Resident NRD?

cruiserccl

I'm very new to RCCL, so forgive me if this is a silly question.

But ... what is Resident NRD? I assume NRD is non-refundable deposit...but what does the "Resident" part refer to?

I'm inquiring because on one of my cruise I recently booked, it provided a very good discount under Resident NRD. But the second one, I booked yesterday, it doesn't offer that discount.

Any insight would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

My guess is you entered your state of residence and that particular cruise had a discount available to residents of that state and the second cruise did not.  My husband is a veteran and WHEN a military discount is available, it lists as Military NRD.  Again I am guessing but there must be a reason they ask for state of residence under other exclusive discounts.

13 hours ago, GKMCruising said:

Yeah, it's a state residency discount. I've gotten it on some cruises before, but there's not currently one for either of my two booked for next year. No idea how or when Royal decides to offer them though. Maybe @Sharla might have more insight?

Yep, resident discount. I have no idea the cruises Royal decides to give them on, but it seems like 2022 doesn't really have them right now. As with any reprice the resident discount could make the price go down, but it's at prevailing rates so the overall cruise care could also rise, I don't know how their algorithms work.

Thanks everyone!

At first I thought it had something to do with the state or website. So for this Dec cruise I received a discount and I'm Canadian and I put Canada and the province when booking. So I thought, perhaps I should try the Canadian website, and it provides it as well.

So, I thought it must be offered in NY since my cruise is out of Cape Liberty.

But then I tried another cruise in 2022 departing from Cape Liberty and it didn't offer it.

So, perhaps it is just offered whenever Royal wants to offer. I'm new so I couldn't understand why I got the discount for one cruise and not the other. 

I'll keep checking for my 2022 cruise, it may come up again.

Thanks again...I couldn't figure it out. I guess Royal just offers it whenever they want.🤷‍♀️

Honestly you could check prices every day and find different pricing and discounts over 50% of the time!  Once I book a cruise that is pretty much what I do…I figure the 5 or so minutes it takes me to check prices is worth what I most likely will end up saving!  Of course once you have hit your best price (which you really never know when that is) then the checking gets a bit tiring.  But…you will never know unless you check!

3 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Honestly you could check prices every day and find different pricing and discounts over 50% of the time!  Once I book a cruise that is pretty much what I do…I figure the 5 or so minutes it takes me to check prices is worth what I most likely will end up saving!  Of course once you have hit your best price (which you really never know when that is) then the checking gets a bit tiring.  But…you will never know unless you check!

I go through the cruise booking exercise about once a week until final payment date.  We have back to back cruises booked in 2022 and the price dropped on both cruises. We realized a combined $3600 savings from the original bookings.  I called RCCL and the cost of the cruises were adjusted and the balance we owed reduced.  Of interest we were given a NRD on cruise 1 and a NRD on cruise 2 when I called last week, but not on the original booking.  We never pay off the balance of a cruise until a few days before it's payment due date.  If we had paid the balance off, the price drop would have given to us in the form of onboard credit.  In that case we would have to make on board purchases we would normally not make to use it up.  I have read on the RCCL FAQ OBC's not used are lost. 

5 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I guess I just need to get used to checking constantly for pricing. The Resident NRD was such a good discount so I'm trying to figure out what is the requirement to get it. It sounds like it's offered in some promotions and not others. I thought it was more a discount than a promotion.

10 hours ago, cruiserccl said:

But then I tried another cruise in 2022 departing from Cape Liberty and it didn't offer it.

So, perhaps it is just offered whenever Royal wants to offer. I'm new so I couldn't understand why I got the discount for one cruise and not the other. 

I'll keep checking for my 2022 cruise, it may come up again.

The discounts might not be offered on popular weeks and they can change based on other factors. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 9:06 AM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

You are so correct! I thought I had hit my max of $900.00 savings since April of 2021 through today. I called this morning and thought they were going to tell me again that I had the best price, but low and behold, I got a $50 OBC. I was happy to get it:). Our cruise is Transatlantic in May 2022 and I have the best deal ever! Two people, Balcony (unobstructed), a total of $200.00 OBC 11 day cruise for a total of $2400.00. That has all tax and gratuities included. That comes out to $1,200 per person for 11 days from Jersery and landing in London. Seeing France and Portugal in between.....SWEEEET! Now lets just hope they don't cancel:(. They added the Resident credit to mine when I called on Black Friday. They usually add it when they have the $300-$500 savings posted. That is how they get the credit to you, They use a resident credit. That sale is on today so if you have a cruise booked with the credit, call and see if you can get it. Good luck

• 10 months later...
58 minutes ago, Peppwavew said:

We are booking two rooms, but we are only getting the discount on one of the rooms.  It’s a good chunk of change, and I can’t find an explanation on the RC site about why the second room doesn’t count.

Does anyone know if it is limited to one room?

There has to be someone eligible for the discount in each cabin you are booking.

17 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

There has to be someone eligible for the discount in each cabin you are booking.

We have people eligible in each room, but the web site won’t apply the discount to any room other than the first room.  We’re going to call for changes anyway, so we’ll confirm with RC.  But the web site won’t apply the discount to any additional rooms.

12 minutes ago, Peppwavew said:

We have people eligible in each room, but the web site won’t apply the discount to any room other than the first room.  We’re going to call for changes anyway, so we’ll confirm with RC.  But the web site won’t apply the discount to any additional rooms.

Could be they're combining multiple discounts into that one line and both rooms aren't eligible for all the discounts? Try mock booking the 2nd room independent of the first to see if they may be the case.

41 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Could be they're combining multiple discounts into that one line and both rooms aren't eligible for all the discounts? Try mock booking the 2nd room independent of the first to see if they may be the case.

We’re going to call about changing rooms anyway, so we’ll ask about it then.  If they can’t do anything, we’ll just make separate reservations to ensure the discount.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:51 PM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

How did you make out?

On 11/27/2022 at 10:32 AM, Peppwave said:

We’re going to call about changing rooms anyway, so we’ll ask about it then.  If they can’t do anything, we’ll just make separate reservations to ensure the discount.

First, we called and it all worked out just fine.

But for those who want to get the Resident discount on multiple rooms, you have to apply the discount at the beginning of each room selection process.  I thought I only needed to list my state when I was first starting my search, but you need to check for discounts on each room you at reserving.