First time suite cruise, a few questions

najnad

These may sound like simple questions, but just booked a cruise on Allure of the Seas in a Grand Suite and finding it difficult to get clear answers online in searching:

1. Are all of the drinks and food in the Suite & Concierge Lounge complimentary? If yes, can you bring several items back to your room so you dont have to go up to the Lounge later?

2. Are the items available for dinner in the main dining room also available in the Coastal Kitchen? When I was on a Disney cruise they were able to bring you any food option from any food venue. 

3. If we do eat in the Coastal Kitchen, are we still able to go to the main dining room for that same meal (to get a different dessert for instance, if they cant bring it to Coastal Kitchen)?

4. Are kids restricted from the Suite Lounge even to come with us to grab a drink and snack and go after breakfast time?

thanks

Hello fellow GS'er and welcome to the suite life! As one who has done only GS for all my cruises I'll do my best to answer based on experience and information I've seen around.

1 - In a nut shell - yes; all the food is complimentary. The biggest selections of food are at breakfast time when they have the continental spread and at happy hour with the finger food. Same with drinks. And also yes, you can take anything you want back with you.

2 - MDR and Coastal Kitchen have different menus exclusive to each. While there may be some overlap they are not interchangeable.

3 - I don't see why not. No one is monitoring how much you eat on a cruise in the complimentary venues so there's no reason other than time and your stomach capacity why you can't have two dinners.

4 - this one I'm not sure on - sorry! hopefully someone else has a better answer.

3 hours ago, najnad said:

These may sound like simple questions, but just booked a cruise on Allure of the Seas in a Grand Suite and finding it difficult to get clear answers online in searching:

1. Are all of the drinks and food in the Suite & Concierge Lounge complimentary? If yes, can you bring several items back to your room so you dont have to go up to the Lounge later?

2. Are the items available for dinner in the main dining room also available in the Coastal Kitchen? When I was on a Disney cruise they were able to bring you any food option from any food venue. 

3. If we do eat in the Coastal Kitchen, are we still able to go to the main dining room for that same meal (to get a different dessert for instance, if they cant bring it to Coastal Kitchen)?

4. Are kids restricted from the Suite Lounge even to come with us to grab a drink and snack and go after breakfast time?

thanks

I just got back from staying in 2br GS on Allure so....

1. To answer your quest yes and no. Not every drink is complimentary. There is a list of wines and beers that are free from 11am to 11pm and mixed drinks from 5-8pm. It is mostly bottom shelf stuff. So for example if you order Johnny Walker at 2pm, they will charge you but if you order a Bud Light they won't. You can get your drinks and take them back to your room but that is at the discretion of the staff. They may/may not give you several drinks at a time. Tips go a long way into remedying this. The snacks are being served to you, so again ymmv.

2. CK has classic items available on their menu but you won't be able to get the specials associated with the rotating MDR in CK as CK wants you to eat their rotating menu. 

3. Depending on your time you will be able to eat at all the places you want. My party ate at Windjammer before heading to CK a few times. Also remember if you are staying in a suite you can order room service from the MDR. We did it twice because my party wanted a particular entrée but didn't like anything else on the menu, nor want to sit through an extra long dinner service.

4. The suites will have families so I believe the lounge is for everyone. However, they may require them to be masked constantly. I personally spent a lot of time in the lounge and saw none on my sailing. There were plenty of kids at the pools and other locations but never saw any in the lounge.

13 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I just got back from staying in 2br GS on Allure so....

3. Depending on your time you will be able to eat at all the places you want. My party ate at Windjammer before heading to CK a few times. Also remember if you are staying in a suite you can order room service from the MDR. We did it twice because my party wanted a particular entrée but didn't like anything else on the menu, nor want to sit through an extra long dinner service.

oh I'm so glad to hear this is back and running! on Odyssey in Sept they paused the MDR Room service even for suites! It was a bummer cuz one or two nights we struggled to plan a dinner seating around shows and other events.

Ok @najnad…let me be the one to address the elephant in the room. Apparently this is going to be your ‘first time suite cruise’. The most important question you need to ask is, “Will I get hooked on the suites and find it difficult to go back?” 
It’s a question with a simple answer…yes. Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your cruise…enjoy the suite life!😂

I will be honest staying in a GS didn't turn me into a suite snob. I could go either way.....as long as I cruise I don't care what my room looks like. Now I do have a Star class coming up so I may change my mind.

Don't get me wrong the room was nice but I barely spent any time in it. It might have also been the people I am sharing it with. I got the room at a steal but I think the perks are meh and would rather spend the money on something else. 

We definitely took a lot of water out of the SL but were told no about getting MDR food in the CK. Lobster night was different as they would give us the kind from the MDR, but we were told that was the only exception. Again RCG is not consistent so......ymmv.

• 1 month later...

Good to know some of this. We just Royal Up'd from a junior Suite to a 2BR Grand Suite for this Sunday (Anthem) (😄😄😄 - so excited!) so don't know any of this. Breakfast is just continental, right? No hot food, I guess, and has anyone ever seen gluten free options? How about happy hour foods? Not really worried about drinks, since we have the DBP, but am afraid of being spoiled, and not wanting to go back.

1 hour ago, MaryCS62 said:

Good to know some of this. We just Royal Up'd from a junior Suite to a 2BR Grand Suite for this Sunday (Anthem) (😄😄😄 - so excited!) so don't know any of this. Breakfast is just continental, right? No hot food, I guess, and has anyone ever seen gluten free options? How about happy hour foods? Not really worried about drinks, since we have the DBP, but am afraid of being spoiled, and not wanting to go back.

Suites get free room service and also can order from the MDR menu for room service. So definitely order a hot breakfast if you want.

