Anyone fly into La Guardia for a Port Liberty, NJ port of departure?

Done

LaGuardia AIrport is located in Queens NY. It is pretty far from port and there will always be a lot of traffic. Being from the area, I try to avoid going to LaGuardia airport. when i fly domestic I usually go to ewr. Internationally i fly JFK. Unfortunately because EWR is a united hub your best bet is to fly united into EWR. Hope that helps. 

May I ask why Southwest is your "best option"? I know there's a million things that go in to choosing air travel from the myriad of options, but "having to fly in to LaGuardia to get to a place near Newark when one of the largest airlines in the world has their largest hub in Newark" would be a count against Southwest being the "best option" in my book. I don't fly United often, but their Newark hub is awfully convenient both to the port and to Manhattan itself. 

Getting most anywhere from Laguardia is a pain. To go from LGA to Cape Liberty would involve either a really expensive taxi or Uber, or multiple modes of transportation with changing in Manhattan and again in NJ. Where are you flying in from? United is the main game at EWR, but most other airlines do fly in, as well (though that requires flying out of Terminal A...which is just criminal).

26 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

If you don't mind me asking what airport are you flying out of?  

We live in Illinois and Midway (MDW) is the closest airport at about an hours drive from our home.  The other factor is we have accumulated many SWA rewards points so we fly using points just paying the taxes out of pocket.  Ohare (ORD) is about 1 3/4  hours drive in normal traffic and if I-294 is congested the trip is closer to 2 hours in duration.  Other airlines fly from Midway so Newark could still be an option, just more cash out of pocket.

4 hours ago, rcrabb said:

Southwest Airline (my best option) no longer services the Newark airport (EWR) and I am curious what is the best way to get from LaGuardia to Port Liberty?  I would imagine a cab would be very expensive.

TIA

We had to fly in a day early. The hotel took us back to LaGuardia and we caught Royal shuttle bus.

21 minutes ago, rcrabb said:

We live in Illinois and Midway (MDW) is the closest airport at about an hours drive from our home.  The other factor is we have accumulated many SWA rewards points so we fly using points just paying the taxes out of pocket.  Ohare (ORD) is about 1 3/4  hours drive in normal traffic and if I-294 is congested the trip is closer to 2 hours in duration.  Other airlines fly from Midway so Newark could still be an option, just more cash out of pocket.

The only other airline flying out of MDW that also serves EWR will require a connection - Delta via Detroit, Atlanta, or Minneapolis. So the 45-60 minutes saved by avoiding ORD would then be eaten up (and then some) on the connection. So that's a poor choice in my book - might as well just get up to ORD and get one of the (more-or-less) hourly United flights ORD-EWR. 

So yeah, if your flights are truly free and you don't mind the time sitting in traffic to get from LGA to New Jersey, it may be worth it. But definitely do some research on costs to see how much of that free flight is then spent on ground transportation, and don't forget to weigh convenience in to that...maybe not a direct expense, but an expense nonetheless in my book.

1 hour ago, Dulis said:

I just checked Uber from LGA to Cape Liberty and it told me it would take about an hour and cost $103 (I looked around 2pm on a Wednesday).  You could call a local car service and see if they would quote you a better price.

It will NOT take an hour.  I work in Queens and live in New Jersey.  Also, a regular Uber probably isn't enough with all of the luggage.  Look up an Uber XL and you'll have a better idea of cost.

15 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

It will NOT take an hour.  I work in Queens and live in New Jersey.  Also, a regular Uber probably isn't enough with all of the luggage.  Look up an Uber XL and you'll have a better idea of cost.

The issue is the inconsistency in my mind. If I get an Uber from Lower Manhattan to Newark, sometimes it's 30 minutes (rare, but it has happened), sometimes it's 60 minutes. And again, that's just from Lower Manhattan, not LGA. It can be the same day of week and time, you just never know and are at the mercy of the lights and the bridges/tunnels. 

9 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

The issue is the inconsistency in my mind. If I get an Uber from Lower Manhattan to Newark, sometimes it's 30 minutes (rare, but it has happened), sometimes it's 60 minutes. And again, that's just from Lower Manhattan, not LGA. It can be the same day of week and time, you just never know and are at the mercy of the lights and the bridges/tunnels. 

It's worse coming from LGA.  Queens can be as bad as Manhattan and LGA is 20-30 minutes out of Manhattan on a good day.

55 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

It's worse coming from LGA.  Queens can be as bad as Manhattan and LGA is 20-30 minutes out of Manhattan on a good day.

I once misconnected flying from Hong Kong to Kansas City via JFK. Cathay Pacific gave me two options - they could put me in a car to Newark and a United flight that night, or overnight be at JFK and put me on the American flight the next day. I definitely decided to just wait the night rather than trudge from JFK to Newark at 4pm on a weekday! 

5 hours ago, rcrabb said:

Whenever I've cruised out of Cape Liberty I've always flown into EWR.  I live in the Chicago born and raised so I'm very familiar with the traffic situation you are describing here in Chicago.  You are 100% right depending on where you live in the Chicagoland region getting to either MDW or ORD is simply not convenient and if there is traffic which now days there always seems to be traffic a hour drive can easily turn into a two hour drive. 

Although I've been to New York City more times than I can count I have never flown into LGA to catch a cruise out of Cape Liberty so I can help you with that or offer any advice on if that option is the lease inconvenient option.  

15 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Whenever I've cruised out of Cape Liberty I've always flown into EWR.  I live in the Chicago born and raised so I'm very familiar with the traffic situation you are describing here in Chicago.  You are 100% right depending on where you live in the Chicagoland region getting to either MDW or ORD is simply not convenient and if there is traffic which now days there always seems to be traffic a hour drive can easily turn into a two hour drive. 

Although I've been to New York City more times than I can count I have never flown into LGA to catch a cruise out of Cape Liberty so I can help you with that or offer any advice on if that option is the lease inconvenient option.  

It's basically a choice on where you want the most inconvenience: Chicago getting to ORD, or NY/NJ getting to Cape Liberty. I personally think LGA to Cape Liberty is worse than most place in Chicago to ORD.

7 hours ago, XtremeGK said:

It's basically a choice on where you want the most inconvenience: Chicago getting to ORD, or NY/NJ getting to Cape Liberty. I personally think LGA to Cape Liberty is worse than most place in Chicago to ORD.

This is an excellent take.  Also, all things being equal, if I have to deal with disruptive traffic/travel, I'd rather do it in an area I am familiar with vs. an area I'm not.