does specialty dining for just one restaurant ever go on sale?

fa-li

I've been stalking the cruise planner and watching prices fluctuate for the various dining packages.  But if we wanted to just have dinner at one specialty restaurant, does that price ever change?  If not, is it at least less expensive to book ahead of time?

Wasn't planning to do specialty on our cruise in April, but the menu at 150 Central Park has tempted me.  Though I don't see that venue getting a lot of love here.  Anything I should know?  Thanks! 

If you're willing to chance waiting on board, and are flexible, I know that in the past, when they haven't had enough reservations, some of the specialty restaurants will have people roaming to see if passengers want to book, usually at a reduced price, although I don't know if it is just reduced from on-board pricing (which I believe is more than cruise planner) or even lower than that.  We get at least one specialty lunch & dinner from our TA, so we book onboard after deciding when & where to go.

Sales do happen but it seems to be more of a pop up sale when the need arises.   It is nothing you can count on.   On our last cruise on Symphony, (Feb 2020 😞 ) there was such a long line at the dining room for My Time (7:30 pm) they offered anyone in line a table at Chops for 1/2 price for each person in the party.  We took it and they ushered us up to Chops and seated us right away even though there were other parties waiting for a table. 

In addition to what has been said, if all you are interested in is steak, the MDR usually has a deal where you can get an upgraded steak entree from CHOPS for a discounted price.  However, this isn't the same thing as going to the restaurant, so it depends on what you are seeking.  No advance CP purchase needed -- order your steak in the MDR.

We were offered 50% discount at Wonderland on formal/lobster night on Odyssey.  

We thought the experience was fun but waiter was too formal.

The food was interesting which we like as we've been to several 3* Michelin tasting menu restaurants but found the quality of the flavors a bit dull compared to what we were used to.  At the 50% discount it was worth trying...without question but at full price $68 with gratuity it wasn't remotely worth the money.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:34 PM, ChessE4 said:

In addition to what has been said, if all you are interested in is steak, the MDR usually has a deal where you can get an upgraded steak entree from CHOPS for a discounted price.  However, this isn't the same thing as going to the restaurant, so it depends on what you are seeking.  No advance CP purchase needed -- order your steak in the MDR.

We will be at CK most nights, so will get our filet on night one and be happy.  Was just intrigued by some of the offerings in 150 CP