Hurricane Matthew - Coco Cay and Labadee Impact

KLA

Hey Guys,

Surely by now we all know that there's a hurricane headed directly for the Bahamas and Haiti... while the cruise line will obviously do it's duty of keeping passengers safe, I was hoping to start a thread to keep track of news and any updates on what impact was had on Royal Caribbean's private islands themselves... which, will hopefully not involve any damage.

Also... while there's a huge concern for those altering their vacation plans, keep in your thoughts the locals of the islands that we love visiting as frequently as we can and hope that this storm creates as little negative impact as possible.

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the path of Matthew. Looked to me like Labadee would be right in the path.....as will the private islands that the cruise ships use off of the Bahamas.

Hopefully they are ok as well as the people there, but any news would be appreciated here for sure!

This is from my friends at the Haitian Cultural Tour, right next door to Labadee.

Thank you to all who voiced their concern. We in the north were very lucky that Hurricane Matthew stayed far enough west of Labadee and as a result, we only experienced light winds and rain. Our thoughts are with all of those in the south of Haiti who are suffering from the catastrophic effects of a category 4 hurricane. 

There is no doubt that our friends in the south will need all the help they can get. If you want to make donations, please do your research on the organizations in which you are donating to and be conscious of where and who supplies and funds are allocated. 

Mesi anpil,
The Haitian Cultural Tour Team

I gather from this past weekend cruises that Coco Cay was cancelled and really no info given about the condition of the island?

Sounds like Labadee wasn't hit too bad so shouldn't be much of an issue there. But the fact that basically no info was given about Coco Cay makes me think that perhaps it sustained some damage.

I am Jamaican. My beloved island was hit by the winds and rain. My family suffered a lot of damaged due to the fact we live by the Caribbean Sea. The waves broke down our break wall. My family are OK.

Very happy and relieved that your family are okay, but sorry to hear of the damage.

We on the Carolina coast aren't used to these late-season hurricanes, so Matthew was a surprise.  

I hope your family can get all of the damage repaired!

d

Very happy and relieved that your family are okay, but sorry to hear of the damage.

We on the Carolina coast aren't used to these late-season hurricanes, so Matthew was a surprise.  

I hope your family can get all of the damage repaired!

d

Thank you for your words of kindness. My family are fine physically. We have to make major repairs. Again thank you for your kind words.