FDA approves Pfizer’s vaccine for ages 5 to 11. Will Royal makes changes?

1 hour ago, XtremeGK said:

Also important, and oft-"overlooked," point: COVID-19 causes myocarditis. I didn't dig to find the studies, but there are studies out there that show the risk of myocarditis from COVID-19 is higher than the risk of myocarditis from the vaccine.

Some additional source info: Study: Myocarditis risk 37 times higher for children with COVID-19 than uninfected peers | American Academy of Pediatrics (aappublications.org)

That study says they don't know if the myocarditis cases in the <16 group were from covid or from MIS and that aspect requires further study.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm?s_cid=mm7035e5_e&ACSTrackingID=USCDC_921-DM64772&ACSTrackingLabel=MMWR Early Release - Vol. 70%2C August 31%2C 2021&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM64772

Also the 0-16 group is such a wide disparity, especially in this specific discussion of 5-11 yrs old.  Covid has affected (meaning, serious complications and death) the under 1yr  group more than any other pediatric age group

On 10/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, Oliver said:

The Pfizer Vaccine is now approved for all ages from 5 to 11. Will Royal Caribbean require ages 5 and up now require to be vaccinated soon? I certainly hope so. 

I suspect they will require the vaccine but at the earliest it will be into the New year. CDC approval just came yesterday and we (along with every other hospital and vax center) just ordered the vaccine which is a lower dose so we can't use what we have in stock. We expect to receive shipments next week and start vaccinating but it will take time to get it done. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That study says they don't know if the myocarditis cases in the <16 group were from covid or from MIS and that aspect requires further study.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm?s_cid=mm7035e5_e&ACSTrackingID=USCDC_921-DM64772&ACSTrackingLabel=MMWR Early Release - Vol. 70%2C August 31%2C 2021&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM64772

Also the 0-16 group is such a wide disparity, especially in this specific discussion of 5-11 yrs old.  Covid has affected (meaning, serious complications and death) the under 1yr  group more than any other pediatric age group

They're saying they don't know how many of the myocarditis cases are also associated with MIS-C. The MIS-C results from COVID. What they were looking to study further to ascertain was the severity of the myocarditis in relation to MIS --- if you have MIS, is the myocarditis more severe vs. if you don't have MIS? What they're seeing with the vaccine is the myocarditis is mild and generally clears on its own without intervention.

On 10/30/2021 at 8:57 AM, Kenneth said:

So here's a question to everyone. What are your feelings going to be when they drop the vaccination requirements? Because let's be real no cruise line will always require vaccination for a flu type virus. I personally could care less if someone is vaccinated because it is their choice and must do what is best in their eyes.

I'm hoping the drop the vax requirements before my cruise in early Feb.  A lot to hope for, but here we are.  I was originally told as long as I bought travel health insurance I wouldn't need it, and as I'm sailing out of Florida where they aren't supposed to be able to ask.  Looking at Nassau's web site it looks like you can enter with a negative PCR test even if you aren't vacced, so I don't get why its required.

15 minutes ago, Nate Y said:

I'm hoping the drop the vax requirements before my cruise in early Feb.  A lot to hope for, but here we are.  I was originally told as long as I bought travel health insurance I wouldn't need it, and as I'm sailing out of Florida where they aren't supposed to be able to ask.  Looking at Nassau's web site it looks like you can enter with a negative PCR test even if you aren't vacced, so I don't get why its required.

Different Bahamian rules for cruise passengers, must be vaccinated if age eligible.

Please tell me if I'm missing something. 

https://bs.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Unvaccinated Travelers:  Unvaccinated travelers ages 12 and older entering The Bahamas and/or those travelling inter-island from Nassau & Paradise Island, Grand Bahama Island, Bimini, Exuma, Abaco, and North and South Eleuthera, including Harbour Island, must obtain a negative COVID-19 PCR (swab) test taken no more than 5 days prior to the date of arrival. Test must return a negative result for entry into The Bahamas.

The only part specific to cruise passengers is that they are subject to rules of the cruise lines.

