Unrest in St Martin

12 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Which side is the Topper's Distillery on? 

Topper's Rhum is on the Dutch side. We have visited them twice at their original location. 

They have just recently relocated the restaurant and the distillery to Welfare Road in Cole Bay.

39 minutes ago, Jacqui said:

We stopped in St. Maarten on our cruise on Symphony 3 weeks ago.  We did the double decker bus tour which went through both sides of the island.  We didn't see anything concerning, but I think our stops were mostly on the Dutch side.

I booked this excursion too last September.  I booked it again for my sailing on the Oasis this month.  I promised my friends I'd get them flavored rhums from Topper's and I liked the cheese place... ha ha

On 11/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, PG Cruiser said:

I booked this excursion too last September.  I booked it again for my sailing on the Oasis this month.  I promised my friends I'd get them flavored rhums from Topper's and I liked the cheese place... ha ha

I bought a bottle of the peach habanero rum from Toppers.  Pretty much every flavor we tried was good though!

Supposed to be in St Maarten next year after Thanksgiving so hoping that things will be settled down by then or escalated to the point where the ship will just shift to a different port instead.  Not that I really intend to go to many places on the island but wondering what could happen while I am there is a pain.  

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I didn't get the impression the unrest was any cause for safety concern for tourists, just a traffic nuisance that could affect getting back to the ship on time.

Think my joke got lost somewhere lol like the one about french army vehicles only having 1 gear....reverse and the dutch always being stoned and chilling out 🙂

59 minutes ago, Dlove707 said:

Will be in St. Maarten in 2 weeks and booked a tour with Bernards Tours, does anyone think this will cause any disruption with the tour and getting back to the ship on time?

Right now it shouldn't.  Haven't heard a lot in the news but it was all happening on the French side of the island and you will be going into the Dutch side.  After that it's a matter of taking stuff with the cruise line or just avoiding the French side right now, if your tour stays on the Dutch side then it's a non-issue.  The only thing I would worry about is regular traffic for delays though.  My best guess is the tour operator will be avoiding any major problem areas either way.

As best as I can tell it was mainly just some roadblocks and demonstrations so unless something changes between now and then I wouldn't have too many worry's about it.

Bernard's does go to the French side - Marigot, Orient Beach, at least.   

I hate that there are issues but when we were there 3 years ago, it was evident that

the French government wasn't helping their citizens, and probably still haven't done

much.   Hard to blame the residents.

14 hours ago, Dlove707 said:

Will be in St. Maarten in 2 weeks and booked a tour with Bernards Tours, does anyone think this will cause any disruption with the tour and getting back to the ship on time?

I'm farther out than 2 weeks (more like 4), but I'm 100% same. I WANT to visit the French side to get a geocache (it is my VERY serious hobby). Bernard's is my chosen way to go. The last time I was in St. M I didn't get to the french side. In fact it was a miserable. I was in the first stages of Noro. It was a "fun" cruise.

When you get back share with us how it goes.

We just came off Allure of the Seas, did the trolley tour (booked through Shore excursions). It just drove around the capital. Did stop at a cheese store and had about a half hour of shopping in Philipsburg. Looking back over the info we got, the only restrictions where when we got to St. Kitts -all guests had to book a tour through Royal.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:56 AM, BrianAlt said:

What kind of cheese did they have?

“What a senseless waste of human life.”

The shop is called the Amsterdam Cheese shop and Liquor store. I really don't remember , though I did buy a package of asparagus flavored cheese, (haven't tried it yet). many different flavors mild to hot. Got a sampling of 2 gouda type. At the end the tour guide offered either an almond cookie or Hoodsie cup type of ice cream. Some one in our group didn't think much of the vanilla flavor, she also had pistachio didn't get a reaction on that flavor.  

23 hours ago, barjpoe said:

The shop is called the Amsterdam Cheese shop and Liquor store. I really don't remember , though I did buy a package of asparagus flavored cheese, (haven't tried it yet). many different flavors mild to hot. Got a sampling of 2 gouda type. At the end the tour guide offered either an almond cookie or Hoodsie cup type of ice cream. Some one in our group didn't think much of the vanilla flavor, she also had pistachio didn't get a reaction on that flavor.  

The store has skimped on their samples on our visit yesterday.   In September, they had about 3-4 sampling stations and I was able to sample about 10 kinds of cheese.  Yesterday, there was only one station with three kinds of basic cheeses.   No asparagus flavored ones.

Maybe I'm the one to blame here... I tried 10 kinds of cheese but I did not buy any ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I kept my booking with bernards tours and I am actually posting this from the French bakery. We have not ran into any issues at all and our tour guide told us that the issues were pretty much in one certain area which we avoided. The tour has been great and we are now headed to the Dutch side. 

22 minutes ago, Dlove707 said:

For anyone interested, I kept my booking with bernards tours and I am actually posting this from the French bakery. We have not ran into any issues at all and our tour guide told us that the issues were pretty much in one certain area which we avoided. The tour has been great and we are now headed to the Dutch side. 

Thank you!!! That is exactly who I’m booked with!!!