Anthem or Jewel for Norwegian Fjords?

Jill

Soooooo this is a bucket list cruise that was supposed to happen in another 2-3 years however……hubby won the ticket lottery for the British Open for this coming summer. St Andrews, Scotland, the 150th anniversary. I mean how much more awesome could that get? 

So of course my mind starts churning. Hmmmm if we’re flying across the pond, may as well try and cross off either the British isles cruise or the fjords. Well no British isles lines up with the Open. Can do anthem to the fjords, then take the train to Scotland after we disembark. 

Here’s the conundrum: I kind of had my heart set originally on Jewel out of Amsterdam to the fjords. 

Obviously Anthem out of Southampton is the logical choice plus the only one that aligns with the tournament. 

Those that have done the fjords do you have an opinion on which ship is best? 

It may be a mute point if his tickets end up being for day 1 or 2 as we wouldn’t get off Anthem until day 2 of the tournament. His tickets would have to be for the final 2 rounds. 

I’d like to at least put a refundable deposit down but if I should hold out for Jewel, I’ll just wait. 

32 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Is there any difference between the fjords pprts between Jewel and Anthem ?  The first might go to ports the bigger ship couldn't.

Anthem: Stavanger, Geiranger, Alesund, Kristiansand

Jewel: Geiranger, Alesund, Kristainsand, Olden, Flam

I'd pick Jewel over Anthem for the itinerary, and also the fantastic window spaces on the Radiance Class ship. I haven't done Norway, but I've done a Quantum Class ship in Alaska and, having sailed on a Radiance Class ship, I'd prefer that for fantastic views.  The public spaces on Quantum Class ships just don't have enough sea views for me.

36 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'd pick Jewel over Anthem for the itinerary, and also the fantastic window spaces on the Radiance Class ship. I haven't done Norway, but I've done a Quantum Class ship in Alaska and, having sailed on a Radiance Class ship, I'd prefer that for fantastic views.  The public spaces on Quantum Class ships just don't have enough sea views for me.

Time and again I hear people talk about the glass on Radiance class which was a major selling point for the ship when this class was first introduced but... Anthem has much more floor to ceiling glass if you venture out to find it.  The family pool area is a good example.  Floor to ceiling glass, a wall of glass for a hundred feet that leads into the Solarium which is floor to ceiling glass, a wall of another hundred feet of glass. And then the forward views from the Quantum class Solarium in colder climates that blows away anything like it on Radiance class.  

I like small ships and the extra ports they can access, but I also appreciate the modern decor and everything that Anthem brings, including one of the best West End shows at sea.  

Both have aft external Windjammer seating.  

Anthem has North Star that in places with fjords is really pretty special.

Plus on dry days I still revel in my memories sitting outside at the North Star bar, up high, on Quantum class watching the beauty of Alaska sail by.  Heck even in light rain I sat out there by myself enjoying the scenery float by.

I've sailed both class in Alaska and I have both booked next year for Alaska but I never understand why people cling to that old marketing line about Radiance class being ships of windows.  They were in their day, but I really enjoy all the glass that Quantum class has for colder climates.  It's just higher up on Q class.

I found the bar and restaurant spaces on Ovation to be not as nice as on Radiance class.  I don't relish hanging out on the pool deck.  I remember the Schooner Bar on Jewel having tons of window space, where it seemed dark and lacking in windows on Ovation.  You can't see the ocean at all from Izumi, or anywhere on the Esplanade.  To each their own.

7 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I found the bar and restaurant spaces on Ovation to be not as nice as on Radiance class.  I don't relish hanging out on the pool deck.  I remember the Schooner Bar on Jewel having tons of window space, where it seemed dark and lacking in windows on Ovation.  You can't see the ocean at all from Izumi, or anywhere on the Esplanade.  To each their own.

You are dead on about the restaurants and bars on Q class which is why I suspect they put Playmakers on Odyssey in the SeaPlex and Hibachi up higher with a wall of windows.  That being said, I tend to eat in restaurants and move on.  When I am in bucket list destinations I am all over the ship.  As you say, to each their own.    

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

You are dead on about the restaurants and bars on Q class which is why I suspect they put Playmakers on Odyssey in the SeaPlex and Hibachi up higher with a wall of windows.  That being said, I tend to eat in restaurants and move on.  When I am in bucket list destinations I am all over the ship.  As you say, to each their own.    

I think they really hit the nail on the head by moving those spaces up and opening them up.  We're really looking forward to boarding Odyssey in  January.

10 hours ago, Jill said:

That’s the one I’m looking at! British Open is the 10th through the 17th so just have to see what tickets he gets. I may throw a refundable deposit down until we find out which day he gets. 

Well the Open tickets are for Monday and Tuesday practice rounds (July 11/12) so no Fjords cruise this time for us. 

Heads up @Sharla. Looks like we need to plan a UK land tour! 😁