CVS no longer replacing vaccine cards.

MuttMutt

Headed down to Houston today and my friend didn't have her vaccine card. We were only about an hour from home but figured would call CVS since they always advertised they would replace it. We were told they "no longer replace lost or damaged cards."  Anyway wasted a couple hours and picked up the original card but wanted to let people know that replacements may be am issue. 

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

WOW !  Good thing you had the presence of mind to call and ask.  I would have made a VERY BAD assumption that it wouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah. I originally figured just run back and get it. Wasted another 20 minutes of so while she called. Let's just say i was not happy and would have preferred to be 20 minutes closer to home. But we got it and were only a couple hours behind. Still got to the room by about 9 lasst night but unless they give grief over the site name on mine we should be good. 

It's sad that these places hammer you with one thing then change their minds and don't honor it later.  

The real problem is this is going to be more of an issue as we continue to need to use these cards as time goes on.

I know most states have records of these Vaccinations, but to get a replacement card is difficult at best.

Continuing to rely on this silly hand written card as the only acceptable proof, in the computer age is ridiculousness

31 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

The real problem is this is going to be more of an issue as we continue to need to use these cards as time goes on.

I know most states have records of these Vaccinations, but to get a replacement card is difficult at best.

Continuing to rely on this silly hand written card as the only acceptable proof, in the computer age is ridiculousness

If only there were a way to have a centralized database, and a handheld computer of some sort that could produce a unique image of some sort that couldn’t be faked and another computer of some sort could read that image and decipher the vaccine information. 

maybe some day. 

Sadly the government nor the private sector have been able to fully secure anything internet connected. That makes a huge database a big issue. We constantly hear about places that have been hacked with leaked information. Most of the time the answer is "oops...  sorry about that here is a couple years of free monitoring."  Too bad that the information will never go away. It's time we start uncoupling from using the ssn for identifying people. 

There is honestly no best option at this point that I can think of other than generating something like a qr code that carries all the needed info for proof embedded in it. No database,  no physical card. Once it's generated the only thing to verify is the test location and lot numbers which can be in a database with minimal risk to personal data exposure. 

17 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

Headed down to Houston today and my friend didn't have her vaccine card. We were only about an hour from home

Rather lucky you were driving to the port and she remembered soon enough! Those of us that need to fly would be screwed!

This is why I have a checklist on my phone's notepad for EVERYTHING we need to bring. (And I do mean EVERYTHING)

CVS not honoring their original commitment is disgraceful. I actually wish we had an acceptable electronic copy (QR code, photo, pdf doc, etc.) instead of having these easily lost or destroyed pieces of paper we're not supposed to laminate in the name of boosters.

I bought us a couple passport/vax card holders just to have something that makes it easy to travel with and keep it in good condition.

Is it not available on your MyChart for CVS? I didn't get mine at CVS, but my UTMB MyChart where I did get mine has the ability to pull up all the info and generate a signed letter with the information on demand, which is supposed to be adequate for these purposes. That *might* be why they don't replace the paper one anymore. 

3 hours ago, SPS said:

I actually wish we had an acceptable electronic copy (QR code, photo, pdf doc, etc.) instead of having these easily lost or destroyed pieces of paper we're not supposed to laminate in the name of boosters.

I bought us a couple passport/vax card holders just to have something that makes it easy to travel with and keep it in good condition.

CVS does offer a QR code in the CVS App for those who have their vaccine from CVS.  You just need to download the CVS app and login with your information.

1 hour ago, emmef said:

CVS does offer a QR code in the CVS App for those who have their vaccine from CVS.  You just need to download the CVS app and login with your information.

Thank you so much! 🙂. Ours wasn’t showing on the CVS site a month ago, so forgot about it.  I just checked again, and they are now there! Downloaded as pdf and saved to my electronic files.  

So now, Ms Over-Documenter has our cards, this electronic record and the paper shot record from the state of TN. 😂 We should be good to go for our cruise in December. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:30 PM, MuttMutt said:

Headed down to Houston today and my friend didn't have her vaccine card. We were only about an hour from home but figured would call CVS since they always advertised they would replace it. We were told they "no longer replace lost or damaged cards."  Anyway wasted a couple hours and picked up the original card but wanted to let people know that replacements may be am issue. 

On a side note, when we got our booster shot at CVS, they created a new card as there wasn't enough space left on our original cards.  So if traveler's are diligent about getting boosters, they will at least have one "card" to show authorities along with whatever printout they can get for their original shots.  Not a solution to your issue, but perhaps a work-around of sorts.  We always photograph our cards on our phone as additional backup.

After Royal has seen my card one time on a sailing, why can't they have a field in your C&A record that is checked to say fully vaccinated.  they manage to track lots of other information, don't need to see the card 6 times a year cause I don't all of a sudden become Un-Vaccinated

DH is insisting we don't need to bring the cards, but I'm pretty sure everything I've read so far says we do -- is that correct? We haven't been able to check in yet, so not sure what we'll have to do, but we do all have pics of our cards, and I was able to download an app (good for NJ , Minnesota & Utah) that shows your vaccine record, although it took a weirdly long time to "find" my records.  I was vaccinated in Dec & Jan, found out about this app in mid July, tried several times to find my records, and then suddenly, this week, after I got my Pfizer booster dose -- all 3 are listed.

BTW -- I also managed to lose my card, but since I work at the hospital where I got the dose, & there are electronic records, as well as my showing the picture of my original card, I was able to get a replacement.

Better story -- DD got the J&J vaccine in April (day before they suspended use temporarily for side effects), came home, & when I asked to see her card, all that was on it was the location -- no name, no manufacturer, lot, exp date -- NOTHING!!!. Then, since they suspended that vaccine, the site she went to wasn't open, so no good there. Finally, after going online, filling out forms, filling out forms AGAIN, calling, etc -- I told her to go to the place again (it was done as a "drive thru" site outside another town's Dept of Health) go in to the office & explain the problem.  They were able to look it up and fill in the info for her, but it took a couple of months.  I'd hate to try to replace that one.

28 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

DH is insisting we don't need to bring the cards, but I'm pretty sure everything I've read so far says we do -- is that correct? We haven't been able to check in yet, so not sure what we'll have to do, but we do all have pics of our cards, and I was able to download an app (good for NJ , Minnesota & Utah) that shows your vaccine record, although it took a weirdly long time to "find" my records.  I was vaccinated in Dec & Jan, found out about this app in mid July, tried several times to find my records, and then suddenly, this week, after I got my Pfizer booster dose -- all 3 are listed.

BTW -- I also managed to lose my card, but since I work at the hospital where I got the dose, & there are electronic records, as well as my showing the picture of my original card, I was able to get a replacement.

Better story -- DD got the J&J vaccine in April (day before they suspended use temporarily for side effects), came home, & when I asked to see her card, all that was on it was the location -- no name, no manufacturer, lot, exp date -- NOTHING!!!. Then, since they suspended that vaccine, the site she went to wasn't open, so no good there. Finally, after going online, filling out forms, filling out forms AGAIN, calling, etc -- I told her to go to the place again (it was done as a "drive thru" site outside another town's Dept of Health) go in to the office & explain the problem.  They were able to look it up and fill in the info for her, but it took a couple of months.  I'd hate to try to replace that one.

You will have a problem if you don’t have physical proof of some sort for your vaccines.