Trouble with MEI Travel

We are booked on Quantum of the Seas for June 2022. We booked through an agent at MEI Travel. We had eight other family members who were already booked transfer their bookings to this agent.

Later, I found a lower rate myself on the RC website and contacted the agent to see if we could rebook. She was able to rebook us, and we saved a significant amount of money. I had to ask her to rebook the others that had transferred their reservations to her, and they saved as well, but I honestly don't think she would have rebooked them if I hadn't asked.

I then referred friends (family of four) who wanted to book the cruise to her, and it took her several days to respond to them and several more before she finally got them booked. They almost gave up on her and booked themselves.

Last Saturday, my sister, brother-in-law, and niece decided to join us on the cruise as well. They booked the cruise and emailed our agent immediately after to have their reservation transferred to her as well. They still haven't received a response. 

I called the number listed for the agent early this afternoon and spoke to someone in reception who apologized and said someone would call me back. I haven't heard back yet, but I wanted to ask if anyone has been in this kind of situation and what you did. I'm very worried that if we truly need assistance with something, this agent will be MIA. Does anyone know of an agent at MEI by whom you swear? Maybe we can get our bookings transferred to that agent instead?

I appreciate any advice.

I'm sure Sharla is fantastic, but most of the MEI agents are superstars.

Imagine all they've had to go through over the last 20 months.

Sorry you and/or your family are feeling a little slighted; I've felt the same way with previous MEI TAs,

but my current agent, Beth, has been great.   

9 hours ago, Johnstewarth said:

We are booked on Quantum of the Seas for June 2022. We booked through an agent at MEI Travel. We had eight other family members who were already booked transfer their bookings to this agent.

Later, I found a lower rate myself on the RC website and contacted the agent to see if we could rebook. She was able to rebook us, and we saved a significant amount of money. I had to ask her to rebook the others that had transferred their reservations to her, and they saved as well, but I honestly don't think she would have rebooked them if I hadn't asked.

Were you all listed as a group booking? Or just individual booking for each family as they transferred over to TA? 

Considering the situation and how the MEI agents are basically working for free, I feel like we should be  little bit more understanding. I mean don't get me wrong, to each their own and everyone can feel the way they want. I have had to remind my TA about price drops and that doesn't bother me, if i missed the sale it would have. But maybe this agent is not a right fit, some are more hands on and other's not so much. I suggest asking for another agent, who might better suit your needs.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time, and that shouldn't happen. Sometimes a client will contact me before I will check, and then I try and check it right away. But sometimes it just isn't possible to do it quickly. Sometimes you have to call it in and that takes forever. 

Basically you should be able to communicate with your agent properly, and if that isn't happening you should ask for a new agent assignment. Every client is important, it could be that the agent was dealing with something and couldn't check those other reservations right that minute. 

If you'd like to switch agents email [email protected] and they'll reassign you to someone else. 

15 hours ago, Johnstewarth said:

I then referred friends (family of four) who wanted to book the cruise to her, and it took her several days to respond to them and several more before she finally got them booked. They almost gave up on her and booked themselves.

Last Saturday, my sister, brother-in-law, and niece decided to join us on the cruise as well. They booked the cruise and emailed our agent immediately after to have their reservation transferred to her as well. They still haven't received a response. 

I called the number listed for the agent early this afternoon and spoke to someone in reception who apologized and said someone would call me back. I haven't heard back yet, but I wanted to ask if anyone has been in this kind of situation and what you did. I'm very worried that if we truly need assistance with something, this agent will be MIA. Does anyone know of an agent at MEI by whom you swear? Maybe we can get our bookings transferred to that agent instead?

I appreciate any advice.

Good morning from onboard the Celebrity Apex! 

I am so sorry you have had a disappointing experience with one of our advisors. The situation you detail is certainly not the service standard we are known for and I want to follow up with the advisor to address this issue. May I ask you to email me directly at [email protected] or send me a PM here, and we will follow up with you asap.  We know an experience like this will impact your confidence in that advisor,  so we will be very happy to help facilitate a move to another advisor. 

Please know we work very hard to ensure your trust and confidence in us, and we appreciate you letting us know so we can address it and provide additional training to help make the advisors the best they can be.  

