Should a No-Show Check In?

melmar02

We're 5 passengers in a 2BR GS on Liberty in a couple months. Sadly my MIL is leaning toward not joining (still not ready to travel), and instead of inviting someone else, we plan on her just being a no-show if that's her final decision. If she does not go with us, do we still need her to check in when it's available for any reason? Is there any negative impact to the rest of us that will still be sailing if she does not complete the check in process?

15 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

If she does not go with us, do we still need her to check in when it's available for any reason? Is there any negative impact to the rest of us that will still be sailing if she does not complete the check in process?

Nope. I'll be honest and I check my wife in when she is a now show just in case a last minute change of heart.

We had a situation years ago where my brother and his girlfriend parted ways and our TA said that based on occupancy rules for the cabin it was better for us to change the name to a friend and check him in and have him not show. 

We asked around if anyone else wanted to join us; but, no one did. We swapped the name to my friend. We checked him in and kept the room. We got the port fees and taxes refunded back. 

14 hours ago, melmar02 said:

We're 5 passengers in a 2BR GS on Liberty in a couple months. Sadly my MIL is leaning toward not joining (still not ready to travel), and instead of inviting someone else, we plan on her just being a no-show if that's her final decision. If she does not go with us, do we still need her to check in when it's available for any reason? Is there any negative impact to the rest of us that will still be sailing if she does not complete the check in process?

Do you get her fare back when she no show though ?

5 hours ago, RCLRING said:

Do you get her fare back when she no show though ?

No, we would not get her fare back. However, if we took her off the reservation, it would probably reprice us to today's price which is so much higher than when we booked. Right now, we're in our 2 BR suite for less than $500 per day. I'm not messing that up!

11 hours ago, columbus_cruiser said:

We had a situation years ago where my brother and his girlfriend parted ways and our TA said that based on occupancy rules for the cabin it was better for us to change the name to a friend and check him in and have him not show

I recall reading about a similar situation once where the ex-girlfriend, out of spite, cancelled the reservation b/c she was still officially on it and could cancel.  I totally agree....if there is any chance that someone could cancel the reservation, get that person's name OFF of the reservation....and adding a new "ghost" passenger is the way to keep the booking from repricing.

late to this thread...sorry! 

if there's 2 of us booked in a double-occupancy cabin and the other no longer wants to go, but I want to keep it as a (now) solo traveler, would that automatically trigger a re-price no matter what?  

this is probably going to play out in Feb for us on a quick 3-nighter on Freedom.  all we have paid so far is a $100 deposit for each of us.  sounds like @Matt has been on this rodeo before. 

5 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

if there's 2 of us booked in a double-occupancy cabin and the other no longer wants to go, but I want to keep it as a (now) solo traveler, would that automatically trigger a re-price no matter what?  

If you remove or add someone from the reservation, yes, it can cause a price change.

You're probably better off just no-showing with the other person. Trust me when I say that no one cares (in a good way lol)

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

If you remove or add someone from the reservation, yes, it can cause a price change.

You're probably better off just no-showing with the other person. Trust me when I say that no one cares (in a good way lol)

I figured as much lol.  

the only wrinkle is that I'm the one with all the FCCs in my name, because I've been churning bookings during the pandemic.  so I risk paying more in cash for both of us, knowing that the 2nd person won't be there.  even if it's a moderate increase in price for just me, I could probably cover all of it in FCCs 🤷‍♂️

I might wait for any Black Friday deals and look at a reprice for a solo and see what happens.  I can always just tell them "never mind"