Satin Ribbon Wristband Tip

PG Cruiser

I hated not being able to take off the satin wristband they give me at Coco Beach Club without damaging it.  So when I saw that in some ships they were also using the same bands for vaccinated people instead of the rubber/silicone ones, I came prepared.  I made sure I did not tighten the closure when they handed me the band at the port.

Instead I used a tiny rubber band (from the Rainbow Loom craze) to hold it in place.

IMG_0246.thumb.jpg.67e8dcc5fca97d1f2c921bff3fad5861.jpgIMG_0244.thumb.jpg.22e5f3d179be1b7e8ae1b23dba88154f.jpg

I was so glad I could take it off when I went swimming or when I was in the shower.  A wet satin band on the wrist feels gross .

I also hated when the "tail" dipped into my food at dinner.

Here on the Oasis, we had the rubber wrist bands for vaccinated guests last month. Much better than this cruise. These fabric bands are indeed uncomfortable when wet…even if just for a short time. And the long tail certainly gets in the way of eating. Even the comedian complained he kept getting marinara sauce on his shirt and he couldn’t figure out why! 
Most people cut the tails off. Me too. But, it isn’t easy using a fingernail clipper with one hand trying to nab the little wings! But, I got them!

FCDA6F3D-FEB4-4CC2-A8F4-8BC40A38ED89.jpeg

6 hours ago, BrianB said:

Here on the Oasis, we had the rubber wrist bands for vaccinated guests last month. Much better than this cruise. These fabric bands are indeed uncomfortable when wet…even if just for a short time. And the long tail certainly gets in the way of eating. Even the comedian complained he kept getting marinara sauce on his shirt and he couldn’t figure out why! 
Most people cut the tails off. Me too. But, it isn’t easy using a fingernail clipper with one hand trying to nab the little wings! But, I got them!

FCDA6F3D-FEB4-4CC2-A8F4-8BC40A38ED89.jpeg

crap. I didn't mind the rubber wristband last month, This looks horrid!

7 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I hated not being able to take off the satin wristband they give me at Coco Beach Club without damaging it.  So when I saw that in some ships they were also using the same bands for vaccinated people instead of the rubber/silicone ones, I came prepared.  I made sure I did not tighten the closure when they handed me the band at the port.

Instead I used a tiny rubber band (from the Rainbow Loom craze) to hold it in place.

IMG_0246.thumb.jpg.67e8dcc5fca97d1f2c921bff3fad5861.jpgIMG_0244.thumb.jpg.22e5f3d179be1b7e8ae1b23dba88154f.jpg

I was so glad I could take it off when I went swimming or when I was in the shower.  A wet satin band on the wrist feels gross .

I also hated when the "tail" dipped into my food at dinner.

I'm so glad I saw this.  I just face timed my daughter at college so she could point me in the direction of her old rainbow loom kit.  I practically cleaned out her closet to find it! LOL  

52 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I don't have a a clue what a Rainbow Loom is

4 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Yeah must have been after my daughter grew up, never heard of it.

It was the craze in 2014.   Rubber bands made into bracelets.  I had my 15 minutes of fame inventing the technique making "superhero figures" with the bands.  I'm PG of the PG's Loomacy (now PG's Projects) channel on YouTube.  Made good money too.

This was my best project

image.thumb.png.84cbd429b1af210d896647d6bc7253aa.png

Nowadays,  this YouTube Creator "has been" is just using the left over bands to secure his Royal wrist band. 🤣

10 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I wonder if they would allow the silicone bands if they are doing satin ribbons.  I imagine that is why they keep changing what they give out, so that people don't bring old stuff and share it?

Some B2B2B2B cruisers I've met recently have been using the same one and some weeks it's the wrong color but it seems to work for them.  It's been discussed often onboard.

On Freedom the loyalty ambassador was handing them out in the lounge while the rest of the ship was stuck with the cloth food draggers.  She even cut off my cloth one for me.

For Allure they offered me a choice in the terminal.

Royal must know the cloth ones are not popular.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Some B2B2B2B cruisers I've met recently have been using the same one and some weeks it's the wrong color but it seems to work for them.  It's been discussed often onboard.

On Freedom the loyalty ambassador was handing them out in the lounge while the rest of the ship was stuck with the cloth food draggers.  She even cut off my cloth one for me.

For Allure they offered me a choice in the terminal.

Royal must know the cloth ones are not popular.  

Glad it is working out but I can foresee that this kind of mixing-and-matching is going to cause confusion and perhaps a bit of fraud going forward.  I guess as long as they only have vaxxed pax on the ship there is minimal potential for fraud but that begs the question....if everyone is vaccinated why bother with the bands at all ?

6 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Concerts and festivals using these satin ribbon wristbands are using the "environment-friendly" card.

A couple of hours at a concert is different than 7 nights on a cruise ship.

Few people take a shower at a concert.  Wearing that wet cloth wristband after taking a shower or swimming in the ocean is gross.

