How can we get Celebrity to Galveston

BB1

3 hours ago, BB1 said:

I was just reading how Carnival and Norwegian are both moving their newest, nicest ships to Galveston in 2023. I love Allure and already have bookings but I really like Celebrity and hope they move a ship to Galveston as well. Any rumors?

IMO - do not think it likely.  We really like Celebrity too, but don't see it coming to Galveston.  As Celebrity is part of RCG, the Royal Caribbean is carrying the flag for the company in Galveston (with several options - Freedom, Voyager, and Vision class ships - and Oasis on its way) .  Royal is investing in a new terminal to accommodate Oasis class ships, and there's are rumors about Icon.   Maybe Celebrity could introduce a ship as an exhibition cruise, but I haven't read anything that indicates they will.   Maybe GalvestonSteve has some insights?  

I would love Celebrity to come to Galveston as well. My wife and I want to start cruising on Celebrity more after our son goes to college in a year and a half. Galveston has access to more people than some markets than for example, Tampa, which Celebrity currently sails out of so I don’t want to say never. But I doubt it. 

3 hours ago, BB1 said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I remember asking at Next Cruise if they would ever get an Oasis class ship in Galveston and for a long time I was told it wasn't possible. Who knows?

The terminal and pier upgrade make it possible now - decision and implementation takes a long time.  Big investment driven by an expected a favorable return.  They have to compete with the large, well equipped Carnival and Norwegian neighbors.  I too hope we see Celebrity wander into Galveston.   Would like to see a southern Caribbean (ABC)  to also introduce  a Panama canal itinerary.     The current Galveston itineraries get old pretty quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got home after cruising on Millenium. We had a fantastic time and the entertainment was some of the best we've seen. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that Celebrity will move a ship to Galveston.  It would just be much easier for us but if we have to fly to Florida, we'll just grin and bear it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 4:17 PM, cruisellama said:

Maybe Celebrity could introduce a ship as an exhibition cruise, but I haven't read anything that indicates they will.   Maybe GalvestonSteve has some insights?  

I would love to see Celebrity sail from Galveston, but sadly I have no rumors or insight to offer.  Celebrity Millennium was in Galveston in May of last year to get her crew vaccinated.  That was kind of exciting to see. And Celebrity Galaxy home ported in Galveston in the early 2000's.

I think Celebrity could be a winter brand in Galveston once their fleet gets a bit bigger.  They always seem to make Tampa work so I think there are options.  I imagine they may have a higher percentage of fly-in guests than Royal so opening up embarkation ports outside of Florida is a little more tricky, especially with the Fort Lauderdale terminal investment.  In the summer the vast bulk of their fleet heads to Alaska and Europe.