Checked bags VS. Carry on bags

Lizzy

Hello, I am trying to figure out if which we should choose for a 3 night cruise. I've only been on one cruise, and we carried on since it was a 4 night cruise. We are not heavy packers, but wondering the pros and cons of each option. Thank you for any advice. 🙂 

I would still probably drop off my bag at the terminal, and take a small bag of large purse with the things you’ll need for the afternoon.  
Otherwise, you’ll have to carry you stuff around with you until your room opens. 
If your check-in time is around 2 pm or later, it might make more sense to carry on, since your room should be ready by then. 

I"m an overpacker and I always choose a suitcase 1 size larger than I probably really need. I'd rather have more room than I think I need than find out I shaved off too many things and am "stuck" on board wishing I had them.

Pros: - more space for: full size bodywash/shampoo for sharing, souvenirs, bulkier clothes 'just in case', or more shoe varities.

Cons: - if you're flying (which I assume for a 3-night you're probably local to a port) you have to check it. if you don't have an airline card or aren't flying southwest this means extra cost (and extra waiting time if you're the type that likes to beeline out of the terminal).

Really..I'm always gonna vote for the bigger one. I just like to have the security of the potential extra space

Thank you, this helps! I work for an airline, so that means free bags. yay. But this one, is in LA, so we are driving to it.  Check in time is at 1130. So,  I think I am going to have my husband and I share one large checked bag, and each take a backpack for carry on. 

Is it easy to check a bag? Just print out bag tag, and give it to the porter when we get there? 

3 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

Is it easy to check a bag? Just print out bag tag, and give it to the porter when we get there? 

Yes and you can ask the porters at the pier to create one on the spot if you want to.  

I have the $6 amazon luggage tag holders that I use over and over again but that isn't a requirement.  

Unfortunately I go with carry-on your bags onto ship.  I have had more issues with luggage on ships than airports.   Many broken wheels on larger bags.  Twice the bags were left in a cart in the rain.  One of those times my clothes were almost all wet.  And dark colors faded onto light colors.  The cruise ship did offer to clean them all, but some stains did not come out.   And embellishments on a top were damaged in the cleaning.  It can be a hassle to carry your luggage on, but I prefer to have the control.