Portside BBQ Question

cruisellama

37 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

How was it?

I found the BBQ itself to be fine.  Not great but ok.  The sides (most specifically, the macaroni & cheese) to be awful.  It was fine for a snack but I would never plan on having it for a full meal.  Only tried once so maybe it was just a one-off.  BTW, I am a BBQ lover...

My wife and I tried it on Oasis earlier this month. We liked the BBQ and would definitely go back again. The sides were typical for a BBQ restaurant, nothing special. I agree the portions are huge!

No cover, just the a la carte pricing. I made the mistake of ordering the "3 Cuts" and spoiled my appetite for Chops Grille that evening!

image.thumb.jpeg.38f02d5a0545d7640dbdebe06e65b33c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f5b31d12d7eb32365c9f4f810517782f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efcb26a21bccf9fe01bf654b78d5dea1.jpeg

My wife ordered the "2 Cuts"..

image.thumb.jpeg.2580d31cde3af991b3f5e8fb725d5c47.jpeg

I ordered the "3-Cuts"...

image.thumb.jpeg.908caa9b8578cf8ce7fb851097246f56.jpeg

13 hours ago, Crusinjunky said:

What style BBQ does it resemble? I'm from the Memphis Tennessee area so BBQ is on most for our menus. 

They did a lot of research in Austin, Texas for the BBQ concept. Not saying that it's more like Texas style BBQ, but it may be influenced that way. 

Basically if you've been exposed to regional BBQ from the BBQ hotspots in the US, it's not going to blow you away. But it is a good deal for an alternative food option on Oasis with little to no waiting.

3 hours ago, JSB_Z51 said:

Interesting, Do they have an actual wood fired smoker on board?  

From a review article by @Matt,

At Portside BBQ, the cruise line introduced a bold hickory flavor that uses smoke from real wood. The Combi Oven Smokers slow cook chicken and burnt ends along with the meats and the oven technology locks in the flavor by improving cooking capacities with reduced moisture loss. Each oven is specifically programmed to perfectly cook all the BBQ items. Hickory wood chips are used in small portions to give just the right smoky flavor, and small batches are cooked throughout the day to provide fresh food for guests, while infusing the air with just enough smoke aromas to spark their appetite.

We just had Portside BBQ last week on Oasis.  Food was pretty good, I had the burnt ends and my wife had the brisket.  It's a lot of food for an a la carte price (no cover) and pretty tasty desserts.

They also have a live country music entertainer at various times during the afternoon/evening.  Even had the staff do a line dance. 

I'd go back.

I did this on Oasis at the end of Sept, my mother and I shared a 3 meat meal.  If you are gluten free its not a real friendly place with sides.  I had the burnt ends not the best I've ever eaten but not the worst, same with the brisket.  The ribs were tasty.  I watched one woman walk out with the three meats all in ribs.. the plate looked enormous. I had the cornbread as my side and my mother the cole slaw, both better than average.  An 18% tip is added to the ticket.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, wozswoman said:

I did this on Oasis at the end of Sept, my mother and I shared a 3 meat meal.  If you are gluten free its not a real friendly place with sides.  I had the burnt ends not the best I've ever eaten but not the worst, same with the brisket.  The ribs were tasty.  I watched one woman walk out with the three meats all in ribs.. the plate looked enormous. I had the cornbread as my side and my mother the cole slaw, both better than average.  An 18% tip is added to the ticket.

Was wondering about that -- travel with a DD who is gluten free (celiac).  Are the meats safe? That's what she'd mainly be interested in, anyway. Corn on the cob should be a safe side

54 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Was wondering about that -- travel with a DD who is gluten free (celiac).  Are the meats safe? That's what she'd mainly be interested in, anyway. Corn on the cob should be a safe side

My mother is not celiac but stays gluten free due to allergies. I cannot speak to what they put in the sauces but Mom did not have any trouble.  I would suggest however if you have not sent in the form for allergies you do so.  If you put in the special request form noting she is celiac then they will not cook her food with anything else.  My mother just let them know she was gluten free and our server asked if she was celiac just to be safe.  Our server in the MDR would tell Mom she could not have a particular dish once she told them she was gluten free. Every day she had shrimp cocktail appetizers because she loves them and everyday the server would have two ready for her. 🙂

On 11/7/2021 at 3:40 PM, wozswoman said:

My mother is not celiac but stays gluten free due to allergies. I cannot speak to what they put in the sauces but Mom did not have any trouble.  I would suggest however if you have not sent in the form for allergies you do so.  If you put in the special request form noting she is celiac then they will not cook her food with anything else.  My mother just let them know she was gluten free and our server asked if she was celiac just to be safe.  Our server in the MDR would tell Mom she could not have a particular dish once she told them she was gluten free. Every day she had shrimp cocktail appetizers because she loves them and everyday the server would have two ready for her. 🙂

Thank you, and we've had no trouble on past cruises, either in MDR or specialty.  Just haven't been on Oasis before, & the family is big on bbq, so was hoping to to be able to try it at least once.  Will definitely drop by and ask, was just hoping for a definitive answer before if one was available.  And yes, celiac is different from gluten sensitivity, although I understand that the latter can be very painful, although they may be able to tolerate stray cross contamination.  If DD is exposed, it's 24 - 48 hours of hell (nausea, brain fog, aches, etc), and the longer it's been since she's been exposed, the worse the rxn is, so we have to be really careful.  Thanks for the answer.

• 10 months later...

I thought portside bbq was pretty awful. The brisket was t terrible, the turkey was okay but the ribs were god awful.  It was all very salty. None of the meat had any smoke flavor and there was only mediocre sauce to choose from. I can only assume people that love this place have never had real barbecue.