If anyone else reading this thread has any feedback on our services or our advisors-  positive, constructive, or just need help - I invite you to always feel free to email me directly or PM me here or on Facebook. 

9 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I left my agent at MEI.  Somewhat similar issue.  We shouldn’t have to beg an agent to take a booking, nor to do price adjustments.

Hi @Pattycruise,

I am so sorry to read about your experience you noted in this thread.  You are very correct that you should never have to ask, let alone beg an advisor to provide the services they should provide as a norm. 

As a matter of fact regarding price adjustments, we have a proprietary technology that automatically sweeps the cruise lines system and compares to the rate we have for you and if the price is lower, we get a notification so we can proactively adjust. This is a benefit we have added in the last year, so if your advisor didnt provide this, I need to address it with them to improve their services.  If you are willing, would you mind PMing me the advisors name so I can address it? 

Thank you so much for helping us make the company even better! 

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Considering the situation and how the MEI agents are basically working for free, I feel like we should be  little bit more understanding. I mean don't get me wrong, to each their own and everyone can feel the way they want. I have had to remind my TA about price drops and that doesn't bother me, if i missed the sale it would have. But maybe this agent is not a right fit, some are more hands on and other's not so much. I suggest asking for another agent, who might better suit your needs.

Working for free??

55 minutes ago, Beci said:

Hi @Pattycruise,

I am so sorry to read about your experience you noted in this thread.  You are very correct that you should never have to ask, let alone beg an advisor to provide the services they should provide as a norm. 

As a matter of fact regarding price adjustments, we have a proprietary technology that automatically sweeps the cruise lines system and compares to the rate we have for you and if the price is lower, we get a notification so we can proactively adjust. This is a benefit we have added in the last year, so if your advisor didnt provide this, I need to address it with them to improve their services.  If you are willing, would you mind PMing me the advisors name so I can address it? 

Thank you so much for helping us make the company even better! 

Beci,

As a cruiser using a MEI TA I was glad to see your reply to the issue:)  I do have a follow up on the auto price sweep system you mentioned:

Is the sweep being done automatically (on a set schedule or daily) and run based on what our TA's have entered into your system, or is it initiated by the individual MEI-TA we are using?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, dcr50usa said:

Beci,

As a cruiser using a MEI TA I was glad to see your reply to the issue:)  I do have a follow up on the auto price sweep system you mentioned:

Is the sweep being done automatically (on a set schedule or daily) and run based on what our TA's have entered into your system, or is it initiated by the individual MEI-TA we are using?

Thanks

Hi again!  The Royal Caribbean Blog community is very important to us!  I do tend to spend more time on the live streams myself,  and we have several advisors here watching the boards, however please feel free to reach out to me anytime!

As far as the sweeps go, its an automated process that comares the cruise lines rate to the rate entered in our system for your category -  that unfortunately we don't control the timing.  It really does help us ensure we catching as many of the changes as possible, however some offer codes may not be picked up right away.  That results in the client sometimes seeing before the advisor is aware due to after hours timing, weekends, etc.  Our policy is if we receive a reduction notice its applied at the earliest possible timeframe.  Its been a time saver,  but your advisor still works hard behind the scenes to watch all the moving part

Any other questions?  Let me know! 

Hi Everybody,

An update on our situation. I just spoke with David at MEI and he was very helpful. He promised to get us squared away with a different agent, and did confirm that we should be able to expect better service.

Thanks, @Sharlaand @Beci for your posts. I had posted a while back on a different thread about our agent not having notified us of the significant price drops on our cruise. I was kind of rebuffed by a few posters for expressing my disappointment, but I thought I had read elsewhere on the boards about your software that checked somewhat regularly for those price drops. That's why I was disappointed.

Thanks everyone for your great feedback! I look forward to updating again when I hear how things are resolved.

4 minutes ago, Johnstewarth said:

Hi Everybody,

An update on our situation. I just spoke with David at MEI and he was very helpful. He promised to get us squared away with a different agent, and did confirm that we should be able to expect better service.

