Would you fly or drive?

Being in Illinois, we have flown to every cruise we did - including our one this year.

I made to sure to get the KN95 masks for the flights and wipes for all surfaces as well as my hand sanitizer. It was weird being so close to strangers but I felt safe enough considering they did things right as well.

That said - if a drive to Florida was more feasible (it's 24 hours according to google - so an easy 2 days and I'm still paying for a hotel) we would do it. Not having to stress over the weight of my luggage alone would be a godsend.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:40 AM, WannaCruise said:

I know everyone's situation is different, but torn with what do to for our Dec cruise out of New Jersey:

• 10 hr drive (or much more with regular stops)
  • 1.5 hr flight

We are all vaccinated.  Obviously without covid, the 1.5 hr flight would win.  Flying is much quicker (of course, there is still the time that you spend driving to the airport, and check in and waiting, etc).  But then we are exposing ourselves more than with driving.  Having said that, at least everyone at the airport will have a negative covid test and be vaccinated.

With driving, 10hrs is still long, especially for kids.  And the big issue for us, or me, is that I have back issues and can't sit for long...so that would mean stopping every 30-60 minutes.  We would probably leave 2 days before (after our antigen test) to spread out the drive so there would still be an extra hotel stop.  And this all assumes good weather (Toronto to New Jersey), which you can't really assume in Dec.

One pro though with driving is if one of us tests positive on the ship, then we could drive home and quarantine (not sure the logistics of washroom breaks).  With flying, we would be stuck in a hotel in New Jersey.  (If we fly, DH and I are going to bring our laptop in case this happens so we can work...haven't decided yet about kids laptops for school).

For those that have the choice, are you driving or flying?  And how long is the drive?

Do you feel that flying is safe?

I fly from Ohio and have zero concerns about flying. As long as you are masked up, you’ll be ok.