ROYAL'S FIRST EVER WORLD CRUISE!!!

It would be great if there was a way to do a relay on world cruises. You know where people could all pitch in for a room but split the time. Even working from home, 9 months on a ship away from everything is going to be very hard. But if you could hand off the room at certain segments and destinations, then it would be amazing.

3 hours ago, deep1 said:

Most I like... No Bora Bora? Thats inhuman. Best stop n that area...! Then I see them doing like others. Most cruises can be had around a 100 a night for plain Jane... This one is over $200 a night starting.  

Let’s price out the inclusions:

- business class airfare to Miami: $1,000

- hotel the night before: $250

-Deluxe Beverage package ($50/day+gratuity): $16,166

- Wash and Fold Laundry (3 bags/week at $25/bag): $2935

- Gratuities ($14.50/day): $3973

- VOOM Surf and Stream ($16/day): $4384

Inclusions total is $28,708

interior stateroom is $65,000 after taxes and port fees. Less the inclusions, you’re at $36,292. Per day, that’s $132. Not bad, and not a terrible premium considering YOU’RE GOING AROUND THE WORLD.

It's a once in a lifetime experience to be able to visit so many places.  Obviously its not for everyone for many reasons.  I love the idea, but I can think of many challenges even if I were retired and had the money.  

Having said that, I will admit it is something I would love to do someday.  I hope it is successful and is continued.

44 minutes ago, MattG said:

Let’s price out the inclusions:

- business class airfare to Miami: $1,000

- hotel the night before: $250

-Deluxe Beverage package ($50/day+gratuity): $16,166

- Wash and Fold Laundry (3 bags/week at $25/bag): $2935

- Gratuities ($14.50/day): $3973

- VOOM Surf and Stream ($16/day): $4384

Inclusions total is $28,708

interior stateroom is $65,000 after taxes and port fees. Less the inclusions, you’re at $36,292. Per day, that’s $132. Not bad, and not a terrible premium considering YOU’RE GOING AROUND THE WORLD.

I live Miami and don't drink so that bumps a big chunk of it into  unused column...... And still no Bora Bora...  😀 Not saying I'm not still very interested   but those are stumbling blocks for me... On two other lines they start closer to 30... Still I would prefer RCL at a premium... 

This cruise is obviously for a very small segment of people. The vast majority cannot feasibly manage a trip like this due to time and financial constraints. A large portion of those that do have the time and means would probably choose a different form of travel to take in the wonders of the world rather than being “stuck” on the same ship for 9 months.

I’m curious to know....of all the cruise enthusiasts on this forum, if the time (away from work) and money factor were removed, how many would actually want to go on this cruise. Keeping in mind, only time away from work and money factors are removed, all other factors remain in play (time away from home, time away from family, time away from your regular hobbies, the fact it is only one ‘small’ ship you are on the entire time, etc)

I have thought about it a lot since the announcement and have decided that I would go if time away from work and money were not a factor.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:48 PM, twangster said:

All the segments have some pretty impressive destinations.

I feel like long segmented cruises would be an amazing way to actually market this to the younger generations. We have been saving for a Star Class suite... I would MUCH rather do something like this a segment at a time. It makes me think of Spartan runs. You do certain segments and get a piece of a large puzzle which when combined, makes a cool metal. RCI could even flaunt off the sections you have completed by displaying them on your cruise pass, or door. 

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I’m curious to know....of all the cruise enthusiasts on this forum, if the time (away from work) and money factor were removed, how many would actually want to go on this cruise. Keeping in mind, only time away from work and money factors are removed, all other factors remain in play (time away from home, time away from family, time away from your regular hobbies, the fact it is only one ‘small’ ship you are on the entire time, etc)

I would absolutely go! My hubby...maybe not so much. He tends to get a little seasick from time to time.

@bryresangel I couldn’t commit to waking up on the Serenade for 274 days.  I’m sure I’d grow tired of the food, and living in a small cruise community.  I would totally miss the comforts, privacy of home and want my regular life back.  There might be a little more intrigue  if it was a newer exciting more contemporary cruise ship, but the thrill of seeing the world wouldn’t last long, getting back on an old cruise ship day after day.

3 hours ago, deep1 said:

I live Miami and don't drink so that bumps a big chunk of it into  unused column...... And still no Bora Bora...  😀 Not saying I'm not still very interested   but those are stumbling blocks for me... On two other lines they start closer to 30... Still I would prefer RCL at a premium... 

7 hours ago, deep1 said:

Most I like... No Bora Bora? Thats inhuman. Best stop n that area...! Then I see them doing like others. Most cruises can be had around a 100 a night for plain Jane... This one is over $200 a night starting.  

Beginning next year French Polynesia is banning all but small ships.  They are limiting themselves to 1,200 cruise guests per day.

It's kind of out of Royal's hands.  

They may be allowed limited in-transit visits which they are probably keeping for the annual Radiance class transpacs but who knows if even those will be allowed.  I'm guessing some of those may skip Bora Bora as well.

I'm guessing that Royal decided to not include Bora Bora so that they wouldn't have to later alter the itinerary to skip Bora Bora based on the cruise ship size ban there.

