WiFi/texting

Hi,

New to the board.

Going on Oasis of the Seas in February 2022.   I have 3 teenagers.

We have discussed and decided that none of us need internet access for anything, email, surfing, streaming etc...., after all we are on vacation!  However, if they need to get ahold of me, or I need to get ahold of them, texting seems to be the best way.  Back in the day, I brought small walkie-talkies with me.....I know I'm dating myself.  Go ahead and laugh!

So my question is:  Is the wifi for texting purposes free on the ship?  I really don't want to spend $10 per person per day unless I have to.

Thank you in advance

2 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

A follow up question would be whether you have to pay the $1.99 per person per day fee if you've purchased the internet package. 

If you have internet you will be able to use any internet-based messaging services to receive and send messages.  Sometimes you have to set things up to use regular cell phone text messaging to transfer via an internet connection and it doesn't automatically work in all cases.

43 minutes ago, Moxiegirl1977 said:

Purchase in advance or once on board?

The messaging feature for 1.99pp/day you purchase on board.

26 minutes ago, LoveCruising2021 said:

I have read other places that this might be different per ship as some ships are free. Is this correct?

All of the ships have moved to the pay messanging feature in the app now. It is no longer free.

Seems pretty lame that you'd have to pay an additional fee for their messaging service on top of the internet package. I get it that other wifi type messaging services can be used with the wifi, it just seems odd they wouldn't include messaging with their internet package.

Another side question. I read somewhere that there was a way to message your genie while on the ship (star class cabins) but I can't remember what messaging service they use. Can someone jog my memory?

16 hours ago, LoveCruising2021 said:

I have read other places that this might be different per ship as some ships are free. Is this correct? Thank you. 

That was the case pre-Covid. Since the return, its not free on any ships anymore.

• 2 years later...
On 10/27/2021 at 11:30 PM, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

A follow up question would be whether you have to pay the $1.99 per person per day fee if you've purchased the internet package.  @Matt do you know?

This follow-up inquiry raises an important question about potential fee exemptions for those who have purchased the internet bundle. Seeking confirmation from Matt on whether the $1.99 per person per day cost still applies is critical for users.Magic 8 balls

3 hours ago, Darsh said:

This follow-up inquiry raises an important question about potential fee exemptions for those who have purchased the internet bundle. Seeking confirmation from Matt on whether the $1.99 per person per day cost still applies is critical for users.Magic 8 balls

Texting through the app is now free for everyone except children.  I don't know why they aren't allowed this, but they aren't. I'm not sure what the minimum age is to use this.

1 hour ago, steverk said:

Texting through the app is now free for everyone except children.  I don't know why they aren't allowed this, but they aren't. I'm not sure what the minimum age is to use this.

13. My youngest was 12 this summer when we sailed, so we fudged her birth year in the app so she could appear 13 and have access. Can confirm the messaging app is free to use on board.

4 hours ago, steverk said:

COPPA - Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (FTC) https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/rules/childrens-online-privacy-protection-rule-coppa