Canadian's require PCR test 3 days before the flight

@Canadian Cruisers

Sorry to bother you

to understand the research I did and by reading your comments

3 family members are vaccinated, they require quick antigen test 2 days before the flight.

1 family member 11yrs old is not vaccinated due to his age, he requires a (PCR or Antigen test)? before the flight?  if anitgen then I'm ok

RCL requires the following

• Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. 
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 3 days before boarding day. Kids’ pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids’ test at the terminal.

So which means i can go to Shoppers Drug Mart the day before and get 4 quick antigen test (15 min wait usually), then I'm good for the Flight and boarding the ship?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

4 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

So which means i can go to Shoppers Drug Mart the day before and get 4 quick antigen test (15 min wait usually), then I'm good for the Flight and boarding the ship?

This will get all 4 of you on the flight and 3 of you on the ship. The 11 year old will require a PCR test before boarding I believe

On 11/8/2021 at 7:50 PM, Canadian-Cruiser said:

More from the Q&A Section of the CDC Site updated NOV 8:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#fully-vaccinated

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure and the 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses 1-day and 3-day time frames instead of 24 hours and 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day and 3-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if you are fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after. If you are not fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

If the first flight in your trip is delayed past the 1-day or 3-day limit of testing due to a situation outside of your control (e.g., delays because of severe weather or aircraft mechanical problem), and that delay is 24 hours or less past the 1-day or 3-day limit for testing, you do not need to be retested. If the delay is more than 24 hours past the 1- day or 3-day limit, then you will need to be retested.

If a connecting flight in your trip is delayed past the 1-day or 3-day limit of testing due to a situation outside of your control (e.g., delays because of severe weather or aircraft mechanical problem), and that delay is less than 48 hours past the 1-day or 3-day limit for testing, you do not need to be retested. If the delay is more than 48 hours past the 1-day or 3-day limit, then you will need to be retested.

@Vancity Cruiser @Jax @KWong @Rob&Ana @WannaCruise @cruiserccl @Rene Desmarais @RG306

21 minutes ago, Canadian-Cruiser said:

You need a PCR Test to re enter Canada. Royal is providing this PCR at no charge currently for guests needing it for re entry to their home countries.

For boarding the kids under 12 are tested prior to embarkation at no charge however they will need a test taken at least a day before arriving

Ok, so My 11yr old will require the following tests

1) prior to the flight   - antigen test at home (day before the flight to Miami)

2) when we land in Miami, we stay at a hotel(overnight) 

3) at embarkation day he gets a PCR test...

9 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

Ok, so My 11yr old will require the following tests

1) prior to the flight   - antigen test at home (day before the flight to Miami)

2) when we land in Miami, we stay at a hotel(overnight) 

3) at embarkation day he gets a PCR test...

No

One test before boarding flight (antigen for all of you will suffice)

One test at embarkation - the cruise line will give him a PCR test

No need for a test when you land.

40 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

This is too confusing..   I'm gonna cancel the cruise 

It's really not that confusing, albeit annoying.

If you're vaccinated, you need an antigen or PCR test within 2 days of the cruise. Or on the day of the cruise.

If you're not vaccinated, you need an antigen or PCR test within 3 days of the cruise, then you'll be tested again via PCR at no cost to you at the pier during check-in.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, DperronFF said:

I’m cruising December 12 th on liberty of the seas. Does royal Caribbean provide PCR tests free of charge onboard at the end of my cruise so I can re enter canada?

if anyone could help me out with that answer that would be greatly appreciated. 

I thought I was able to check this off my list, but now RCCL has removed it from their website.

It used to say that they will provide a complimentary covid test (whatever test is required) for those guests who are required to provide one to return to our home country. Now it's been removed and I'm unclear as to whether it's showing elsewhere since it appears that some people are still getting their PCR tests done on the day before debarkation.

I even had a RCCL agent confirm this when I made the booking. 

We are going directly home after the cruise so we were relying on getting tested before disembarking.

Don't cancel your cruise out of frustration, just simplify things to make it easier.  I have a question that may make things less frustrating.

1) How many days prior to embarkation day do you plan on arriving in the U.S.?  

If you are arriving in the U.S. 2 days or less prior to embarkation day then you only need one COVID test.  The test you use to enter the US would still be good on embarkation day if you arrive in the U.S. 2 days or less to embarkation day.  

If you plan on spending more time in the U.S. 3 or more day before embarkation then you will need 2 COVID test to board the ship.

Lets say you plan on spending 4 days relaxing in Miami prior to embarkation day, you would need a test to enter the U.S. and then 2 days prior to embarkation you would then need a a second test to board the ship.  

