TA’s vs. booking direct and new to cruising

Dott

Hi All,

This is my 1st time cruising and using a travel agent. So when we booked we didn’t get a specific travel agent. It’s we get whoever when we call the 1-800#. So when we initially booked it back in May it was 1 price, and then I just re-prices it via the RCL website and it’s actually lower. 

Does the TA have access to the lower prices?

Do most people only have 1 specific TA that they use directly vs a 1800#?

Does the RCL price guarantees apply when booking through a TA? 

Any other advice when booking via a TA vs myself? 

and are TAs actually responsive? I haven’t gotten a call back and have had to call in myself over the last 4days to actually get anything done on my account. Just wondering. 

thanks in advance!
Dorothy

19 hours ago, Dott said:

Hi All,

This is my 1st time cruising and using a travel agent. So when we booked we didn’t get a specific travel agent. It’s we get whoever when we call the 1-800#. So when we initially booked it back in May it was 1 price, and then I just re-prices it via the RCL website and it’s actually lower. 

Does the TA have access to the lower prices?

Do most people only have 1 specific TA that they use directly vs a 1800#?

Does the RCL price guarantees apply when booking through a TA? 

Any other advice when booking via a TA vs myself? 

and are TAs actually responsive? I haven’t gotten a call back and have had to call in myself over the last 4days to actually get anything done on my account. Just wondering. 

thanks in advance!
Dorothy

Welcome to the blog Dorothy!

Happy Cruising!

Welcome Dott!  I do my own booking and anytime I find a deal I call Royal and receive the discount.  But that's just me...my family and friends tell me I should have been a travel agent because I am constantly finding new deals and saving money!  However, I am retired and am able to so 'sale checks' whenever I feel like it. 🙂 

Many of the members of this forum use TA's and are very happy with their service.  Perhaps it's just a personal choice??     

Don't get caught up on cruise prices when deciding on a TA. The value of a TA comes after you book.

I would imagine there's quite a spread of people who book on their own vs. people who rotate TAs (especially the ones that give a part of their commission as OBC) vs. people who have a single trusted TA.

And of course there's a wide spread in quality of TAs. Some have their TA license and do it as a side gig, so they aren't always responsive.

3 hours ago, Curtis Kari said:

I have had one of those call the 1-800# agents before and the service was horrible. I tried to get a price reduction once and never got a call back from the message I left. I would definitely go with one particular agent if you go the TA route.

I would use an individual specific TA, mine rarely doesn't respond the same day and when that happens it is normally because I had enough specific instructions, requests in my email that when I here back the next day the action is completed.

As Smoky said a lot of "The value of a TA comes after you book".  To that I will add if your first cruise a good TA can really help with information and coaching you to make a choice that will suit your desires.