When I checked in at Port Liberty last week, the agent put it on my wrist and tightened it just enough so that it couldn’t come off. He warned me that it was like a zip tie and can tighten but not loosen. He wouldn’t hand them to anyone, he claimed he had to put them on himself. 
I agree with the question above: If every adult is vaccinated, why are we wearing them? Don’t children wear wrist bands anyway to identify their muster stations or something? Maybe I’m missing something but it seems useless. 

41 minutes ago, BrianB said:

When I checked in at Port Liberty last week, the agent put it on my wrist and tightened it just enough so that it couldn’t come off. He warned me that it was like a zip tie and can tighten but not loosen. 

I will have to pack a plastic straw too

43 minutes ago, BrianB said:

If every adult is vaccinated, why are we wearing them? Don’t children wear wrist bands anyway to identify their muster stations or something? Maybe I’m missing something but it seems useless. 

From what I know, if there is someone unvaccinated in a group/party, the entire party is classified as unvaccinated.

8 hours ago, BrianB said:

If every adult is vaccinated, why are we wearing them? Don’t children wear wrist bands anyway to identify their muster stations or something? Maybe I’m missing something but it seems useless. 

There are a limited number of adults who may be unvaxxed due to religious exemptions or medical contraindications. But yes, largely useless.

58 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

So I'm guessing that vaccinated adults need the bands so they can go into "Vaccinated Only" venues and events, am I right?

Correct. They are allowed in there  even when traveling with an unvaccinated minor.

BUT that minor can not go in the vaccinated only area, so their choices are to stick to the open venues or split up from the unvaccinated members.

I think that if an adult is traveling with an unvaccinated child, then the adult is considered unvaccinated…while they are with the child. If they decide to leave the child somewhere and want to enter a vaccinated-only venue, they can…because they are wearing the wrist band. As far as unvaccinated due to religious or medical exemption…I don’t think Royal will allow them to cruise at this time. So…I think as of now…every adult must be vaccinated to board. So, why have wristbands?

41 minutes ago, BrianB said:

So, why have wristbands?

It reminds me about liquor laws and ID'ing people.

Can you tell the difference between a 11 and 12 year old? Then you have teens that look young for their age. 

Simply put, I think it's just easier to give 12+ wristbands

5 hours ago, Matt said:

It reminds me about liquor laws and ID'ing people.

Can you tell the difference between a 11 and 12 year old? Then you have teens that look young for their age. 

Simply put, I think it's just easier to give 12+ wristbands

Lots of things remind me about liquor, too! I’ll drink to that!😁

Another tip for those worrying about it being in the way is to put the band on your non-dominant hand.   Read tons of complaints but honestly hand had no real issues myself. I cut mine off a bit on my own (don't ask how cause I'm not tellin) and the clip slipped off completely so they can back off. But the people with it on their right wrist are constantly fiddling with it and having issues etc.  The people with it on their left are a lot happier so I have to figure it depends on what you use most. I was originally worried as I will be diving so it will be soaked and while in the hot tub or showering i have barely noticed. Then again I run a full length rash guard when I dive so I'm used to wet cloth against my skin. 

The bad thing about cutting it is mine has started to unwind a bit so a little heat from a lighter or a drop off super glue would not be a bad thing to have to fix it. 

Also guest services will trim them off if it's long. There was an older gentleman today with very small wrists that went down and they trimmed it with a pair of scissors they had on the desk. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 6:44 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

Shhot, this was posted after I left home. I don't have a a clue what a Rainbow Loom is, but for generations we've used those rubber bands for braiding horse manes. I could have grabbed some, lol. 

Good grief I have 3 tubs of braiding bands in my tack room lol. I use multicolor ones on my mini when we visit nursing homes etc. Never occurred to use on my cruise! Will stash some for March. 

I can’t get the damn thing off. Every time I go by guest services there is a long line. 

My wife has smaller wrists/hands and was able to slide hers off yesterday morning.  All I did was make mine tighter.  I’m getting no sympathy from her.  😁

I’ll ask our cabin steward if she has scissors when I see her 

41A94CA1-D0DE-4169-9125-62105D3B0E3F.jpeg

5 minutes ago, teddy said:

I can’t get the damn thing off. Every time I go by guest services there is a long line. 

My wife has smaller wrists/hands and was able to slide hers off yesterday morning.  All I did was make mine tighter.  I’m getting no sympathy from her.  😁

I’ll ask our cabin steward if she has scissors when I see her 

41A94CA1-D0DE-4169-9125-62105D3B0E3F.jpeg

I have discovered putting the small black retainer carefully into the crack between the bathroom door and the cabin wall on the hinge side then carefully closing the door will crack the black clip in two.  This allowed me to then tuck the cloth into the band for my apple watch when I needed to wear it but allows me to remove it completely to shower thereby avoiding the dreaded wet band syndrome. 

At home now I've been able to remove the plastic teeth that make the retainer one way and with a small piece of black electrical tape around it I now have a black retainer that allows loosening when required.  I'll carry that with me on my next cruise and use the bathroom door trick to break off the new retainer then re-use my two way home modified retainer.