Help! Need to plan a LAND TOUR in UK and I only know cruises!

Jill

Start with Edinburgh ...St Andrews for the open  is a lovely village if a bit windy..there is a nice restaurant called the Dolls House in town ..We stayed at Aviemore in the Cairngorms then Inverness , travelled across to Skye then Loch Ness followed by Glasgow....from there down to Stratford upon Avon and onwards to London....it really depends on how much time you have and how willing you are to keep moving....Britain is full of wonderful places with history and scenery whichever route you take it will be rewarding

We did Scotland with our RV in 2019. St. Andrews is cute but not very big. If you're into city trips, I'd recommend Edinburgh and Glasgow - we were pleasantly surprised by the latter. If you're planning a roundtrip, I'd also recommend Dumfries, Fort William, Neptune's Staircase, Glen Coe, Isle of Mull with a trip to Staffa and Iona, Tobermory, Mallaig & Glenfinnan (for the Harry Potter train), Isle of Skye, Corrieshalloch Gorge, Aberdeen, Dundee, Crail, South Queensferry, Falkirk Wheel. For Dan Brown fans Rosslyn Chapel is a must see. For the 'castle and gardens' experience, we liked Culzean Castle. There's so much beautiful nature in Scotland and so many roads that are worth your time - and you'll need the time because many are single track. Not to worry, we managed with 2 RVs so you'll be fine with a car.

And if you have time to venture out of Scotland, we visited York on our trip to the ferry in Dover - I'd say it's my favourite city in the UK, but I might be biased because of Harry Potter. I've also been to Ireland and Northern Ireland a few times and therefore through England and Wales, mostly with our RV but we did our honeymoon in Ireland in B&Bs. I'd say if you plan a roundtrip B&Bs will be your best option. There will be agencies specializing in that kind of vacation, so they can lay out a plan based on your time, they should also be able to recommend special accommodations like castles or mansions.

11 hours ago, Neaxan said:

We did Scotland with our RV in 2019. St. Andrews is cute but not very big. If you're into city trips, I'd recommend Edinburgh and Glasgow - we were pleasantly surprised by the latter. If you're planning a roundtrip, I'd also recommend Dumfries, Fort William, Neptune's Staircase, Glen Coe, Isle of Mull with a trip to Staffa and Iona, Tobermory, Mallaig & Glenfinnan (for the Harry Potter train), Isle of Skye, Corrieshalloch Gorge, Aberdeen, Dundee, Crail, South Queensferry, Falkirk Wheel. For Dan Brown fans Rosslyn Chapel is a must see. For the 'castle and gardens' experience, we liked Culzean Castle. There's so much beautiful nature in Scotland and so many roads that are worth your time - and you'll need the time because many are single track. Not to worry, we managed with 2 RVs so you'll be fine with a car.

And if you have time to venture out of Scotland, we visited York on our trip to the ferry in Dover - I'd say it's my favourite city in the UK, but I might be biased because of Harry Potter. I've also been to Ireland and Northern Ireland a few times and therefore through England and Wales, mostly with our RV but we did our honeymoon in Ireland in B&Bs. I'd say if you plan a roundtrip B&Bs will be your best option. There will be agencies specializing in that kind of vacation, so they can lay out a plan based on your time, they should also be able to recommend special accommodations like castles or mansions.

Thank you! This is very helpful! We’re so lost planning this trip! Lol We’re planning on 10 days and hope to get to Ireland too. England would be a bonus. 

11 hours ago, Jill said:

Thank you! This is very helpful! We’re so lost planning this trip! Lol We’re planning on 10 days and hope to get to Ireland too. England would be a bonus. 

10 days is not much. For comparison, we had 3 and a half weeks and didn't make it round Scotland. We just made it to Ullapool and then backtracked via Inverness, Aberdeen and Dundee to Edinburgh. But we lost a few days to get there and get home and we went hiking a few days. If you want to do Scotland and Ireland, you might feel quite rushed. Again for comparison, we did a 3 week vacation for Northern Ireland and got from Dublin to Galway, also a 3 week vacation for the South of Ireland from Dublin to Galway. You can be faster of course, but it includes quite a bit of driving. For our 10 day honeymoon we did the South of Ireland from Dublin to Clifden. This was with a rental car in B&Bs, so you didn't have 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back. The other vacations were in our RV.

59 minutes ago, Neaxan said:

10 days is not much. For comparison, we had 3 and a half weeks and didn't make it round Scotland. We just made it to Ullapool and then backtracked via Inverness, Aberdeen and Dundee to Edinburgh. But we lost a few days to get there and get home and we went hiking a few days. If you want to do Scotland and Ireland, you might feel quite rushed. Again for comparison, we did a 3 week vacation for Northern Ireland and got from Dublin to Galway, also a 3 week vacation for the South of Ireland from Dublin to Galway. You can be faster of course, but it includes quite a bit of driving. For our 10 day honeymoon we did the South of Ireland from Dublin to Clifden. This was with a rental car in B&Bs, so you didn't have 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back. The other vacations were in our RV.

This trip fell in our lap this week. Unfortunately it is coming between our May 10 night Alaska cruise and our October 12 night Holy Land/Best of Greece cruise with 3 days in Rome afterwards. We also just got off Symphony 2 weeks ago and have Wonder in March. This trip will definitely need budgeting lol. We also live on a farm in Florida and we NEVER go away in the summer due to hurricanes. 10 days is all we can realistically do. 

35 minutes ago, Jill said:

This trip fell in our lap this week. Unfortunately it is coming between our May 10 night Alaska cruise and our October 12 night Holy Land/Best of Greece cruise with 3 days in Rome afterwards. We also just got off Symphony 2 weeks ago and have Wonder in March. This trip will definitely need budgeting lol. We also live on a farm in Florida and we NEVER go away in the summer due to hurricanes. 10 days is all we can realistically do. 

Just pick your must sees depending on what you're interested in most. I'd say less is more so you can really enjoy what you want to see and don't feel rushed. Glasgow and Edinburgh alone need 1 day each. Btw if you want to visit Edinburgh castle make sure you buy your tickets in advance. 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:47 PM, Jill said:

Is this a 10 day trip including the 4 days for the golf? Or 10 days travelling after the golf? 

As has been mentioned even 10 days is a short time to do Scotland nevermind throwing in Ireland. 

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Is this a 10 day trip including the 4 days for the golf? Or 10 days travelling after the golf? 

As has been mentioned even 10 days is a short time to do Scotland nevermind throwing in Ireland. 

We’ve decided to just focus on Scotland. We only have tickets for Monday/Tuesday practice rounds. So far we booked an Airbnb in Pittenweem on the ocean. It’s a cute fishing village about 15 minutes from St. Andrews. 

My own personal opinion is that Edinburgh ( pronounced edd in burra not eid in burg ) is the only major city worth visiting.

If flying in to Edinburgh i would head to where you are staying then from there head for Perth. From Perth take the road over the mountains to Braemar ( Queens Scottish Home is here ) you can then head from there to Inverness then down west coast by Oban and Inveraray before heading back over to Edinburgh or Glasgow for flight home. 

Its a loop of Scotland on country roads not motorway taking in some of the best scenery scotland has to offer.

Lots of little villages and towns you can stay away from the concrete jungles 

Ps check out Groupon App for cheap B&B deals, restaurants, hotels etc in Scotland