Costa Maya and Mayahual Red Shirts Golf Carts

stevendom57

I will be in Costa Maya in 2 weeks. I just found out about a golf cart rental place called Mayahual Red Shirts Golf Carts. I have seen good reviews on Facebook but trust the people on RCB more. Has anyone used them? I assume that I can use this to drive to Mahahual and look around. Is there a safe space on the side of the road for the 2 mile drive from the port? Can I drive the cart on the walkway that parallels the beach? Any info is appreciated.

10 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

I assume that I can use this to drive to Mahahual and look around. Is there a safe space on the side of the road for the 2 mile drive from the port? Can I drive the cart on the walkway that parallels the beach? Any info is appreciated.

I have never used them but the roads will be perfectly safe to drive the golf carts on.  Can't answer the question about driving on the walkway. I have never seen any carts on the path, though.

44 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I have never used them but the roads will be perfectly safe to drive the golf carts on.  Can't answer the question about driving on the walkway. I have never seen any carts on the path, though.

I have communicated with Lalo, the owner of Mayahual Red Shirts Golf Carts. He, like you, assured me that the roads are safe. He also let me know that the Malecon is pedestrian only. He has teamed up with a number of businesses in the Mahahual area to allow his carts to be parked there. Heck, many of them will even give cart customers a welcome drink (I doubt it will contain top shelf liquor, but it's free). I have my reservation with him now and will report back after I return.

We jumped on the “bus” at the end of the pier area.  I remember 2 bucks each too.  Then we got to talking to a taxi driver.  He showed us where he parks & took us back to the pier for $10 including tip.  So very easy, not sure why you’d rent a golf cart unless of course there is a mobility issue.

36 minutes ago, Pooch said:

So very easy, not sure why you’d rent a golf cart unless of course there is a mobility issue.

Mostly decided on the cart so that we could stop for photo ops or interesting things on the way to Mahahual. If there's nothing interesting, maybe I will reconsider

• 4 weeks later...

Our first cruise and first stop, we too are also considering this. The village is very small according to my Google map reconnaissance (Street view is nice). I think you can pretty much go anywhere on a golf cart where there are roads. Was thinking to rent a golf cart, see the village and shops and then make our way down to the Krazy Lobster. Grab a bite and snorkel. Again, Google street mapping is a good way to see the village and also there is some good info on TA with pics: ( https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g499450-d13344017-Reviews-Mayahual_Golf_Carts_in_Costa_Maya-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html )

Does anyone know if they have moto taxis there? 

8 hours ago, Todd-Winny said:

Our first cruise and first stop, we too are also considering this. The village is very small according to my Google map reconnaissance (Street view is nice). I think you can pretty much go anywhere on a golf cart where there are roads. Was thinking to rent a golf cart, see the village and shops and then make our way down to the Krazy Lobster. Grab a bite and snorkel. Again, Google street mapping is a good way to see the village and also there is some good info on TA with pics: ( https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g499450-d13344017-Reviews-Mayahual_Golf_Carts_in_Costa_Maya-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html )

Does anyone know if they have moto taxis there? 

I had never been to Costa Maya / Mahahual either. I thought the golf carts would be a great way to get between the port and town. After going once I am glad that I did not rent the cart. There is really not much to see between the port and Mahahual and once you get to Manahual, you cannot drive the cart on the Malecon. You have to park it and walk anyway. While the roads seem to be relatively safe, I would prefer not to drive there.

When I return in Feb 2023, I am going to do what I did a few weeks ago. I will look around the port, take a taxi to Mahahual ($4 per person, each way), look around, return to the port by taxi and spend more time at the port. 

I see no real reason to get the golf cart. YMMV.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:47 AM, Pooch said:

We easily walked the length of the Malecon, had drinks & food on the beach & walked back to the taxi stand.  I can’t imagine why you’d need a golf cart.  Take the cheap bus or a very reasonable taxi.  Walk the strip.

I agree to walk but I could trip and spill my cocktail 😁. My wife wants to drive a cart, so that's what we'll do, and I don't mind supporting locals.  I booked through email. No down payment needed.  They sent me a very informative video about the tourist areas and where to get local food. They really look like they are trying.  Here it is: