Sabor on Freedom question

ang73

Hi Guys!

We will be Freedom in about a week!!  We haven't done Sabor before and would really like to try it this cruise.  My questions are...

The cruise planner only give times for dinner as an option to book ahead.  Is Sabor open for lunch on Freedom?  

If it is open for lunch is there usually a price difference between lunch and dinner.  We have a family of 5 because all 3 kids want to go, so if it's any cheaper for lunch it could save us a decent amount of money. 

Thanks in advance!!

Angi

• 2 weeks later...

first day they are usually offering 20% discounts on specialty dining

True, but this only works on the ships where there is a cover charge.  On Allure, it's a la carte, so there's usually not a discount.  However, this works to our advantage since we already bought the 5 night package for a 6 night cruise and want to eat once in the MDR even though our TA gave us two specialty dining credits.  Thus, each is worth $30 at Sabor, so we're going to go there for lunch on the first day and use the first $30 for the three of us.

• 1 month later...

So I was looking at Sabor for my upcoming cruise on Navigator....looks like its $30/person plus you pay for every item of food you eat.

Am I missing something? that seems pretty expensive and not the way the others are set up. Usually its a la carte pricing with no cover, or you pay a cover and its all included.

Anyone know why it would be different on Navigator?

We've done Sabor on Freedom and Oasis so I don't have any answers for Navigator.  On Freedom it was a specialty dining where the cost was for the meal and on Oasis it was a la carte pricing.  We had three people and it cost us $28 for all three on Oasis.  Never heard of paying to go in and paying to eat.   

So I was looking at Sabor for my upcoming cruise on Navigator....looks like its $30/person plus you pay for every item of food you eat.

Am I missing something? that seems pretty expensive and not the way the others are set up. Usually its a la carte pricing with no cover, or you pay a cover and its all included.

The $30 covers everything. The menu you're viewing is from the Oasis class ships where Sabor is a la carte. On non-Oasis class ships the cover charge covers everything like at Chops.

Sounds like you are seeing the Oasis menu.  I promise that on Navigator, everything on the menu is included with cover charge (other than booze).

Yeah....but according to my cruise planner..it is $30 to book it..and then it lists the menu prices for each option on the menu. I am guessing is has to be a glitch, but would be nice to know ahead of time which pricing it is.

On ships that have Sabor Modern Mexican (such as the Freedom), you pay a cover, but all food is included for that charge.  While we were on, a margarita was also included, but I suspect this varies based on the restaurant manager/revenue management.  That in mind, on Freedom we did see that they offered guac "to go" or for consumption at the Schooner Bar right next door.  

On ships that have Sabor Taqueria (Oasis class), there is no cover, and everything is a la carte.  I find this preferable, as I like to come in for a quick snack some times, not commiting to a full meal.

pic: http://bit.ly/saborguac

I would probably prefer the a la carte option.....but if they are going to charge me $30 I am going to eat my money's worth for sure!...lol

I do like the option to just buy guacamole and chips with a la carte, but if I want to sit down for a meal, the cover charge model makes way more sense (plus I like the ambiance/experience of Freedom/Voyager class Sabor over Oasis class).

I would probably prefer the a la carte option.....but if they are going to charge me $30 I am going to eat my money's worth for sure!...lol

I am going to have the drink package so hopefully the drinks in there will be included or that would be a deal breaker I think.

I can tell you on Allure the margaritas were included with the drink package - no problem at all.  On Freedom they initially said they weren't.  When we protested (with the assistance of our fearless leader, Annette (it's good to not only have a good travel agent, but to travel with her) they were then covered.  It seemed odd as the wording for beverage packages is quite clear, covering drinks up to $12 (or $13 as we saw on the past on some ships), but in the end all was well.

The $30 covers everything. The menu you're viewing is from the Oasis class ships where Sabor is a la carte. On non-Oasis class ships the cover charge covers everything like at Chops.

I know the cost of margaritas would be additional...but do they offer a pitcher of "top shelf" margaritas...or just individual margaritas?  

I know the cost of margaritas would be additional...but do they offer a pitcher of "top shelf" margaritas...or just individual margaritas?  

I've not seen this, and I wouldn't count on it, but I have learned this year that many things in RCL restaurants are discretionary - so ask, offer up a deal, because you just don't know if you don't ask.

One tip for booking Sabor on freedom. They offered me a 20% reduction and free margaritas on the 3rd day of both of my back 2 backs 2 weeks ago, not sure if this is the norm.  The waiters were out touting for business most days. So it might be a good idea to wait and book on board if anyone interested in going.

One tip for booking Sabor on freedom. They offered me a 20% reduction and free margaritas on the 3rd day of both of my back 2 backs 2 weeks ago, not sure if this is the norm.  The waiters were out touting for business most days. So it might be a good idea to wait and book on board if anyone interested in going.

I've seen random discounts similar to that offered too. One time there was a guac demo listed in the Cruise Compass and following it, they offered a discount for dinner.

When we ate Sabor for lunch towards the beginning of the cruise, they offered at the end for us to do the guac making class.  This was a great deal!  They taught us how to make the guac, all the margaritas, and then included lunch and a margarita and the avocado tool.  It was a limited menu but still great.  Highly recommend it!