There are a ton of COVID testing facilities in Miami that you can go to, or you can buy an at  home COVID test through Royal's website.

So its not complicated at all the numbers of test you need ALL depends how early you arrive in the US before embarkation day.

Next year, we fly to Amsterdam for our British Isles cruise (Jewel) and I planned our flight according to today's requirement just to be safe.  We need no more than 3 days before our flight and 2 days for the cruise so we will get our test the morning (Wednesday) of our afternoon flight and can use the same test for boarding our cruise on Friday.  It was the less stressful choice for us (hopefully)!  Who knows what the restrictions will be by August; however, here's hoping that we don't have to test at all.

2 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Don't cancel your cruise out of frustration, just simplify things to make it easier.  I have a question that may make things less frustrating.

1) How many days prior to embarkation day do you plan on arriving in the U.S.?  

If you are arriving in the U.S. 2 days or less prior to embarkation day then you only need one COVID test.  The test you use to enter the US would still be good on embarkation day if you arrive in the U.S. 2 days or less to embarkation day.  

If you plan on spending more time in the U.S. 3 or more day before embarkation then you will need 2 COVID test to board the ship.

Lets say you plan on spending 4 days relaxing in Miami prior to embarkation day, you would need a test to enter the U.S. and then 2 days prior to embarkation you would then need a a second test to board the ship.  

There are a ton of COVID testing facilities in Miami that you can go to, or you can buy an at  home COVID test through Royal's website.

So its not complicated at all the numbers of test you need ALL depends how early you arrive in the US before embarkation day.

thanks for the info, unfortunately already cancelled the cruise

3 hours ago, cruiserccl said:

I thought I was able to check this off my list, but now RCCL has removed it from their website.

It used to say that they will provide a complimentary covid test (whatever test is required) for those guests who are required to provide one to return to our home country. Now it's been removed and I'm unclear as to whether it's showing elsewhere since it appears that some people are still getting their PCR tests done on the day before debarkation.

I even had a RCCL agent confirm this when I made the booking. 

We are going directly home after the cruise so we were relying on getting tested before disembarking.

Same! We made sure it was offered so our trip home would work. Im worried now. Can't find it anywhere.

29 minutes ago, Marlena said:

Same! We made sure it was offered so our trip home would work. Im worried now. Can't find it anywhere.

When I looked at the app for my cruise, it still shows it under "Departure testing" under Healthy Cruising.

But it's unsettling that it was removed from the website. 

Even though I have a screenshot of what it was when I booked my cruise, will it really help me when I inquire and they tell me it's no longer available.

There's been mention of the testing at the port when we disembark...but I don't see any wording.

I just wish it would be very clear because it makes a difference between going or cancelling since it's one of the reasons I felt we could book it.

A few days ago, Celebrity announced that they were ending this as more international guests can travel again.  They said they would honour the complimentary test for bookings made before November 16, 2021, but bookings from November 16, 2021 and onwards, they would be charging a fee of $55 for antigen and $95 for PCR.  I wonder if this has anything with it disappearing off Royal's site. 

I have long said that for myself, it is not a make or break factor.  Complimentary is great, if I have to pay, I will, that is the cost of travelling right now.

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

A few days ago, Celebrity announced that they were ending this as more international guests can travel again.  They said they would honour the complimentary test for bookings made before November 16, 2021, but bookings from November 16, 2021 and onwards, they would be charging a fee of $55 for antigen and $95 for PCR.  I wonder if this has anything with it disappearing off Royal's site. 

I have long said that for myself, it is not a make or break factor.  Complimentary is great, if I have to pay, I will, that is the cost of travelling right now.

I'm wondering why RCCL hasn't announced this. I would hope that if we book when it was still being offered, they would continue to honour it.

Walgreens has the NAAT test, which is accepted in Canada for entry and it's a quicker turnaround time (24 hours)- and I believe this test is done no charge.   You can book on the Walgreens website about a week out - so I'm planning to book our test the day we board (12th) so we can tested after we disembark Sunday (19th) for our Tuesday (21st) flight home.   

Obviously this isn't a solution for those who are flying home the day of disembarkation.    Unfortunately if we are tested on the 18th on the ship our PCR test may not still be valid for our 2:00pm flight on the 21st, unless the ship will test us LATE in the day (and even then, if our flight is delayed even by a couple of hours we'll be in big trouble)   It's a hot mess - I wish Canada would move to a 3 day testing window rather than 72 hours...

From the Walgreens site showing different testing options:   Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

And the travel.gc.ca website states:

Types of pre-entry test

• Rapid antigen tests aren't accepted.

Accepted types of molecular tests

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)