Looking for a travel insurance recomendation.

AHollyS

I do annual policies from Allianz.  Covers all trips, not just cruises and it's a one time per year fee.

Pricing can vary by state since insurance is controlled at the state level in the US.

Also you need to buy coverage for what's important to you.  Like car, house, health, dental and life insurance there is no one coverage that fits everyone.

We also do an Allianz annual policy.

Our policy (July 21 - July 2022) cost $700 total - $623 for coverage and $77 for "assistance" whatever that is.  This policy covers all travel (not just cruising) and has a COVID rider.  Coverage $$ are below:

image.png.59fe1b2f0888823478c7b123d41a5dc0.png

The bad news is.....we have yet to take a single trip !  So it may have been a wasted expense, but we make a point of keeping the travel policies current (they never lapse) and hopefully we will be traveling again before it has to be renewed for 2022-2023 !!

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The bad news is.....we have yet to take a single trip !  So it may have been a wasted expense, but we make a point of keeping the travel policies current (they never lapse) and hopefully we will be traveling again before it has to be renewed for 2022-2023 !!

The good news is you still have a ton to time left to get your money's worth!

Ours was about $90pp for our last cruise with Allianz' TripAssist Choice Plan. We typically only put the value of the non-refundable items (mostly just cruise fare & flights). We book refundable pre-cruise hotels and shore excursions/ cruise planner items are generally cancel-able so there isn't much else that we might need to be reimbursed for.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Our policy (July 21 - July 2022) cost $700 total - $623 for coverage and $77 for "assistance" whatever that is.  This policy covers all travel (not just cruising) and has a COVID rider.  Coverage $$ are below:

Raye, is that $700 total for both of you then?

We have used Allianz and Royal's contractor.  The costs vary with age, so we pay more now as seniors.  Regular 7 night cruises without airfare run $300 to $400 for us as a couple, a little less for Royal.  Royal's medical payments were increased this summer to become more competitive, but Allianz has had better coverage.  For a family overseas cruise with Allianz we once paid over $700 due to the amount of coverage (total cost insured with air and hotel).  We have used other coverages for our son for youth trips that were much cheaper but only medical.

So as others have noted, it depends what sort of coverage you seek.  Our worst experiences have been with lost or delayed luggage.  Thankfully, we've never needed the medical or evacuation coverages.

We haven't taken enough trips per year to use the annual premium option, but we want to do that beginning in 2023.

If you are over 70 (age restriction may vary) be very careful with selecting annual policies. For example, you're emergency evacuation coverage may be significantly less than what you might see on an auto-internet quote. That's just a start. The variables in coverage for cruiser over 70 are considerable. Lets say you have $100K emergency medical coverage on the policy disclosure. The fine print may state that benefit amount is for the entire period of the policy. If you have an event on your first cruise that costs $100K (not unusual for a serious medical condition that you need care for), you just used your entire benefit for the annual period. You're naked in that coverage for the remaining cruise in that year you might take

Policies for over 70 cruisers are still a good value. Just make sure you speak with a representative or agent of the company you are considering purchasing an annual policy from and make sure you understand the usually considerable coverage limitations that will be placed on such policies. Also understand what primary and secondary payee means in the policy you are looking at. This can get complicated when you make a claim.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Always enjoy your posts.(birds of a feather lol)

Is that cost per person or family/household?

4 minutes ago, JSB_Z51 said:

Is that cost per person or family/household?

It is the total cost for the 2 of us.  That is our family/household...so I don't know how the price is affected with additional family members.

Interestingly enough, the price for our Allianz annual policy has been the same for the past several years....so it doesn't seem as though COVID affected the price at all.  It is my belief (based on nothing) that b/c we have never let our annual policy "lapse" that we might have been given some kind of "preference" pricing.  That could be entirely false !  I really don't know.

Our original annual travel policy was with USAA but a number of years ago they quit offering the comprehensive travel insurance so we switched to Allianz.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It is the total cost for the 2 of us.  That is our family/household...so I don't know how the price is affected with additional family members.

Interestingly enough, the price for our Allianz annual policy has been the same for the past several years....so it doesn't seem as though COVID affected the price at all.  It is my belief (based on nothing) that b/c we have never let our annual policy "lapse" that we might have been given some kind of "preference" pricing.  That could be entirely false !  I really don't know.

Our original annual travel policy was with USAA but a number of years ago they quit offering the comprehensive travel insurance so we switched to Allianz.

Appreciate that.  Seems reasonable to me agaist the backdrop that the policies I have quoted in the past were about 150 to 175 a person.  So 3 trips a year "pays" for itself.

I got a quote for the annual Allianz primer plan and it was $715 for the whole family (two adults and 4 kids).  I thought it was a great deal because we have 3 cruises booked this year and will probably plan other trips as well.  I also priced out Costco's travel insurance for the six of us for just our upcoming November cruise and it was $150 for all. Still deciding which one to go with. I guess kids don't add that much to the price. 

2 hours ago, Coltdoggs said:

Do you guys buying your own insurance through an outside source find it better than what RC offers? in terms of price and coverage?

It depends on your coverage and price. 

There isn't a right or wrong answer. Travel insurance is like car insurance. There's not just one plan, but various offerings at prices and with different coverages.

• 4 weeks later...