Too much uncertainty putting Bora Bora on any new itinerary in 2023-2024 and beyond.

Bora Bora off limits

Also in 2019 the municipality of Bora Bora expressed concerns about the size of visiting cruise ships. After discussions with the municipality, now only 1,200 cruise passengers per day can visit. Tahiti Tourisme have told us it shows a desire to preserve the beauty of its lagoon as well as the quality of service for which Bora Bora has become famous.

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/tahiti-ban-large-cruise-ships/

According to the Presidency of French Polynesia, this positioning is the result of its vision of sustainable and inclusive development integrated into the 2021-2023 recovery plan for the destination as well as in the tourism development strategy, “Fari’ira’a Manihini 2025.”

https://openjaw.com/newsroom/cruise/2021/09/24/tahiti-to-limit-cruise-ships-in-2022-to-prevent-overcrowding/

23 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Serious question, does anyone know how to fill prescription overseas? I'm not able to get a year's supply before leaving only 3 months. 

It is different in every country, but you don't need prescriptions in a lot of places.  You would want to do a little research and make plans to get refills in certain places. 

You could also try to get enough before you leave to cover the whole thing.  Insurance usually doesn't allow for this, but unless it is a controlled substance, Dr's should be able to write scrips for that long.  You may have to pay for it out of pocket.

Even with time(work) and money taken out of the equation....it would still be a no for me. I couldn't be away for my family for that long. My fur baby would forget about me. Plus I would be bored out of my mind. The serenade is old, I doubt I would be able to stream much, plus the lack of being able to cook any of my own meals would drive me crazy. If you don't go alone, that is 274 days stuck with a person you would normally get breaks from. Lastly, I feel like I could potentially see the world in a better manner for cheaper.

4 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

It is different in every country, but you don't need prescriptions in a lot of places.  You would want to do a little research and make plans to get refills in certain places. 

You could also try to get enough before you leave to cover the whole thing.  Insurance usually doesn't allow for this, but unless it is a controlled substance, Dr's should be able to write scrips for that long.  You may have to pay for it out of pocket

This would be a good service for the ships doctor to offer during the cruise. If everyone put in their prescription needs in advance - the dr could find ways to obtain them.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm not sure how you could do it cheaper.  Even in a suite you're paying just over $400 per day. 

I was thinking about how you could potentially cut your expenses while you are away.  Turn off cable/internet.  No expenses for gas, groceries, entertainment.  Maybe even turn off cell coverage (and just live on wifi).  If you could rent out your house/condo that would really help.

Pretty much everything on the ship is covered, but you still have shore excursions to worry about - so that would obviously add to the overall cost.

8 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I was thinking about how you could potentially cut your expenses while you are away.  Turn off cable/internet.  No expenses for gas, groceries, entertainment.  Maybe even turn off cell coverage (and just live on wifi).  If you could rent out your house/condo that would really help.

Pretty much everything on the ship is covered, but you still have shore excursions to worry about - so that would obviously add to the overall cost.

But there is some "7 wonder of the world" excursion included.

42 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Yes, pets is going to be a big reason people do not book this cruise.  Its one thing to ask a neighbor to check in on your pets for a week, another to ask them to take them for most of the year.

Just the same, the people who would take this cruise are probably already taking extended vacations and have that covered (or don't have pets for that reason)

2 hours ago, wordell1 said:

At an average of $100 per stop that is $14300 per person 

Unless you go super frugal (in which case why go if you aren’t actually going to explore and see all the sights of the world) I don’t see how you could do this trip for under a quarter million for a couple 😮

28 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Unless you go super frugal (in which case why go if you aren’t actually going to explore and see all the sights of the world) I don’t see how you could do this trip for under a quarter million for a couple 😮

Yeah. I don't think I could do 9 months in an inside cabin. I'd have to at *least* have a window, but ideally a balcony or suite if I'm going to be onboard that long.

5 hours ago, 12thman said:

Serious question, does anyone know how to fill prescription overseas? I'm not able to get a year's supply before leaving only 3 months. 

I was thinking the same thing, would definitely be a headache to deal with. 

The other thing I've been thinking about - dining. I would *hope* that they do some local foods and rotate menus around, as otherwise you're gonna get real sick of eating the same thing week after week.

22 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

I was thinking the same thing, would definitely be a headache to deal with. 

The other thing I've been thinking about - dining. I would *hope* that they do some local foods and rotate menus around, as otherwise you're gonna get real sick of eating the same thing week after week.

If you dig into the FAQs on the Royal Caribbean site, it says they intend to do this with food and entertainment.

14 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

First not all the 150 stops are really ports , some of them is just going near something (I do not really think you are going to a port in Elephant island for example". Second , there are many ports which is easy and even recommended to tour by yourself , for example Singapore , I would buy a prepaid subway card (or a day path for tourist) and go to the Gardens by the bay (free entry) , check the botanical gardens and maybe check the Marina bay sands , all without fee. Mykonos , the ship will tender you to the old port were you can just walk and tour the very nice village. Palma - you pay 8Euro PP for return trip to the city and you can easily tour it without missing anything. For sure there are places which I would prefer to take tours from the ship.