Bimini Bahamas?

Irieman

Hello all, just got an email that my Key West stop has been switched to Bimini.  That actually sounds enticing but there is little talk of this port. On fact, I have never heard of Royal stopping there. Looking for any suggestions.

FYI, the port change is related to Grand Cayman still being closed to ships. The cascading effect switched out Key West for Bimini. 

3 hours ago, Irieman said:

Hello all, just got an email that my Key West stop has been switched to Bimini.  That actually sounds enticing but there is little talk of this port. On fact, I have never heard of Royal stopping there. Looking for any suggestions.

FYI, the port change is related to Grand Cayman still being closed to ships. The cascading effect switched out Key West for Bimini. 

Just got the email for my sailing on the Jewel of the Seas. I am going to wait and see what excursions Royal put together.

Like many, I received the email from Royal regarding the change due to the NO authorization of the authorities in Grand Cayman to receive cruises.

I called Royal and I received the refund for the shores excursions I booked for Grand Cayman.

Well, for me this new destination ( Bimini),  is not compere to Gran Cayman.

I am not excited about this change of destiny. I understand that for major reasons the stop in Grand Cayman is canceled. But I can't accept that Royal Caribbean couldn't find another destination like Coco Key for example.

Bimini can be a beautiful island, but for families with children or for seniors it does not look attractive.

I called Royal today to get cabins on the other ship leaving the same day and I had no chance. They couldn't get me a cabin at similar prices.

It's frustrating for me, as I chose this trip to take my mother on a cruise for her first time and on her birthday. We are a group of 8 adult people. The truth is that we prefer to cancel this trip.

I regret not being able to switch to another ship with another destination even though Royal may either compensate us for this change or take us to a better destination.

I am impressed that they are still offering this destination on this cruise and on the same day knowing that "Grand Cayman" is not going to be one of their stops.

*See attached.

I hope the Grand Cayman authorities change their mind and reopen their port.

Western Caribbean Royal-1.pdf

5 hours ago, Grisell said:

Like many, I received the email from Royal regarding the change due to the NO authorization of the authorities in Grand Cayman to receive cruises.

I called Royal and I received the refund for the shores excursions I booked for Grand Cayman.

I am not excited about this change of destiny. I understand that for major reasons the stop in Grand Cayman is canceled. But I can't accept that Royal Caribbean couldn't find another destination like Coco Key for example.

Bimini can be a beautiful island, but for families with children or for seniors it does not look attractive.

I called Royal today to get cabins on the other ship leaving the same day and I had no chance. They couldn't get me a cabin at similar prices.

It's frustrating for me, as I chose this trip to take my mother on a cruise for her first time and on her birthday. We are a group of 8 adult people. The truth is that we prefer to cancel this trip.

I regret not being able to switch to another ship with another destination even though Royal may either compensate us for this change or take us to a better destination.

I am impressed that they are still offering this destination on this cruise and on the same day knowing that "Grand Cayman" is not going to be one of their stops.

*See attached.

Western Caribbean Royal-1.pdf 424.76 kB · 0 downloads

Bimini Bahamas is the alternate for Key West. Costa Maya is the alternate to Grand Cayman.

The explanation provided by RCL for the change from Key West to Bimini does not make sense.

The explanation is "Regrettably, this impacts our visit to Key West, Florida because of its distance from Mexico. Instead, we'll visit Bimini, Bahamas.".

Given that Bimini is approximately 175 miles northeast of Key West (further from Mexico)...and Key West was the first port of call...puzzling what Key West and its distance to Mexico has to do with anything.

The only thing I can come up with is that the visit to the Bahamas instead of Key West changes the vaccination rules they will use(?).

6 hours ago, Grisell said:

*See attached.

Western Caribbean Royal-1.pdf 424.76 kB · 0 downloads

You may need alter your expectations.

Cruising is never certain and ports can and do change for many reasons, even before covid.  Grand Cayman is actually one of the most "cancelled" ports because it is a tender port and weather intervenes.  Sometimes, entire itineraries can change at the last minute due to storms, etc.

While I understand your disappointment, this is somewhat "normal" in the cruising world - not that different than flight time changes/delays/cancellations. It is to be expected from time to time.

I understand people's frustration. Losing certain ports in the past made me feel like the Apollo 13 astronauts when they realized they lost thier moon shot.

Cuba, gone- A,B, C islands gone- etc. With that said every change brought different joys for us.  So on to Bimini instead of Key West and Belize instead of Grand Cayman.  

Looks like Bimini is a beach and water heaven! Still looking for ideas if what to do. Been to Belize twice but always looking for new suggestions. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Irieman said:

I understand people's frustration. Losing certain ports in the past made me feel like the Apollo 13 astronauts when they realized they lost thier moon shot.

Cuba, gone- A,B, C islands gone- etc. With that said every change brought different joys for us.  So on to Bimini instead of Key West and Belize instead of Grand Cayman.  

Looks like Bimini is a beach and water heaven! Still looking for ideas if what to do. Been to Belize twice but always looking for new suggestions. Thanks!

Belize is actually a good sub for GC since it is a tender port and has stingrays! 

I actually think Belize is frustrating as a port - it has little to do close to the port.  You basically have cave tubing which is a bus/taxi ride and a hike, or getting on another boat (after you tender) to get to a decent beach or to snorkel.  It was one of the few times I have ever done a ship excursion due to the logistics of planning a snorkel trip on my own.  The snorkeling was excellent however - although I prefer to snorkel from the beach rather than from a boat.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any shore excursions listed on the RCC website for Bimini.

I'm on the Jewel the 28th also.

Has anyone ever taken the 'Mayan Evolution' excursion? I'm a little apprehensive about visiting a local's home (with the pandemic), and eating a meal while there.

Thanks!

On 11/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, J.W. said:

I don't see any shore excursions listed on the RCC website for Bimini.

I'm on the Jewel the 28th also.

Has anyone ever taken the 'Mayan Evolution' excursion? I'm a little apprehensive about visiting a local's home (with the pandemic), and eating a meal while there.

Thanks!

I was told by someone that did it that it was awesome so I signed up for it.  I'm on the 28th sailing also, going solo.

On 11/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, AlexM said:

I was told by someone that did it that it was awesome so I signed up for it.  I'm on the 28th sailing also, going solo.

I too signed up with Neal Watsons for the Jewel sailing on the 28th. It's a shark feeding dive #1 and then a dip on the Sapona.

For Cozumel I am diving with Marine World on one of their 8am boats and could be talked into doing an extra shore dive afterwards.  

Are you doing a B2B by any chance? I have diving scheduled for those ports too.