Traveling solo

Kevin M

13 hours ago, Kevin M said:

I’m going on the brilliance of the seas I think as a solo traveler maybe previous solo travelers can give me some tips on how to make the most of it.

It depends on why you are traveling solo - time alone or meet new people?

For time alone, you have the dining options and the sightseeing excursions. When it’s my first time in a port/destination, I usually book the “Best of” types of tours.

If it’s to meet new people, you can start with joining the Trivia games, dance classes, club events, and of course, checking out the bars.

Have never done a cruise solo, but I'm going on Adventure next month for a quick 4 nighter solo. I've done solo trips to Vegas and road trips and I really enjoy them. I figure the cruise will just be more of the same. I'm looking forward to do whatever I want, whenever I want, and just letting the stress of the last few months melt away. My only hesitancy is dinner. I had planned to go to Windjammer for dinner but I've seen that it's not open for dinner on some ships.

I love cruising solo. What I want, where I want, when I want. And, most importantly, with who I want. Most times I like being alone. I get a table for one at any restaurant and usually read while I eat. When talking with fellow cruisers, I find most are great people, happy to be on vacation, and it’s good sharing stories and tips. Even just talking with members of the crew is a great way to learn about them, their countries and a lot of insider information. I come and go as I please, never having to consider what someone else wants to do. 
I can go on and on but I suddenly decided I feel like getting a slice of Sorrentos Pizza. I’m on the Oasis now. Ciao!

As a former business traveler I took many business trips solo.  I chose not to eat my meals in a drive through so I just got comfortable eating by myself in regular and nicer restaurants.  

I basically told myself cruising solo is like a business trip solo.  With that established I booked my first cruise solo and haven’t looked back. 

Tips?   We are all different so that’s tough. I have zero hesitation eating solo in specialty dining or the MDR when cruising solo. I generally find most waitstaff accelerate service when solo which I appreciate so I can move on to another activity.  

Pre-pandemic solo was great for scoring seats last minute in theaters because there is often a single seat available in prime locations.  

What I love about cruising solo is that everyone is in a good mood and it’s generally easy to strike up a conversation in a bar.  So I can escape when I feel like it and just sit in a corner of the ship by myself or I can sit at the bar and engage with others when I want to.  

I did my first solo cruise last month.

thankfully I had joined a Facebook group for that sailing….check Facebook, search Brilliance of the Seas (month/year) to see if there is a group.  There might be a solo meet and greet set up by a Facebook member. If there isn’t one set up I recommend you do it. Pick a time around 4 or so (whatever gives everyone time to unpack) , pick a bar location by the pool or otherwise.  
I’m  leaving on a cruise this weekend and the meet and greet was set up for day 2…followed by a pub crawl.  So I set up a meet on day 1….I’m hoping to meet some fellow solos the first day, and of course I’ll be at the day 2  meet.

the group I met in September agreed to meet at 10am for trivia and then we liked each other’s company so had the main dining room set us up for a nightly dinner reservation.  I really hope my next cruise will be at least half as nice.  If not I’ll have some books with me so I’ll read.

btw, usually there are singles events in the cruise planner but there were none. (I’m not single, just traveling solo) the cruise director was asked and stated it was because of Covid-they didn’t want singles hooking up! Lol maybe things will change by the time of your sailing.

3 hours ago, Brando95 said:

My only hesitancy is dinner. I had planned to go to Windjammer for dinner but I've seen that it's not open for dinner on some ships.

I totally understand this!  Most times I am happy to talk to whoever is around me, but sometimes I just want time on my own.  I normally carry a book with me so that I can have something to do if there is no one to talk to (or if I don't want to).  Enjoy traveling on your terms, and you'll discover what works best for you.

I'll third the book carrying - which I do with when i'm not solo anyway. I enjoy getting a table in a nice restaurant myself, getting a glass of wine or a drink and eating my meal while reading. If you want to meet people, book a tour, tours are great for meeting friendly people. 

My March solo cruise - I booked spa services which isn't something I normally do. It depends on where I'm going and what my destination is but I tend to like the solo time. I don't necessarily need to chat with people but I do welcome it.

I love cruising solo, travelling solo, not as much anymore. Like others have stated, you have the upmost freedom. I hate waiting on others when I am trying to get somewhere to enjoy something. In the past I just had fun on my on, striking up conversations when I felt like it. People will gravitate towards you, often telling you how "brave" it is to vacation solo. This often results with invitations to join them, so you won't actually ever feel alone. I have never used the roll calls to meet up with other solos, but plan to on my Jan 22' cruises. Plus it is a great way to try things in a judgement free zone. I don't dance because I got no rhythm but I sure do try on cruise ships😝

I have only started cruising solo about 4 years ago and I LOVE it.  I have done 3 solo cruises on RCCL, 1 on Celebrity and 2 resort vacations.  My last was on Oasis this past September and I am thinking about Anthem for this Christmas. What I like about solo vacations is that you can do whatever you want when you want and no arguments (unless you argue with yourself) .  The first night in the MDR can feel a little awkward but with the right waitstaff you will do fine.   I enjoyed eating in the MDR solo because the waitstaff seem to pay special attention to us solo cruisers (at least I feel that way).  Also there is no one at my table to judge me or comment if I want 2 desserts every night.  I did have a few invites to join others at dinner because they felt sad that I was eating alone.  I thanked them and told them that I enjoy my own company.    I am also one that always carries my e-reader with me when I eat (I do it at home too).  As @Ampurp85 said when people hear you're cruising solo they tell you how brave your are and they wish they could do it.  I only had 1 little problem travelling by myself & that was at Thrill Waterpark and I wanted to go on the Slingshot and had to have 2 people but I managed to find @Cruising With JTand he went on it with me (he was cruising solo too).  

I recently went solo to Alaska and really enjoyed it. The only awkward time was dining alone in the main dining rooms but I was able to have great conversations with the couples next to me so these times were actually some of the most enjoyable times on the ship.  Going solo is King.  

On 10/22/2021 at 10:47 AM, MaryS said:

I have only started cruising solo about 4 years ago and I LOVE it.  I have done 3 solo cruises on RCCL, 1 on Celebrity and 2 resort vacations.  My last was on Oasis this past September and I am thinking about Anthem for this Christmas. What I like about solo vacations is that you can do whatever you want when you want and no arguments (unless you argue with yourself) .  The first night in the MDR can feel a little awkward but with the right waitstaff you will do fine.   I enjoyed eating in the MDR solo because the waitstaff seem to pay special attention to us solo cruisers (at least I feel that way).  Also there is no one at my table to judge me or comment if I want 2 desserts every night.  I did have a few invites to join others at dinner because they felt sad that I was eating alone.  I thanked them and told them that I enjoy my own company.    I am also one that always carries my e-reader with me when I eat (I do it at home too).  As @Ampurp85 said when people hear you're cruising solo they tell you how brave your are and they wish they could do it.  I only had 1 little problem travelling by myself & that was at Thrill Waterpark and I wanted to go on the Slingshot and had to have 2 people but I managed to find @Cruising With JTand he went on it with me (he was cruising solo too).  

Hi @MaryS! I am so happy that I met you at Thrill Waterpark and we got to go on the Slingshot together, that was so much fun 🙂 I miss it and can't believe it's been over a month now! How have you been? I just wrapped up my 4th and final solo cruise of 2021 last week (on the Norwegian Encore, last ship to go to Alaska in 2021 and it was epic!). I shared a bunch of pics, reels and videos on my Instagram, Facebook and YouTube pages, more coming soon. Hope you enjoy and get to relive some of the memories that I posted from our Oasis cruise 🙂 

Join a roll call - whether on CC, Facebook or here on the blog (if there’s not one listed, create one!) I’ve found, as a solo cruiser, that you can meet ppl and have fun in groups, while still doing your own thing. The friends you make on a cruise can become amazing friends.