Laundry services available

HeatherG27

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've always wondered, do they do loads of laundry by stateroom? Or do they mix it? Seems pretty inefficient to just do it by stateroom?

They mix but how varies by ship.  Most will put your clothes in a large mesh bag before it goes into the massive machine.  Some label each article of clothing which is the old fashioned approach.  

• 3 weeks later...

How big is the $34.99 wash and fold "stuff everything you can into this bag" bag? We're thinking ahead to Alaska (Radiance), and trying to compare airline baggage fees vs. just having the ship wash a load for us. Also, is the special offered pretty much from day one, or does it only come up later in the cruise? 

27 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

How big is the $34.99 wash and fold "stuff everything you can into this bag" bag? We're thinking ahead to Alaska (Radiance), and trying to compare airline baggage fees vs. just having the ship wash a load for us. Also, is the special offered pretty much from day one, or does it only come up later in the cruise? 

Here’s the bag with a shirt for size comparison.  It’s usually offered in the middle of 7-night sailings

75AE93CD-4A58-474E-8B8E-2471475AF438.thumb.jpeg.0d314126cfcb0e81273a225b73ac52d6.jpeg

Barring any incidents of delayed or lost luggage, I’d say it’d be better to just pack an extra bag of clothes.

25 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

It's not super big. Perfect for a week's worth of socks, underwear, and a few small items, but one pair of jeans will pretty much fill it.

The $34.99 is available from about day 3, usually. Also, if you're in a suite or you're Diamond or higher you'll get a discount.

In 2020 when I did a back to back for a total of 14 days, I asked our room steward about doing some laundry a couple days before the first cruise ended. 

We had one of those $30ish  bags in the closet, but he got me a different bag that was cheaper and bigger. 

Not sure if that was a one-off because he liked us or not, but it would be worth it to ask your cabin steward what the best way to do laundry is. 

So just to confirm, you need to specifically ask your room attendant for the "stuff everything you can fit" bag? I was considering this last sailing but our room attendant was a magician, room was always top notch and we NEVER saw him. We utilized the door hanger saying when we were out and when we were in "sleeping off the fun" and seriously, left a note for a pillow change and poof it was there in the evening. 

Quiet but efficient, I think he liked it that way. No towel animals except for Thanksgiving but everything else was amazing!

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

So just to confirm, you need to specifically ask your room attendant for the "stuff everything you can fit" bag?

I’m not sure what the actual deal is. 

When I asked, I was unsure of the procedure and asked our steward for help with the process.  My wife and I thought he was just being nice when he brought me a different bag. 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Sealdriver said:

Not sure if people have seen this, but here is a helpful YT video on how to maximize use of space in the laundry bag. These folks fit a lot more than one might expect into that little bag by tightly rolling their shirts/pants. 

Phil

On some ships the laundry crew transfer the contents of the bag you cram into a mesh bag that keeps your contents together.  When you cram too much into the bag it all gets scrammed into the slightly larger mesh bag and then into the laundry.  When too much is in the bag the clothes don't get properly washed.  This has been discussed on behind the scenes tours with the laundry crew.   You may not be outsmarting the system as much as you think you are.