Trouble with MEI Travel

I absolutely love working with my MEI agent Beth Dickerson.  Even though she is my agent and controls the reservation(s) I feel we work as a team.  There are times I find a lower price and just send an email and there are times she surprises with an email saying she found a lower price.  She is currently on vacation and I emailed her with a question, received an automated email back with contact info of another agent if needed.  It was not anything earth shattering so was just gonna wait until she returns on Friday and low and behold she replied to the email from vacation.

I have used travel agents in the past and they never work out as they are not prompt.  That is certainly not the case with MEI and Beth.

On 11/1/2021 at 2:01 PM, fa-li said:

Well, gee, I thought all this time, based on the level of service, that Michelle must work ONLY for ME! 🤣   

Just kidding, but add me to the chorus of "wouldn't book a trip without her."  

Surely you're mistaken, as I was under the impression that I was her only client!!  😊

13 hours ago, Beci said:

And thats perfect!  For those who want to be a part of the process.  booking then transferring is the best of both worlds.  We are happy to have your back and advocate for you... while checking for the best deals!  Thanks for your business! 

I also like to pick my cabin online by myself. And then get my travel agent involved. I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t use a travel agent. 

Travel agents cost you nothing extra. 

Travel agents are paid a commission by the cruise line, which comes out of the cruise line’s bottom line, and not charged to you. Support this important service industry. 

In return you get expert advice and extra set of eyes.  I used my travel agent to herd my friends reservations together and then book us as a group.  

Here’s an excellent post by Matt 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/06/15/top-things-you-didnt-know-travel-agents-can-do-your-cruise-vacation

51 minutes ago, 904Duval said:

I also like to pick my cabin online by myself. And then get my travel agent involved. I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t use a travel agent. 

Travel agents are paid a commission by the cruise line, which comes out of the cruise line’s bottom line, and not charged to you. Support this important service industry. 

In return you get expert advice and extra set of eyes.  I used my travel agent to herd my friends reservations together and then book us as a group.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/06/15/top-things-you-didnt-know-travel-agents-can-do-your-cruise-vacation

Just saying “Hi” from 904StJohns 😂

Maybe we need a blog get together with @PG Cruiser

18 hours ago, DanielB said:

I absolutely love working with my MEI agent Beth Dickerson.  Even though she is my agent and controls the reservation(s) I feel we work as a team.  There are times I find a lower price and just send an email and there are times she surprises with an email saying she found a lower price.  She is currently on vacation and I emailed her with a question, received an automated email back with contact info of another agent if needed.  It was not anything earth shattering so was just gonna wait until she returns on Friday and low and behold she replied to the email from vacation.

I have used travel agents in the past and they never work out as they are not prompt.  That is certainly not the case with MEI and Beth.

Couldn't agree more. Beth has been fantastic for us. she puts up with all my crazy. I'm a planner and researched by nature, so it never ends with me, and somehow she always bests my efforts. 

16 hours ago, 904Duval said:

And technically you're paying for a Travel Agent's services anyway, since the price is the same to you and we're paid from Royal Caribbean.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, 904Duval said:

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!  🙂

• 1 month later...

In the past I've used travel miles when booking cruises and that required the use of specific travel agencies.  When Covid hit trying to get credit through these agents was next to impossible, and RCI couldn't help since there was and agency of record.  Personally spent many hours tracking down those credits - - an experience shared by many.

In 2022 we have 4 cruises booked (one B2B transatlantic) and only 1 is using points so I needed an agent.  Based on feedback on this site I went to MEI (Kathy McCullock) to book cruises.  She was very helpful, patient and knowledgeable throughout the process, especially in booking the same cabin on our B2B Wonder OTS transatlantic. 

When not using travel points in the future, she'll get my business.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:58 AM, Pattycruise said:

I left my agent at MEI.  Somewhat similar issue.  We shouldn’t have to beg an agent to take a booking, nor to do price adjustments.

I have just booked my first cruise in 2 plus years and always went through a TA.  I never had one find a price drop.  I would have to notify them to reprice.  I booked direct throughRoyal this time.  And plan to do so moving forward.  I prefer to be able to communicate directly with RC to handle my booking.  In my experience, I'm my best advocate when I need something handled.  

FYI all: You mention that the travel agent gets a commission from the cruise lines bottom line, that may be true but FYI as a Fact: the travel agent receives an approx.  16% commission on what the cruise line charges your for your basic booking invoice thru RCL. This is based on direct information I received a few years ago due to booking confirmations being emailed to me directly from RCL that included this information.

9 minutes ago, dcr50usa said:

FYI all: You mention that the travel agent gets a commission from the cruise lines bottom line, that may be true but FYI as a Fact: the travel agent receives an approx.  16% commission on what the cruise line charges your for your basic booking invoice thru RCL. This is based on direct information I received a few years ago due to booking confirmations being emailed to me directly from RCL that included this information.

Either way, you are still paying the same for the cruise and getting a lot of benefit - especially when things go wrong, as they have this past few years.

4 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Either way, you are still paying the same for the cruise and getting a lot of benefit - especially when things go wrong, as they have this past few years.

That be true, BUT I have had a bad experience with RCL as mention on this blog just recently on a "computer glitch" canceling my reservation not once but TWICE in less than 10 days before sailing, the first cancel was able to be recovered by the TA (not MEI) but the second was the day before sailing of a cabin by the elevator and was not recoverable by the TA agency and RCL as a "benefit" upgraded us to a balcony cabin dead midship and away from our travel companions on another deck. My wife is mobility limited and RCL would not move the passengers they sold our bought and paid for inside cabin to the balcony they put us in, all we wanted was to be by the elevator and the cruise SEVERLY limited my wife's activities being stuck midship.

This is why I am now using MEI and hope the RCL system does not create another computer glitch and if they do, MEI will be able to fix it properly.