11 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Suite breakfast includes hot food (though I won't lie 'hot' is relative). bacon, sausage, eggs, grits, pancakes, hasbrowns, roasted tomatoes, ham, bagels, cereal, milk, juices, water, toast...I could go on. Lol. I would say the simple 'leave on your door menu' includes most anything you could rustle up at Windjammer.

But yes, you can also do MDR just note you can't pre-arrange that so it'd be something you'd have to call for in the morning vs using it as your wake up call.

Also...welcome to that suite life! There are going to be TONS of perks with you being on a Quantum class + suite (I think that's Sky Class?) so make sure you thoroughly read the email you'll get about 5-7 days before sailing from the concierge AND the folder in the room which will have more sailing-specific perks. Seriously...you'll drown in perks lol

55 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Suite breakfast includes hot food (though I won't lie 'hot' is relative). bacon, sausage, eggs, grits, pancakes, hasbrowns, roasted tomatoes, ham, bagels, cereal, milk, juices, water, toast...I could go on. Lol. I would say the simple 'leave on your door menu' includes most anything you could rustle up at Windjammer.

But yes, you can also do MDR just note you can't pre-arrange that so it'd be something you'd have to call for in the morning vs using it as your wake up call.

Also...welcome to that suite life! There are going to be TONS of perks with you being on a Quantum class + suite (I think that's Sky Class?) so make sure you thoroughly read the email you'll get about 5-7 days before sailing from the concierge AND the folder in the room which will have more sailing-specific perks. Seriously...you'll drown in perks lol

Thanks! We just found out yesterday, & sail on Sunday, so not sure when we'll hear from Concierge, but are looking forward to it. Just have all my fingers & toes crossed that we all test negative Friday & Saturday.

13 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Suites will have an exclusive breakfast venue.  On Oasis and Quantum class ships, this location is the Coastal Kitchen.  For all other ships, Suite will be offered a full service breakfast in one of the specialty restaurants.  It is a very nice suite perk.  As noted above, you can also order room service which will offer a full menu of breakfast items.  The suites breakfast is one of my favorite suite perks.

The Continental breakfast will be offered in the Suites Lounge (assuming the ship is offering that option during COVID).  Of course, you can always get Continental breakfast (or full menu) delivered to your suite if you want.

13 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Anthem has Coastal Kitchen so you will get a cooked to order hot breakfast served at your table in Coastal Kitchen.

Tell your waiters in all dining venues about the requirement for gluten free.  They will check with the kitchen and inform you what modifications can be made to offer a gluten free meal.  You can tell them to skip the conventional bread basket at the table for example.

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

Anthem has Coastal Kitchen so you will get a cooked to order hot breakfast served at your table in Coastal Kitchen.

Tell your waiters in all dining venues about the requirement for gluten free.  They will check with the kitchen and inform you what modifications can be made to offer a gluten free meal.  You can tell them to skip the conventional bread basket at the table for example.

Actually, yes, I'm pretty stoked about being able to use CK for breakfast.  Younger DD is the only gluten free of our party (Celiac, so a necessity, not a choice), and we've never had problems before, was just curious if the suite lounge had anything. It's definitely not a deal breaker, we just won't use it for breakfast

4 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

was just curious if the suite lounge had anything. It's definitely not a deal breaker, we just won't use it for breakfast

It is mostly going to be continental style offerings. No guarantees that any egg based items they may have will be gluten-free. Sometimes they have smoked salmon available or cured meats and cheeses in the lounges at breakfast, but you are likely to have better luck going to Coastal Kitchen for breakfast. Coastal Kitchen on Anthem is right next to the Windjammer which usually has gluten-free items so it should be relatively easy for them to make sure your daughter has something that will work for her.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As noted above, you can also order room service which will offer a full menu of breakfast items.  The suites breakfast is one of my favorite suite perks.

Of course, you can always get Continental breakfast (or full menu) delivered to your suite if you want.

Breakfast on the balcony.  Got to do it at least once.  

Just be careful ordering food.  Read the menu carefully.  Your thinking 2-3 pieces of something,  they're sending you 2-3 orders of it. That's how my wife ended up with 6 pancakes and 9 pieces of bacon one morning. Bacon didn't go to waste though.🙂

1 hour ago, RWDW1204 said:

Breakfast on the balcony.  Got to do it at least once.  

Just be careful ordering food.  Read the menu carefully.  Your thinking 2-3 pieces of something,  they're sending you 2-3 orders of it. That's how my wife ended up with 6 pancakes and 9 pieces of bacon one morning. Bacon didn't go to waste though.🙂

Yes, we did breakfast once or twice on previous cruises, but I agree, a balcony breakfast sounds wonderful!  

Is CK open for lunch on embarkation day? Also, is there more leeway on arrival time if you are in a suite? My DH thought you had an extended time frame, but I don't know if that means you have more time on either side, or if you are 1230, instead of 1230-1, it's 1230-130.

10 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I think that would be 11:30-12:30. I believe it’s an hour early.

our current time (when we chose several weeks ago) is 1230-1.  Just tried to edit it now, and it's still in 1/2 hour increments.  Will just try to pull up to the dropoff about 1225, so as to maximize our time  

5 hours ago, Pooch said:

Suite guests can check in an hour early (at least theoretically!) so if you want to maximize your time, arrive at 11:30.

That is correct. On our Symphony cruise last month, we were told an hour before or after your checkin time. We showed up at 10:30 for our scheduled 11:30 time and were on the ship by 11:00.

5 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

our current time (when we chose several weeks ago) is 1230-1.  Just tried to edit it now, and it's still in 1/2 hour increments.  Will just try to pull up to the dropoff about 1225, so as to maximize our time  

Keep checking the checkin times, they opened up earlier slots close to our sailing date. I moved a 12:30 time to 11:30.