Freedom of the Seas - major complaint

TonySisk

We just returned from a long weekend cruise on Freedom of the Seas. As typical. nothing is better than a Royal Caribbean cruise. This one was no exception...the cruise itself was fantastic. Now, it was more of a "party ship" than former cruises. 3,800 guest were onboard...at least 3,000 were Latino. They were so lively and fun.  Anyway, to the complaint.

We stayed on the 8th floor. all floors with guest rooms can be accessed from the front or the back elevators. So typically, we just use the elevators closest to our completed event before going to our room. The front elevators did not give us access to our room. Not only was it a huge inconvenience, but the communication was HORRIBLE.  The doors said "Crew Only". We have never experienced that before. There were no other communication. Well, we did what we should not have done, but we wanted to get to our room. So we went through the door and got to our room.

Come to find out (on our last day) that the 8th floor is one of the Covid wards for quarantine. NOT COOL.  I'm fine with them using a portion of the floor, JUST LET US KNOW.  The easy solution would be to let people know ahead of time. The really easy solution would be to put a sign outside the elevators, once they open to the 8th floor. Most people would understand. The "secrecy" was really annoying, and made our experience have one HUGE inconvenience that could have easily been avoided.

So message to Freedom of the Seas, do a better job to let your guests know what is going on. To guests, always ask questions. 

11 minutes ago, TonySisk said:

So message to Freedom of the Seas, do a better job to let your guests know what is going on. 

Speaking of letting the guests know what is going on, I walked out of the Ice Show on the last night of the cruise on the Freedom.  I always go to shows early to get good seats.  I was seated at the front part of Studio B, ordered a drink from the waiter, and was waiting for the show to start.  After about 15 minutes, an usher approached me and told me I had to move because the section was reserved for families with kids.  This was five minutes before the show started, no one was in that section.  The chances of the section being filled on the last night of the cruise was slim.  Even after I had asked to stay, the usher insisted I move.  I just walked out and told him, "What a way to ruin my last night on this cruise".  There was no signage, no barrier, no announcement, no usher to let me know the section was reserved.  If I had just sat down, I wouldn't have minded being asked to move.  But I was already seated for 15 minutes and served my drink... and the section was literally empty! Ai ai ai

12 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

After about 15 minutes, an usher approached me and told me I had to move because the section was reserved for families with kids.

Strange. On Ovation, they'd inform anyone that went into the "family" section at shows that they could sit there but would have to stay masked / physically distance from other parties. I don't think they kicked anyone out - maybe a capacity difference?

25 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

I don't think they kicked anyone out - maybe a capacity difference?

I don't think capacity was the issue.  The usher just failed to use common sense.  It was the last night of the cruise, people (especially those with children) were busy packing. Not many people go to shows on the last night... and I was by myself.  How much space can I take?  The only reason I was there was because I missed the earlier showing coming late from Izumi.

11 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I don't think capacity was the issue.  The usher just failed to use common sense.  It was the last night of the cruise, people (especially those with children) are busy packing. Not many people go to shows on the last night... and I was by myself.  How much space can I take?  The only reason I was there was because I missed the earlier showing coming late from Izumi.

Yeah, agreed. Some people are always too concerned with the letter of the law instead of the spirit. 

2 hours ago, TonySisk said:

The easy solution would be to let people know ahead of time. The really easy solution would be to put a sign outside the elevators, once they open to the 8th floor. 

You mean like the sign they put on the doors saying " Crew Only"?

If you took notice of that sign then you wouldn't have walked through parts of your floor used as a quarantine area!