Would you fly or drive?

I know everyone's situation is different, but torn with what do to for our Dec cruise out of New Jersey:

• 10 hr drive (or much more with regular stops)
  • 1.5 hr flight

We are all vaccinated.  Obviously without covid, the 1.5 hr flight would win.  Flying is much quicker (of course, there is still the time that you spend driving to the airport, and check in and waiting, etc).  But then we are exposing ourselves more than with driving.  Having said that, at least everyone at the airport will have a negative covid test and be vaccinated.

With driving, 10hrs is still long, especially for kids.  And the big issue for us, or me, is that I have back issues and can't sit for long...so that would mean stopping every 30-60 minutes.  We would probably leave 2 days before (after our antigen test) to spread out the drive so there would still be an extra hotel stop.  And this all assumes good weather (Toronto to New Jersey), which you can't really assume in Dec.

One pro though with driving is if one of us tests positive on the ship, then we could drive home and quarantine (not sure the logistics of washroom breaks).  With flying, we would be stuck in a hotel in New Jersey.  (If we fly, DH and I are going to bring our laptop in case this happens so we can work...haven't decided yet about kids laptops for school).

For those that have the choice, are you driving or flying?  And how long is the drive?

Do you feel that flying is safe?

22 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

I know everyone's situation is different, but torn with what do to for our Dec cruise out of New Jersey:

• 10 hr drive (or much more with regular stops)
  • 1.5 hr flight

We are all vaccinated.  Obviously without covid, the 1.5 hr flight would win.  Flying is much quicker (of course, there is still the time that you spend driving to the airport, and check in and waiting, etc).  But then we are exposing ourselves more than with driving.  Having said that, at least everyone at the airport will have a negative covid test and be vaccinated.

With driving, 10hrs is still long, especially for kids.  And the big issue for us, or me, is that I have back issues and can't sit for long...so that would mean stopping every 30-60 minutes.  We would probably leave 2 days before (after our antigen test) to spread out the drive so there would still be an extra hotel stop.  And this all assumes good weather (Toronto to New Jersey), which you can't really assume in Dec.

One pro though with driving is if one of us tests positive on the ship, then we could drive home and quarantine (not sure the logistics of washroom breaks).  With flying, we would be stuck in a hotel in New Jersey.  (If we fly, DH and I are going to bring our laptop in case this happens so we can work...haven't decided yet about kids laptops for school).

For those that have the choice, are you driving or flying?  And how long is the drive?

Do you feel that flying is safe?

People have been flying in the US throughout the pandemic.  There is no evidence of elevated covid risk.  Airplanes are highly efficient in air circulation.  

Thank you for the replies.  We have a refundable flight booked so have the flexibility of either....plus land borders opened.  I know there are no guarantees, but good to know that others feel that flying is safe.  Our booked flight is early so airport shouldn't be "too" crowded (mind you it's near xmas time).  Good to hear about the circulation, and so true about having the drive back post cruise. 

We did the drive from Toronto to Baltimore to get on the Enchantment when it sailed out of Baltimore. That was an eight hour drive and not bad going down. Coming back seemed to take forever. It was just two of us...more people would take longer. Would probably not do it again.

53 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

We always drive (NC to FL) in two days. The biggest benefit we see is the luggage situation. We do not fly that much so we don't have an airline credit card, so we would have to pay extra for the suitcases both ways. Plus the weight limitation. 😎

I'm in NJ with a cruise leaving from Galveston.  We are probably driving even though it's a 2 days trip.  The airlines lately have been having issues and I just don't want to take a chance that flights are down for a canceled of days like some of the airlines have had happened.  I'm still on the fence though.

Just curious as to why you think everyone at the airport would have a negative test and be vaccinated?  I’ve been flying every couple months since late last year and have never been asked for test results or my vaccination card.  Flying requires wearing a mask and is not restricted in any other way that I’ve seen.

3 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Just curious as to why you think everyone at the airport would have a negative test and be vaccinated?  I’ve been flying every couple months since late last year and have never been asked for test results or my vaccination card.  Flying requires wearing a mask and is not restricted in any other way that I’ve seen.

They would be flying from Canada and would require a negative test to enter the US.  

6 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought:

• To fly out of Canada (we're in Toronto), you need to be vaccinated
  • To fly to the US, you need a negative covid test

3 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought:

• To fly out of Canada (we're in Toronto), you need to be vaccinated
  • To fly to the US, you need a negative covid test

You are correct, but you should be aware that the US does not require either to travel.  Just make sure you keep good social distance once you are in the US.  Covid rates are pretty low right now (could change by December) and are still primarily spread amongst non vaccinated people.

My suggestion would be if flying leave a day early, we had to fly (not for a cruise...bummer) and our plane was delayed for over 2 days during the latest AA melt down with flights.  However, it is getting to be the colder months and you may hit wintery conditions and that could make your car driving a "trip and a half". You would also have to pay for parking during the cruise and that could be $$.

My overall pick getting closer to the holidays is to drive, 10 hours is not that bad

28 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Just curious as to why you think everyone at the airport would have a negative test and be vaccinated?

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/10/mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-requirements-for-federally-regulated-transportation-employees-and-travellers.html

Any planes, trains, ships leaving from Canada need to be fully vaxxed.