Thanks, @Sharlaand @Beci for your posts. I had posted a while back on a different thread about our agent not having notified us of the significant price drops on our cruise. I was kind of rebuffed by a few posters for expressing my disappointment, but I thought I had read elsewhere on the boards about your software that checked somewhat regularly for those price drops. That's why I was disappointed.

Thanks everyone for your great feedback! I look forward to updating again when I hear how things are resolved.

Thanks John.  I am so glad you spoke with David and we will get you with the right advisor that will meet your needs and exceed your expectations.  I will follow up with the agent and ensure they receive refreshed training on our rate notifications in case there is some confusion. 

Please always feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions or need help. We want to earn your confidence! 

1 hour ago, Beci said:

Hi again!  The Royal Caribbean Blog community is very important to us!  I do tend to spend more time on the live streams myself,  and we have several advisors here watching the boards, however please feel free to reach out to me anytime!

As far as the sweeps go, its an automated process that comares the cruise lines rate to the rate entered in our system for your category -  that unfortunately we don't control the timing.  It really does help us ensure we catching as many of the changes as possible, however some offer codes may not be picked up right away.  That results in the client sometimes seeing before the advisor is aware due to after hours timing, weekends, etc.  Our policy is if we receive a reduction notice its applied at the earliest possible timeframe.  Its been a time saver,  but your advisor still works hard behind the scenes to watch all the moving part

Any other questions?  Let me know! 

While I appreciate your time to answer my question, as a cruiser it did not completely answer my question. As a business owner I use software/programs to benefit my employees and clients too.  I have been involved with them since the early 80's and whether the program is off the shelve or modified to suit my business needs, I have to know what the stated final capabilities are going to be before I invest in a new system along with its advantages to what I currently use. In this case, I believe one of the factors would be how soon your system would run after Cruise line sales are posted and TA's notified to modify the booking to the reduced rate.

Pre-pandemic there were many 3-5 day sales only and sometimes they have the best price when all is said and done for that individual cruise. TA's are entitled to their personal time off just like the rest of us are, but when the sale is advantageous to the cruiser (client) and needs to be modified quickly due to the sale time limits the TA needs to know quickly. In the past I have had trouble getting in contact with my TA (not MEI) or their agency to have the booking modified before the sale price disappears and sometimes lost a substantial fare reduction for my cruises. 

The comments on this blog  a few years ago about MEI has given me new hope (as I had been doing all the leg work for several years) and currently have 8 booked thru MEI.  Since the pandemic began my MEI-TA and myself have managed to reduce my original bookings by almost 15%:) Unfortunately some of the sale reductions I found has caused me to interrupt my TA's well earned time off and has been greatly appreciated on our part but I would like to avoid doing this.

Having an understanding of the timing of your program and its timely notification to my TA gives me the timing I need on when to check the sales so I can freely contact my TA during their regular working hours.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes, one of the wonderful agents told us they don't get paid until after a sailing they hold commences. If you don't sail, cancel, get postponed etc...they are working for free. They don't seem to be like other TAs who take a payment or fee up front.

That isn't "working for free", that is "commission sales" and hundreds of thousands of Americans operate the exact same way.

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

That isn't "working for free", that is "commission sales" and hundreds of thousands of Americans operate the exact same way.

All travel agents have been basically working for free since March of 2020. All the handling of cancellations, rescheduling, refunds, and FCC’s was done for free. True, they do get paid when someone eventually travels but if that trip was rescheduled 3 times that means they did the work twice for free.

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

+1 for Michelle

Michelle Cunningham, CTC
Certified Travel Consultant

[email protected]

Off:         571-479-4775  

Mobile:  703-881-2727

Office Hours: Mon - Fri 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (EST)

Saturdays by appointment

Hugs and Kisses to you

4 hours ago, dcr50usa said:

While I appreciate your time to answer my question, as a cruiser it did not completely answer my question. As a business owner I use software/programs to benefit my employees and clients too.  I have been involved with them since the early 80's and whether the program is off the shelve or modified to suit my business needs, I have to know what the stated final capabilities are going to be before I invest in a new system along with its advantages to what I currently use. In this case, I believe one of the factors would be how soon your system would run after Cruise line sales are posted and TA's notified to modify the booking to the reduced rate.

