I can't believe this just happened...

We were just about to hit the "10 days until we leave" mark for our cruise.  Darling wife and I started feeling a cold coming on.  Fall allergies right?  Unfortunately no.  We got a call from our sister-in-law that 6 members of our extended family that were all at our nephew's wedding that last weekend tested positive for Covid-19.  Hind sight now says that we should have protected ourselves better, but we were host couple for the reception which means interacting with a lot of people.  My darling wife is getting hit a lot worse then me and still has a sore throat and coughing.  Official tests show both of us positive also, so no way we are going to manage a negative test 2 days before sail.  So now working with TA to get our cruise cancelled again...ugh.  And yes this is a breakthrough case as we were vaccinated back in March/April.  Going to have to step away from blogs and Youtubers that we religiously monitored for last 2 months...just too painful.  So those on the Freedom this coming Monday have an extra drink for the two of us.  

2 hours ago, ZuggsandMimi said:

We were just about to hit the "10 days until we leave" mark for our cruise.  Darling wife and I started feeling a cold coming on.  Fall allergies right?  Unfortunately no.  We got a call from our sister-in-law that 6 members of our extended family that were all at our nephew's wedding that last weekend tested positive for Covid-19.  Hind sight now says that we should have protected ourselves better, but we were host couple for the reception which means interacting with a lot of people.  My darling wife is getting hit a lot worse then me and still has a sore throat and coughing.  Official tests show both of us positive also, so no way we are going to manage a negative test 2 days before sail.  So now working with TA to get our cruise cancelled again...ugh.  And yes this is a breakthrough case as we were vaccinated back in March/April.  Going to have to step away from blogs and Youtubers that we religiously monitored for last 2 months...just too painful.  So those on the Freedom this coming Monday have an extra drink for the two of us.  

About the same thing happened to us last month, October.  The day before we were set to leave on flight next morning, we took our Covid tests online, at home.  We are both vaccinated and had no symptoms.  My husband came up positive.  We were in shock.   Had to cancel the flight less that 12 hours before, plus the cruise, hotels, etc. You never know I guess.   Out next cruise is beginning for December for 2 weeks on Oasis.  We are not getting together with anyone for Thanksgiving.  And very little contact with people 2 weeks prior.   I have had about 10 cancelled cruises, and not going to chance this next one.

5 hours ago, ZuggsandMimi said:

I am so sorry, you must be mega frustrated. 🙇🏼‍♀️

We will test Thursday am for the first of a side 2 side. I won’t lie, I am so nervous! We have had a booster dose weeks and have masked when we were around people, but this virus is so contagious that it is still a fear. We haven’t had a vacation in two years, and even then it was scheduled a week and a half after my mother died, so we need this badly. 

I Hope that you all get to reschedule very soon 😊

4 hours ago, ZuggsandMimi said:

Prayers for both of you, I hope you both get over this really quickly.  

We are 19 days out and this is what I will be worrying about for the next few weeks.  We are trying to be extra careful, but we all are around others at work/school - taking the test will be highly stressful.

I am so sorry this happened.  You've probably already put the cancelations in motion, but just in case you have not...it may be worth retesting at the 4 or 5 day out mark.  With breakthrough cases, it is my understanding that the vaccine can enable you to clear the virus relatively quickly.  Either way, best wishes for a speedy recovery.