Gift Certificate

Jmccaffrey

9 minutes ago, Jmccaffrey said:

Has anyone given a Royal Caribbean Gift Certificate? I am looking to give them to my family for Christmas.

https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

I gave friends of mine gift certificates... then COVID happened.  I haven't asked them yet if they have used them for their December cruise.

Never given them but bought one with some BTC I had and used it for my current cruise. Mine was purchased through the app I use and the prices to redeem was a little odd as I had to pay the deposit then use the certificate by sending an email to Royal Caribbean to have it applied. 

After reading the redemption rules, they will working for my plans. I am currently trying to get a group family Cruise for late 2023. So giving my Family Royal Caribbean Gift Certificate for 2021 Christmas, will work perfectly for my needs. The long lead time works in my favor.

Thanks everyone for your help.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

The redemption rules are awful for those  certificates. I don't recommend them at all.

Agreed! My husband purchased one as a surprise for my upcoming cruise on the Allure 11/8. I kept checking the Cruise Planner after redeeming the certificate and learned I can’t use it til I’m onboard. He had planned on me using it toward DBP or an excursion precruise. I should be able to use my gift whenever I want..

13 hours ago, Matt said:

The redemption rules are awful for those  certificates. I don't recommend them at all.

I would never recommend this, just give them cash at this point with a picture of RC Ship. It’s a huge ordeal to redeem. We are out a $250 gift certificate so far because of the system.

10 hours ago, CruizIan said:

I would never recommend this, just give them cash at this point with a picture of RC Ship. It’s a huge ordeal to redeem. We are out a $250 gift certificate so far because of the system.

Here's a more fun way to do same idea: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/05/24/free-printable-surprise-royal-caribbean-cruise-ticket-template

• 2 months later...

I asked for these for Christmas in hopes I could use them for pre-purchase in the cruise planner. I redeemed them a week ago and have been looking for them to show up in the cruise planner, but I didn't think to look at the terms until today and discovered that they can't be used until on board. Oh well. I guess I'll just get the drink package when I board and pay the difference, or pay as i go. Live and learn I suppose. 

Last time I cruised with family, I asked our TA to put onboard credit on their account (basically I paid into their cruise) and I made a little card for Christmas that said they had it.  This worked well, mainly bc my aunt likes to shop onboard.  I doubt it would have been helpful for prepurchase excursions. 

• 3 months later...

I was gifted with a $1500 gift-certificate from my employer for a Royal Caribbean cruise.  They did not bother to ask if I actually would use it.  From the information I read online, the following is stated:  Gift certificates can be redeemed as a payment towards your cruise vacation or may be used as an onboard credit. Gift certificates must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift certificates cannot be redeemed onboard.

Can anyone recommend the best way to sell a gift certificate that I will never use?  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2022 at 8:18 PM, David L. said:

I was gifted with a $1500 gift-certificate from my employer for a Royal Caribbean cruise.  They did not bother to ask if I actually would use it.  From the information I read online, the following is stated:  Gift certificates can be redeemed as a payment towards your cruise vacation or may be used as an onboard credit. Gift certificates must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift certificates cannot be redeemed onboard.

Can anyone recommend the best way to sell a gift certificate that I will never use?  Thanks.

Well this is a shame because this should be a very straight forward easy process. There really shouldn't be any rules regarding gift certificates. You gave them money and it should be redeemed when you feel like it for any purpose. I love Royal Caribbean but this ridiculous. They should change the way these work. If they didn't have these rules I would buy a 500 dollar one every now and then. Before I knew it I'd have a full cruise paid off before I even booked it. 

I have gotten Royal Caribbean gift certificates (the ones purchased thru Royal Caribbean) as birthday and Christmas gifts. I use them to pay down my cruises before final payment via my travel agent. I have had no problems redeeming them that way.

Now there were Royal Caribbean gift certificates that could be bought thru AARP at a 10% discount a few years ago. I bought quite a bit of them and saved a bit of money. However in order to redeem these gift certificates you have to go thru a crazy ritual which I let my travel agent handle. They have a local office I can visit so I was present when it was done. The first 2 cruises I used them on worked out OK, but this last one I went on had issues which eventually got resolved, but that process was a real pain.

• 1 month later...

Thinking of purchasing one as a gift for my parent, but now this thread has me thinking otherwise.  

Is it not as simple as, using it at check-out towards directly on the RC site or via our travel agent? If you use it for the deposit, then you can't use it for later payments? Ideally, they would apply it in full at check-out, then pay whatever else out of pocket.

Also, any clue what happens to the gift card value if the cruise is cancelled? 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

-Rachael

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2021 at 2:28 PM, Debstr66 said:

Agreed! My husband purchased one as a surprise for my upcoming cruise on the Allure 11/8. I kept checking the Cruise Planner after redeeming the certificate and learned I can’t use it til I’m onboard. He had planned on me using it toward DBP or an excursion precruise. I should be able to use my gift whenever I want..

How long did it take after you redeemed the certificate did it show up in your cruise planner? I received one as a bridal shower gift and redeemed it to use as an onboard credit. 

Hi Kim, It never appeared in the cruise planner. I could only use it as onboard credit once I was onboard. The OBC whittled away as I charged stuff on my seapass (Izumi's, room service, etc.) Near the end of the cruise I downloaded my OBC balance to a slot machine and cashed out with the cashier. 😃

On 10/10/2022 at 5:50 AM, Debstr66 said:

Hi Kim, It never appeared in the cruise planner. I could only use it as onboard credit once I was onboard. The OBC whittled away as I charged stuff on my seapass (Izumi's, room service, etc.) Near the end of the cruise I downloaded my OBC balance to a slot machine and cashed out with the cashier. 😃

Thanks for that information! I was so worried when I redeemed a gift certificate that I got as a bridal shower gift. I'd love to use it to get the strawberries/champagne for our stateroom! 🙂

• 4 months later...

I hope someone can answer this for me, my bestfriend and I are going on royal Caribbean in May. We are going to set up our room with one credit card on her account and one for me on mine. Now I received a few gift cards for the cruise I see you can on their site and add your gift cards. How do you know what one its going on.

10 hours ago, nanner2 said:

I hope someone can answer this for me, my bestfriend and I are going on royal Caribbean in May. We are going to set up our room with one credit card on her account and one for me on mine. Now I received a few gift cards for the cruise I see you can on their site and add your gift cards. How do you know what one its going on.

Welcome to the boards!

Give Royal a call and they can apply the gift cards to your half of the fare. They are used to the split billing thing so you won't have any issues. The gift cards themselves can be a bit tricky to use which I why I recommend calling. Enjoy your cruise!