Pre-pandemic there were many 3-5 day sales only and sometimes they have the best price when all is said and done for that individual cruise. TA's are entitled to their personal time off just like the rest of us are, but when the sale is advantageous to the cruiser (client) and needs to be modified quickly due to the sale time limits the TA needs to know quickly. In the past I have had trouble getting in contact with my TA (not MEI) or their agency to have the booking modified before the sale price disappears and sometimes lost a substantial fare reduction for my cruises. 

The comments on this blog  a few years ago about MEI has given me new hope (as I had been doing all the leg work for several years) and currently have 8 booked thru MEI.  Since the pandemic began my MEI-TA and myself have managed to reduce my original bookings by almost 15%:) Unfortunately some of the sale reductions I found has caused me to interrupt my TA's well earned time off and has been greatly appreciated on our part but I would like to avoid doing this.

Having an understanding of the timing of your program and its timely notification to my TA gives me the timing I need on when to check the sales so I can freely contact my TA during their regular working hours.

Thanks

Thank you for this question - the system we use is great at tracking fares, but LOTS of things factor into the tracker we use too. did you get booked into one of our group rates, do you have a current OBC that will drop if we adjust the fare, are you looking at non-refundable rates online, but you book refundable deposit rates, is the system working correctly to adjust??? (issue lately) and so forth.    I work in tandem with my clients and if they see rate drops, I look at them that day they email - sometimes we have to figure it out together and yes, sometimes the system does flag me of a drop, but the system does not grab things like you booked refundable vs non-refundable that is a big one>   

Clients are never "bugging me" to ask about prices, but it can take me all day to look into if, cause I may be on the phone trying to get a refund due that is taking 5 months !

Our team values every client - this system flags when a sale happens mostly - so if Royal announces a new sale it does sweep but it does not do it all in one day it does it over the course of the sale.

Thank you for the support - and mostly for supporting MATT and this blog - Cheers

5 hours ago, Okgladgal said:

My TA from MEI is also @michelle. I'll never book a cruise without her again ❤❤❤

I sometimes book on-line myself if I see a deal/price I like and especially if the Cabin I want is sitting there (I can be very particular about Cabin location; no connecting cabins; cabin above and below).  I then send the information off to Michelle and have her transfer it. 

I do like to do my own planning and did everything myself for a while, but I can say that since I started using Michelle it is the way I will go from now on.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, Sharla said:

You're correct, but when travel essentially shuts down...

I worked in real estate for many years.  You spend hours and hours working with buyers or sellers, and have upfront expenses that can cost in the hundreds.  All to end, maybe months later, with not any money earn when a sale falls thru or they take a house off the market.  No commissions, nor any monies paid back for advertising, gas in your car, or anything.   It is just the nature of many occupations.

10 hours ago, Linda R said:

I worked in real estate for many years.  You spend hours and hours working with buyers or sellers, and have upfront expenses that can cost in the hundreds.  All to end, maybe months later, with not any money earn when a sale falls thru or they take a house off the market.  No commissions, nor any monies paid back for advertising, gas in your car, or anything.   It is just the nature of many occupations.

Yep.

15 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

I sometimes book on-line myself if I see a deal/price I like and especially if the Cabin I want is sitting there (I can be very particular about Cabin location; no connecting cabins; cabin above and below).  I then send the information off to Michelle and have her transfer it. 

I do like to do my own planning and did everything myself for a while, but I can say that since I started using Michelle it is the way I will go from now on.

Yes! Absolutely the same for me.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:59 PM, CruiseGus said:

And thats perfect!  For those who want to be a part of the process.  booking then transferring is the best of both worlds.  We are happy to have your back and advocate for you... while checking for the best deals!  Thanks for your business! 

On 10/30/2021 at 10:39 AM, dcr50usa said:

Thanks

Hi! 

The system enhances our efforts to price protect our clients bookings by sweeping for new prices usually once per day.  However Michelles reply was accurate that most MEI team members work in tandem with clients, and its NEVER a bother if you spot an offer before the system does.  This is part of the services we provide and we are so proud to save you money!!!