Global Entry and Cruising With RCL Helpful Hints

leesam82

Hello All, 

I recently had the experience of being very nervous when as I am booked on a cruise with RCL in November.  I am in the process of renewing my passport and with all the delays with processing am very afraid that I would not get it back in time. Unfortunately for me I do not have a birth certificate from the the US and I would not be able to travel with the Drivers license and birth certificate. Luckily I have a trusted traveler ID issued through global entry. At first I was unsure if I could use this for cruising. After speaking with RCL and looking at their website I was told that I could. RCL website unfortunately listed FAST SENTRI and NExus trusted traveler IDs only. Then I called the US State Department and confirmed with them that cruising would be fine with my Global Entry Trusted Traveler ID.  (T

I recently checked in for my cruise with my ID. I then became nervous again as I checked in as in the documents it listed ownly FAST Sentri and Nexus. I was horrified and thought I would not be able to check in till my passport came. After talking with Both RCL and the US State Department again, I was told that the issuing of the ID was actually from SENTRI as behind my global entry trusted traveler ID card I did see the Sentri logo. I was told that I needed to select Sentri as the issuing department for the trusted traveler id. SO I wanted to share what I learned from my ordeal with those on this message board. 

1) Make sure you have documentation well in advance of your cruise so you do not need to be worried about getting your passport in time. Passport renewals and application times vary depending on where you send your documentation. There is a number to call if you sent in your application and will be traveling within two weeks to help expedite the process. Please also know that passport cards are also acceptable for travel. 

2) US Citizens can travel in through the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (see the Customs and Boarder Patrol for listed countries) with a drivers licence and birth certificate (must be from the US). 

3) Other acceptable forms of documentation are: An Enhanced Driver's licenses ( This is not the Real ID. But rather an even more enhanced version of Real ID and is not offered in all states in the US).  A Trusted Traveler ID issued by FAST, Nexus, or Sentri.  The global entry trusted traveler ID card is issued by Sentri.  If you have a trusted travel ID card check the back to see what logo is printed as that is the issuing department. 

I hope all this information will help others and prevent the many gray hairs that have formed on my head as I head for my first cruise after the restart!

• 4 months later...

@leesam82  I just wanted to confirm how everything went once you arrived after check-in,  you were able to show your ID and global entry card with sentri on the back without any issues? I've found myself in a similar position where my passport expired and although I could use my ID + birth cert for my cruise I'd rather just leave the BC at home and use my global entry card

On 3/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, Combine said:

@leesam82  I just wanted to confirm how everything went once you arrived after check-in,  you were able to show your ID and global entry card with sentri on the back without any issues? I've found myself in a similar position where my passport expired and although I could use my ID + birth cert for my cruise I'd rather just leave the BC at home and use my global entry card

I got very lucky and did get my passport last minute. I did ask the officer as i was returning if I twould be possible to renter using my globe entry ID card. It was confirmed that I could enter back into the united states.  I definitely recommend everyone checking their passports way in advanced to avoid this situation. I know my situation was very unique in that I didn't have a US birth certificate. THis option would be a good back up for those who do have a US birth certificate. I did also call the state department as well as the boarder protection and both did confirm that I coudl have traveled with the global entry. One caveat is that the ship must make a round trip to a US port and is only applicable to US citizens that hold a Golobal entry card with Sentri Fast or NExus.