New Pfizer COVID-19 PILL

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-business-health-medication-eeea3c6a5f6428479e35bc1bcd7aec52

Saw this news today. 90% reduction is a game changer! Every breakthrough is one step closer to getting back to normal!

I like this section:

Study participants were unvaccinated, with mild-to-moderate COVID-19, and were considered high risk for hospitalization due to health problems like obesity, diabetes or heart disease. 

I feel that if this gets FDA approval and gets widespread availability and use soon which ultimately leads to significant reduction in hospitalizations and deaths, COVID no longer becomes a crisis. Hopefully, then masking and testing requirements would become less relevant. Heck, the flu could prove to be more deadly than COVID once these pills become available. 

Am I being to hopeful thinking that this should have an impact on the timeline of reducing mandates in the cruise industry? Or is this going to have a similar outcome as the vaccines where enough of the population won't trust the medicine to make enough of an impact on hospitalizations and deaths?

1 hour ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Am I being to hopeful thinking that this should have an impact on the timeline of reducing mandates in the cruise industry? Or is this going to have a similar outcome as the vaccines where enough of the population won't trust the medicine to make enough of an impact on hospitalizations and deaths?

No one knows timescale involved all we can do is hope its sooner rather than later, until such time as statements are released everything else is rumour and hearsay and not worth worrying about 

and yes there will be those who opose the pill believing that it will contain some drug that takes over your mind and makes you do crazy things such as book a Disney Cruise! 

59 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Promising, but this was a small study.

These are preliminary results from the Phase 2/3 clinical trial of the drug. I wouldn't necessarily categorize it as a small study. Also, the fact that they are stopping further clinical trial research based on independent expert recomendation due to the overwhelming positive results, I think it's safe to say that this antiviral has shown enough benefit to be granted emergency authorization.

59 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It also didn't look at those who are vaccinated, because such a treatment would be used in unvaccinated and vaccinated alike.

True, but it's reasonable to predict that the outcomes for vaccinated people would show even less hospitalization and death rates based on the proven low rates for those who are vaccinated. That's likely why high-risk, unvaccinated patients were selected for the trial. Validate the effectiveness of the drug for those most at risk for severe symptoms. 

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Promising, but this was a small study. It also didn't look at those who are vaccinated, because such a treatment would be used in unvaccinated and vaccinated alike.

There is no reason to include vaccinated in the study, the virus being addressed is genetically an exact clone regardless of vaccination status.  Unvaccinated were the only study participants used to avoid the question "was it the pill or was it the vaccine".

Pfizer plans to apply for EUA this month so they must feel the study was large enough (Merck has a similar drug already approved in several countries), and are planning for distribution before Christmas.

9 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

There is no reason to include vaccinated in the study, the virus being addressed is genetically an exact clone regardless of vaccination status.  Unvaccinated were the only study participants used to avoid the question "was it the pill or was it the vaccine".

Pfizer plans to apply for EUA this month so they must feel the study was large enough (Merck has a similar drug already approved in several countries), and are planning for distribution before Christmas.

Yes, when there is overwhelming success in trials, the FDA will often fast track approval. Years ago, a drug was being studied to help heart patients -- the drug so outperformed placebo in the trials that the FDA halted the trials, on the basis that it was unfair to the patients in the placebo arm, not to get what was obviously an effective drug.

Agreed, game changer. Although I still feel that the protocols in place (Vax requirements, masks, testing) will continue until infection rates on land are at extremely low levels or hospitalization/death rates are near zero (which may prove to be achievable with the widespread use of this pill in conjunction with vaccinations).

I truly feel bad for those people who have legitimate medical reasons for why they can't get the vaccine and can't sail right now.