Anyone recently done Magen's Bay on their own

Wilson

I could not find anything on the message board that wasn't several months old. We are in St. Thomas on 11/03 and was considering the ship excursion to Magen's Bay for $43 pp. Does not start until 11:30 and ends at 3 giving us maybe 2.5 hours of beach time. We would prefer to head over in the morning in a taxi, but want to make sure there has been plenty available to take folks back. A few years ago we made arrangements for a taxi to come back and get us. She never returned, but there were some available to take us back. Of course the price was higher than we paid to get there but at least we didn't miss the ship. 

We went to Magens bay this past Wednesday on our cruise. Originally had excursion booked through RC which gave us 2 hrs there. The weather was looking rainy so we cancelled the excursion week before and got a refund. Made a good choice. Turned out to be nice so we ended up getting a taxi there and back. It was $10 pp and there were plenty at the port and at Magens Bay to return. We loved it and wanted to stay even longer! 

I went to Magens both pre-pandemic in August 2019 and post- in August 2021 and both times we had no trouble finding a taxi (aka converted truck/bus) whenever we decided to leave. On both occasions there were about 3 taxis lined up and waiting for return trips. I can also attest to there being no trash (??) anywhere on the beach.. maybe that previous comment was determined from the parking lot/ticket window alone? Keep in mind the beach entry fee is $5 pp once you arrive.