How early can you embark?

Royal Caribbean usually starts checking in people around 10:00, and boarding typically starts around 11:00-11:30, but may vary significantly depending on how quickly everyone onboard from the previous sailing disembarked and whether there are any external factors that could delay boarding (US Coast Guard inspection, norovirus sanitization, etc.).

Their policy is that you must be checked in and onboard by no later than 90 minutes before departure.

I (and many others) recomend going early, the more time on the ship the better. It also gives you time to explore befor many people board. You may get a email or pre recorded call from Royal telling you your boarding time is 2pm. Ignore it, it's a dirty trick trying to spread out the people boarding :).

Enjoy!

We routinely get to the embarkation port the day before and stay in a hotel. Next morning we are at the port between 11:00 and 12:00 ready to board. I do not mind standing in line in order to be one of the first on board. We feel like the ship is all ours! Flying or driving to the port the day of embarkation leaves the door open for disaster, ie, plane delays, traffic accidents, traffic, etc. We do nit want to take a chance of being late or missing the departure.

Steve made an excellent point that "embarkation day is "Day 1" of your cruise". I have never thought of it that way! I was wondering if anyone had any tips for what to do after early boarding on Anthem. We have been on the ship before (this will be the second time in a year for us) Lunch is usually a top priority after traveling 4 hours to New Jersey and we would just normally migrate to Windjammer and then kind of wait around for luggage at that point. Is Windjammer the only choice? What else is open?

Absolutely get their the day before. We flew to Barcelona for our cruise 3 weeks ago and we were to fly from Knoxville to Chicago to Frankfort and then to Barcelona.  Well  Chicago was closed due to bad weather.  After a 4 hour delay the ticket agent booked us on a different airline and a totally different route.  We actually got to Barcelona 4 hours earlier than originally planned and with no stress or fuss.  When we lived in Florida we always stayed overnight at the cruise terminal city.  That was due to you never know when their will be an accident that ties up the interstates for hours.  It is definitely  worth the extra money for that incredible piece of mind.  Besides Windjammer open the pool bar and some other bars will be open as well.  Also you can book excursions, spa treatments, shows, etc. with no long lines.  It is worth getting their by 11 a.m.  Dress casual with your bathing suits on or have them ready in a carry on.  Wether its your 1st cruise or 30th it is always nice to explore the ship.  And if like to imbibe it is the perfect time to hit the pool bar and get to know the bartenders before the throngs hit.   Enjoy your cruise.

Lunch is usually a top priority after traveling 4 hours to New Jersey and we would just normally migrate to Windjammer and then kind of wait around for luggage at that point. Is Windjammer the only choice? What else is open?

Depends on the ship, but there are always different locations to have food onboard on that first day.  Especially on the bigger ships. 

• 4 weeks later...

I always get to the port early and often have to wait to board. Also, if you have any carry on bags, your room will not be ready until 1pm. On our Anthem out room was not ready til 2pm and had to lug around my carry on bag for hours. On our next cruise I think Im going to get to the port for 1pm. Get on board and go right to my cabin and drop off what I dont need. 

Anyone get to the ship later? Experience? 

I usually arrive at the port between 10:30-11, but there have been times when I've arrived later. Generally speaking, arriving at 1:30/2:00 results in little if any wait.

In my opinion, the wait is worth it to arrive early to enjoy lunch on the ship.

Actually when I checked in online O was asked what time I will arrive. On the Anthem I said Noon and that was my checkin time.

Check in has gotten much easier and quicker. We even uploaded photos to the website and those were used as the photo that pops up when you get on and off the ship. Now that might only be on Quantum Class and Harmony, not sure

On our next cruise I think Im going to get to the port for 1pm. Get on board and go right to my cabin and drop off what I dont need. 

Anyone get to the ship later? Experience? 

There are two "problems" with that strategy.

First, you will have less time overall onboard.  Yes, that's only 2-3 hours but that's 2-3 hours you paid for.

Second, and more importantly, everything will be more crowded.  There will be longer lines for check-in and the Windjammer will likely be more crowded.

Nothing wrong with your plan, just keep that in mind.