Sailing from Tampa to Costa Maya Mexico - How long to warm up usually

levib2

I remember cruising from Ft. Lauderdale years ago the 2nd week of December and it was absolutely freezing when we boarded ship.  Don't remember where we went or when it got warm.

We are sailing from Tampa same timeframe and wondering what the "usual" number of sailing hours would be to warm up on a cruise to Mexico.   I know there are no guarantees!

Even coming from northern New England, we bring a mid-weight jacket when going down south during the winter months. 

As much as I like to say I don’t get cold in the South during the winter, there are raw windy days where I want a jacket. 

We brought jackets with us this week on our Freedom sailings “just in case”. 

1 hour ago, Jus10m said:

I will let you know as I'm boarding in a few hours. Like Waaaytooo said it's 'cold' to the locals here in Tampa but it feels nice to me. I'll let you know when I get back end of the week when it felt warm!

Thanks.  We live in Tampa and I looked like I was going out to the Tundra when I walked the dog this morning....50's brrrr.  

When we sailed out of Tampa the first week of December 2019 it was warm enough to wear shorts and short sleeves at sail away. Then two months later in February 2020 it was quite chilly as we sailed out of Tampa Bay. My son actually went back to the stateroom to get his hoodie before we enjoyed sailing under the Skyway. It was very windy that evening so the wind chill was in full effect. The next morning we had sailed far enough south that it had warmed up enough for him to swim in the pool, and by that afternoon it was quite warm and tropical. 

5 hours ago, Firefly said:

When we sailed out of Tampa the first week of December 2019 it was warm enough to wear shorts and short sleeves at sail away. Then two months later in February 2020 it was quite chilly as we sailed out of Tampa Bay. My son actually went back to the stateroom to get his hoodie before we enjoyed sailing under the Skyway. It was very windy that evening so the wind chill was in full effect. The next morning we had sailed far enough south that it had warmed up enough for him to swim in the pool, and by that afternoon it was quite warm and tropical. 

Thanks  Just what I was looking for!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from the cruise, the first night was a little chilly (but like some of the previous people who posted I always wear shorts unless going to the MDR so I guess cold/warm is subjective). Blue jeans and a light windbreaker seemed to be the norm on the ship day 1. I was one of the very few wearing shorts 😆.  The first sea day morning we were about even with Miami in terms of latitude and the temp was just above  70 F.

I'm sure you are probably aware, but there is a solarium area on the ship where the glass roof can be closed and opened. It was very comfortable the entire cruise (if not hot while in Costa Maya and Cozumel). I only saw the roof retracted while we were in port in Tampa.  I swam every day in the solarium pool and the first sea day the water was a bit cold in the morning, but the sunshine really warmed the water up quickly! Pool temp was nice every day (to me).

The remainder of the cruise was warm. Costa Maya, Cozumel and the final sea day there was no need for a jacket. The crew of the ship went overboard to make sure everyone was having a great time.

We had an awesome time. I hope you enjoy your cruise!!