32 minutes ago, not easy being green said:

My suggestion would be if flying leave a day early, we had to fly (not for a cruise...bummer) and our plane was delayed for over 2 days during the latest AA melt down with flights.  However, it is getting to be the colder months and you may hit wintery conditions and that could make your car driving a "trip and a half". You would also have to pay for parking during the cruise and that could be $$.

My overall pick getting closer to the holidays is to drive, 10 hours is not that bad

Yes exactly. Our flight is booked early in the morning, the day before.  And if we drive, we would need to watch the weather and would leave at least 2 days before.  Kids are off school, I booked off work that whole week too...and DH has the few days before our cruise booked off too.

From what I heard, parking is $25/day, but was suppose to be raised to $30.  Our flight cost isn't too bad (but paid extra for refundable).

3 hours ago, steverk said:

I feel flying is safe, but I hate every minute of it.

Personally, I would drive, but safety wouldn't be my reason.

What Steve said.

We are driving from TN to Miami in less than a month, adding 1 hour to our 12 hour drive to stop off in Savannah overnight for some great food. 🙂

Right now, we just don’t want the hassle of having to wear a mask for hours on end just to fly.  

It sounds like the car trip may be too much for you, though. Suggest you choose what is best for you. 

Before covid, despite how much I hate flying, we would fly. We drove twice and it was not that enjoyable.

But after dealing with airlines refusing the refunds and constant changes to reservations, I don't trust them. I think it would be much more stressful to deal with either AC or WJ at this point.

For this Dec trip, we are driving. But taking a flight from Buffalo on JetBlue is an option.

So, it's not so much the safety or regulations to fly, it's the specific airlines I don't trust.

I would fly to the grocery store if I could, I don’t like driving for vacation, I have what I call the 5 hr rule, if it’s over 5 hours I’m on an airplane, the day before cruise is over, you start thinking, ghz I have a long drive home, no thanks, I work at the Cincinnati airport ( which is actually in Northern Ky), I worked every day of the pandemic, flying is totally safe, as soon as the plane unloads, a crew is cleaning and spraying, plus still a mask mandate. 

5 hours ago, Pooch said:

To fly even domestically in Canada you have to be vaccinated.   

Appreciate the responses.  Good thing is we have until the day before to decide (in which case we would have already left if driving).  Most likely will fly....the main risk is that if we test positive then we are stuck in the US (but will be taking things pretty low key on the ship and only getting off at the private island)

3 hours ago, Canadian-Cruiser said:

And to avoid positives false or not make sure to mask and avoid malls and crowds the week prior to the test and trip as to not have any unintended exposures and therefore having to cancel the trip. 

Yes, aside from school, we will pretty much stick to home the 2 weeks prior to the trip....halt on seeing friends and extra curricular programs.  Luckily, DH and I still work from home due to our office not opening up yet since covid. 

11 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

One pro though with driving is if one of us tests positive on the ship, then we could drive home and quarantine (not sure the logistics of washroom breaks).  With flying, we would be stuck in a hotel in New Jersey. 

If you test positive on the ship, Royals Covid assistance will be available to get you home.  In which case my vote is to fly so you are not dealing with vehicle logistics should this happen.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

4 minutes ago, Jax said:

If you test positive on the ship, Royals Covid assistance will be available to get you home.  In which case my vote is to fly so you are not dealing with vehicle logistics should this happen.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Yes thanks.  I've seen that....but they leave it open if they actually get you home, or if they cover quarantine costs (which is great in itself as no insurance seems to do so).  We're in Canada so not sure if that impacts what they do.

21 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Yes thanks.  I've seen that....but they leave it open if they actually get you home, or if they cover quarantine costs (which is great in itself as no insurance seems to do so).  We're in Canada so not sure if that impacts what they do.

I had similar concerns and inquired with the executive office about this and was assured all elements of this policy extends to Canadians. So I am going to put my faith in this policy and hope for the best. Lol 

23 minutes ago, Jax said:

And as someone who was the benefactor of this RC-assisted flight home, it's one hell of a service they're offering.

I always prefer to drive. We're 5 hours to NJ where our next three cruises are. Then we have Ft Lauderdale, we currently have flights, but I've driven it twice before. It will depend on whether we decide to spend extra time in FL. I've driven to FL every year for vacation for the last 30 years. Used to be a two day drive, now that I'm retired and have the time I take three. Seattle in June, will definitely have to fly that one. An earlier comment about luggage is one reason having a mini-van to fill up means the DW can bring just about anything.

Stopping every 30-60 minutes because of back issues (my wife has them and empathizes), is a non-starter; I'd fly, if possible.  That said, we drive to Florida from NC, some 11-13 hours depending on whether it's Tampa or Port Canaveral.  One reason is lousy airline connections.  If we could easily fly, we'd do that.    For us, "flying" is a 5-7 hour proposition because of connections in Charlotte or Atlanta.  We miss the direct flights we had from Baltimore to Florida.

50 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Stopping every 30-60 minutes because of back issues (my wife has them and empathizes), is a non-starter; I'd fly, if possible.  That said, we drive to Florida from NC, some 11-13 hours depending on whether it's Tampa or Port Canaveral.  One reason is lousy airline connections.  If we could easily fly, we'd do that.    For us, "flying" is a 5-7 hour proposition because of connections in Charlotte or Atlanta.  We miss the direct flights we had from Baltimore to Florida.

That's rough when you don't have many options for direct.  Fortunately, we are able to fly direct....would be nervous if we had to do the connecting thing never knowing how much time to leave between flights.