Tampa -- Pre-Cruise Hotel Ideas

I intended to stay around the Waterfront or Ybor City the night before my February cruise, but rates are a minimum of $400 including taxes everywhere I looked except for a VRBO place near the port that weekend. There is some sort of international volleyball tournament in town that weekend.

I am currently booked at the Airport Marriott, but don't really want to stay there because...it's...at the airport...if we were getting in at night, I would be all about it, because it is incredibly convenient. So, I am looking for ideas elsewhere without going to St Pete or Clearwater.

Does anyone have any ideas for a hotel outside of the Waterfront/Ybor area I could consider?

In January 2020 (I think, it could have been 2019) we stayed at the Sailport Waterfront Suites on N. Rocky Point Drive.  The rates were good and the rooms nice (not luxurious, but comfortable).  We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.  I believe they even have a Snooze & Cruise package.  The snack bar/grill had great Cuban sandwiches.  The sunset was magnificent and they even had a fire pit.  

When we sailed out of Tampa, we stayed at the "Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)" the night before. Very clean, comfortable, & affordable. (About 4 miles north of the airport)

Big selling point for me was that they provided shuttle service from the airport to the hotel AND complementary shuttle service to the cruise port. Just had to make arrangements with the desk clerk on arrival.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:06 PM, Myisland said:

In January 2020 (I think, it could have been 2019) we stayed at the Sailport Waterfront Suites on N. Rocky Point Drive.  The rates were good and the rooms nice (not luxurious, but comfortable).  We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.  I believe they even have a Snooze & Cruise package.  The snack bar/grill had great Cuban sandwiches.  The sunset was magnificent and they even had a fire pit.  

I used to stay here a lot over 10 years ago and everything was great. It's nice to hear it's still a great place to go.