Sled Dog Experience: Juneau or Skagway?

SeattleAl

Hi folks, first cruise in 16 years coming up way in August 2022, but trying to make some excursion decisions now in case their is a good Black Friday sale.

We're doing Alaska on the Ovation and have stops at Skagway and Juneau. It's me, my wife, two adult daughters, a son in law, and an 18 month old. We're big dog fans, so the sled dog experiences sound great for us. There seem to be two different experiences in each of these towns. Have any of you been of one of these tours and can you give any feedback? If I had a choice, I'd rather do Juneau, since that leaves Skagway open for the train ride, but I think the family would like the dogs better. If one is better than the others, that's what we'll go with.

Thanks in advance!!!

Al

I have not done the official RC excursion.  When we were in Skagway, we hired a private guide for the day and she took us to the sled dog place that Royal excursions visit, first thing in the morning before the groups got there.  Our guide was friend with the owner, and we basically just popped in for twenty minutes before their real day started.  The dogs are adorable, and we were able to hold and play with puppies as well as see the adult dogs in their various pens and kennels. It's definitely worth seeing.

Family members did the official excursion later in the day, and got to ride on a "sled" on a track, pulled by some of the dogs.  They got demonstrations on some of the training, and basically a more organized visit/tour.  Other people in our party did pretty much the same tour in Juneau with a different kennel.  All had a great time.

I realize this doesn't really help you decide, but I think you can't go wrong in either location, and it's just a question of what is "can't miss" for you.  Also, maybe depends on how long you are in port.  Can you both whale watch and dog sled in Juneau?  Or both train and dogs in Skagway?  

You will have a great experience whatever you decide 

The wife and I did the excursion through Royal out of Juneau, and it was awesome. Unsure if to the same offering, but ours was a helivoptor flight to a glacier in the mountains where the dogs who run the Iditarod race camp for the summer. A bus takes you to and from the helicopter base whuch is just outside of town. They set you up with special boots for the ice and off you go. Great scenic ride overseeing the town and the mountains. The noise from the dogs was crazy. It was a huge camp set up. you get to meet some of the dogs and pat them. You ride on the sled, taking turns to stand and drive the sled, which is amazing to see how the dogs work together and their strength and stamina. You are so focused on the beautiful dogs that you forget you are on a glacier surrounded by mountains, snow and ice. Breathtaking views. It was expensive but certainly quite memorable and we believe worth the expense. I swear my wife was trying to convince the helicopter pilot to leave me there so she could take a dog home with her, LOL. Also we dd the whale watching tour in the afternoon so full on day.

In Skagway we did the White Pass train and thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually we did the train in the AM and a small van via road to see the area from both perspectives. 

I am sure whatever you choose, it will be fantastic, everything in Alaska is mind-blowing.    

On 11/4/2021 at 6:17 PM, SeattleAl said:

Hi folks, first cruise in 16 years coming up way in August 2022, but trying to make some excursion decisions now in case their is a good Black Friday sale.

We're doing Alaska on the Ovation and have stops at Skagway and Juneau. It's me, my wife, two adult daughters, a son in law, and an 18 month old. We're big dog fans, so the sled dog experiences sound great for us. There seem to be two different experiences in each of these towns. Have any of you been of one of these tours and can you give any feedback? If I had a choice, I'd rather do Juneau, since that leaves Skagway open for the train ride, but I think the family would like the dogs better. If one is better than the others, that's what we'll go with.

Thanks in advance!!!

Al

My teenage daughter loved the dog sled experience.  They had puppies too to play with also.

• 4 weeks later...