Positive covid test within 30 days of sailing

M&SDaw

Five of us sailing in 22 days. My youngest tested positive last Wednesday. Going through the normal procedure,  isolating the sick one, everyone else is doing fine. Have the at home test to do before we leave. 

I have heard about a Dr's note, in case the previously infected tests positive. According to what I can find on the RCCL website  the Dr's note only applies to vaccination requirements. If my youngest tests positive it would still exclude us from sailing. 

Anyone experience this type of situation or have any information different than what I have found? 

Testing positive is testing positive. I don't see how a doctor's note would change that, nor would it allow boarding. 

There can be false positive and false negative results. If you suspect a false positive you can retest but if the test is still positive after that you won't get on board. It's a safety issue as some people continue to harbor the virus and still feel ok for a bit after. 

I can attest to false positive, 6 months ago I tested positive and my wife negative before a flight...luckily we had time and I went to get another test at another lab and this time I was negative. Just to be 100% sure I did a 3rd test and I was again negative.

So obviously the first test was wrong....

I know that on Royal ships if your Antigen test is positive they do a second PCR test to confirm. This would be if you were back 2 back as a test is required for the next sailing.

1 hour ago, MuttMutt said:

Testing positive is testing positive. I don't see how a doctor's note would change that, nor would it allow boarding. 

There can be false positive and false negative results. If you suspect a false positive you can retest but if the test is still positive after that you won't get on board. It's a safety issue as some people continue to harbor the virus and still feel ok for a bit after. 

I'm not against rescheduling if anyone tests positive. I fully support the protocols and precautions that are in place. I'm just worried about a false positive for someone that has recently had covid. Wasn't sure if anyone has heard of or dealt with this situation. Hopefully all goes well, the household will all test negative and the cruise that has been pushed back a year will go through.  

3 hours ago, M&SDaw said:

I'm not against rescheduling if anyone tests positive. I fully support the protocols and precautions that are in place. I'm just worried about a false positive for someone that has recently had covid. Wasn't sure if anyone has heard of or dealt with this situation. Hopefully all goes well, the household will all test negative and the cruise that has been pushed back a year will go through.  

I fully understand and actually purchased 6 tests for us. We were heading down to Houston a couple days early and didn't see a reason to pay for a room if we tested positive. We tested before leaving home and at our hotel room.  Plus I actually have 2 tests on board with us even though a test is provided in case there was a false positive at any point along the way. Hopefully this go well for you though,  pushing things back even more is a major PITA...