Covid Vaccine Mandate

Kaci

Hello Everyone.

We are cruising on December 26th for a bucket list trip for my father. There is 9 of us going. 1 adult whom is not vaccinated, is going to be the deal breaker on the entire vacation. When we booked it was not mandated, now it is. We are FL residents leaving from Port Canaveral and now going to Mexico and CocoCay. Does anyone know what or if there is anything we can do?

44 minutes ago, Kaci said:

Does anyone know what or if there is anything we can do?

Welcome to the message boards.

Under the Cruise with Confidence program, you can cancel up to 48 hours before your sail date and get a 100% future cruise credit with no penalties.

Then you could book a different cruise for the future when perhaps that one adult gets vaccinated, or maybe if protocols change.

1 hour ago, Kaci said:

Hello Everyone.

We are cruising on December 26th for a bucket list trip for my father. There is 9 of us going. 1 adult whom is not vaccinated, is going to be the deal breaker on the entire vacation. When we booked it was not mandated, now it is. We are FL residents leaving from Port Canaveral and now going to Mexico and CocoCay. Does anyone know what or if there is anything we can do?

Once the December vaccination protocols are released, and assuming they will not allow your unvaccinated adult to go (almost a certainty), you can cancel your cruise for a full refund.  This will probably require you to pay your cruise balance in full, first. That is the catch.  So if you're not willing to pay out the full amount for the cruise up front and then get a refund about 30-45 days later, then you will have to go with @Matt's recommendation and get a future cruise credit. I have used the cash refund process 8 times now since August 2021 (and I also have 2 coming up in Dec. too, which will almost certainly suffer the same fate), so it does work....but it isn't fast and your money is tied up for some time.

You also have the option of having your non-vaccinated family member be a "no-show" which would not reprice your cruise.  That person simply does not show up on cruise day.  In that case you would receive a refund of only that person's taxes and port fees (the cruise fare for the no-show would not be refunded).  ...but of course that would require you to sail without the unvaccinated person...

Another thing to consider is that the final payment for cruises through March 31, 2022 (including yours) is not due until 30 days prior to sailing.  This applies towards booking made directly through the cruise line and through travel agents.  If you've made any payments already you should be able to get that back as cash until the 26th of November.

The downsides of doing the 100% future cruise credit that Matt mentioned is that you'd have to book a sailing to use the credit by April 30th, 2022 that departs before December 31, 2022.  Also, future cruise credits are credited to each individual rather than a lump sum that can be used for a different mix of people.  So if a few people from the original party couldn't make it to the next booking, their credits would be forfeited as they cannot be transferred.  I believe the only exception would be for your father's future cruise credit based on his vaccination status.

I'd make the cancelation before the 26th of this month if him not going is truly going to be a deal-breaker.  Dealing with the future cruise credits or canceling after final payment were made would be more hassle than it's worth.

56 minutes ago, emmef said:

Another, seemingly less popular option, is that the one person who is not vaccinated could go down to CVS or Walgreens and get one J&J shot in the arm 14 days before the cruise departs.  Everyone gets to cruise and your father's vacation is great.

+1 for the J&J vaccine.  Very low rates of side effects in comparison to the Moderna or Pfizer shots, plus you only need 1 shot.  I got my J&J booster last week and had absolutely no side effects.

Getting vaccinated is a personal choice and social and mainstream media have a big impact on people's views on its safety and effectiveness.  If people aren't vaccinated at this point, I feel it would be hard to change their mind.

Unfortunately, They are not willing to vaccinate. I am even struggling with the testing because we cannot find anyone that will be open on Christmas Eve or Christmas day to test us and receive results back by the day after Christmas at boarding..... It seems like this is becoming a very rough ride. I appreciate the ideas. 

3 minutes ago, Kaci said:

I am even struggling with the testing because we cannot find anyone that will be open on Christmas Eve or Christmas day to test us and receive results back by the day after Christmas at boarding..... It seems like this is becoming a very rough ride. I appreciate the ideas. 

Just order the proctored at-home tests. It's so easy and you do it on your own schedule.

I am in the same situation... even same NYE cruise which we will sorely miss... been a tradition since our daughter was 3 years old! Adults are all vaccinated but will not be vaccinating our 12 year daughter until there are many more years of research to come... I wish Royal would use the same protocols in the US as they do in foreign countries... Only over 18 required to vax.... It seems excessive to fly to Barcelona or Cyprus to get on a cruise but it is becoming more and more tempting....😝  You can contact special_needs@rccl.com for what they require for exemptions but the list is short as to what they accept.  

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

The proctored version at home is accepted.

https://store.optum.com/royal-caribbean/

You might want to order an extra one just in case.

But not accepted for unvaccinated kids (thanks, CDC).

If testing remains past Jan 15 (I assume it will), I hope RC allows the at home test to be used for kids.