Cruise Passengers: All travelers entering The Bahamas on a cruise ship are subject to the testing requirements mandated by the cruise line and approved by The Bahamian government.

9 hours ago, GregD said:

I fully expect kids will be required to be vaccinated after a delay to allow people to get their shots. Richard Fain has always put out that vaccines are the way to get back to "normal cruising" so I don't expect him to back down from that.

My son has his appointments scheduled already, and my daughter was in the Pfizer trial, so we just need to have her unblinding appointment. We will be all set for our upcoming cruise in February.

Thank you for your daughter's participation in the trial. That is very generous of you...helping us all get out of this pandemic.

50 minutes ago, Nate Y said:

Unfortunately a while back they changed the vax "recommendation" to a vax "mandate".  You can no longer cruise unless you are fully vaccinated (eligible ages apply).  Florida is not enforcing the "cannot ask for proof of vaccination" so it's utterly useless.  They keep making fake indications that they are going to fine companies (cruise line included) who ask for proof of vaccination but it's only bluster.  The Bahamas and St. Thomas recently extended their prohibition for unvaccinated passengers but even if the cruise is going nowhere near The Bahamas or St. Thomas Royal is still requiring fully vaxxed.  Absolutely stupid.  I hope the vax mandate is ended soon too but I'm not holding my breath.  Thoroughly disgusted by all of it.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

but even if the cruise is going nowhere near The Bahamas or St. Thomas Royal is still requiring fully vaxxed

I did read somewhere that the Bahamas rules extend to any ship traveling through their waters, even if the ship isn't docking there. Also, I imagine it's easiest on Royal to issue a blanket vaccine mandate just in case something required a reroute last minute, as is probe to happen, because otherwise they'd be left without ports to dock at potentially if they didn't require the vaccine.

• 4 weeks later...

I mean honestly if they don't do it sometime the beginning of next year and every other cruiseline does, I can see where that can be good and bad.  For example, I know families who would much rather go on a 95% vax cruise than one with 1000 kids on it like one cruise had.  But I imagine there are also families who don't want to get their kids vaccinated.  Personally, as soon as my son can be vaccinated we will switch to Carnival or NC if RC doesn't update their vax policies.  I surely don't want to be on the one cruiseline that allows that largest population of unvaccinated people on it.  I am only doing it this time because of my 4 year old.

I remember my doctor changing his childhood vaccine policy and he said it used to be that I would get a handful of families a year who would sign the paper refusing vaccines.  Then as trends continued and he saw he was getting several a week he realized that so few doctors accepted unvaccinated patients that he was getting more and more patients and he wasn't comfortable with the large numbers of unvaxed.  So he changed it knowing he would lose patients but in his mind it was worth it because other families were getting uncomfortable with not having a policy.  I see the same happening with cruises.  The % of vaccinated guests on RC is going to be much lower and keep lowering the more other cruises make it 5+.  I mean Disney changed to 5+ and Carnival only allows on exception.  Those are two cruises who very much cater to families.

I think the biggest lesson learned is that Royal and Celebrity are not connected at the hip.  They are two separate lines with the ability to think and operate independently.  

So many times I see people trying to read tea leaves when Celebrity does something anticipating that will pass over to Royal.  Simple not the case.  Each company is independent and the two make their own decisions (and then reverse them) on their own.  

I'm not a scientist or a statistician but...I've been following the CDC Cruise Ship Color Status page for quite a while, as I'm sure many of us have, and what's pretty apparent to me is...

Regardless of vaccination policy, each line has had, and still has, sailings with covid cases aboard. Even cruise lines with 100% crew and passengers being vaccinated. Some are orange and some yellow...depending on the percentage of covid cases to total passengers. However, none have reached red status. This means every ship has been able to handle however many cases have presented...and successfully prevented widespread infection...without overtaxing their medical facilities. It seems most cases are breakthrough in vaccinated individuals and are presented with mild symptoms. 

I still feel cruising is safe...safer than being home and mingling with people at various businesses and venues. So, for me...I'll protect myself by booking more cruises!😁