Recent Cruises

So for those of you who have been on cruises since they have been back how has it been?  I am hearing the ships are only operating at 60% capacity. We went on the Oasis before it was amplified and really enjoyed ourselves.  We are going on the Independence on November 1st and really looking forward to our vacation.  Any advice on things to do or not do?

It was amazing!!! You will never experience a more relaxing cruise. I'm soo glad we decided to cruise during this time. It doesn't matter what you are doing plenty of room so no need to rush to find a spot. We went on Mariner of the Seas October 8, 2021. The ship only had 1,600 passengers on board versus the limit of 3,000. We were extremely lucky because we were the only ship at Perfect day. 

Lots of live blogs from people who have been on cruises lately in the "Live Blog" section.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/forum/11-live-blogs/

@Matt has also written numerous articles about his trips on the main page, https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/, and has posted several videos on YouTube about cruising since the restart.

We just got back from our Symphony cruise 2 weeks ago.   It was amazing!   

Probably closer to 50% capacity for our sailing.

Most places on the ship were open but sometimes operating on a limited schedule (Windjammer, Park Cafe, etc).

Crew was fantastic.  

Bring your masks.

I was on Adventure in August out of the Bahamas-my 18 and 20 year old loved it because they could drink with their older siblings.  Then I was on Oasis the end of September alone.  Loved both cruises.  No crowds, no wait for elevators, no lines to get into the dining room, photos-short lines, etc.  it’s been so stress free without the crowds.  

Oasis out of Port Liberty seems to be slowly ramping up capacity. On my Sept cruises the count was about 2000 the first cruise, then about 2500 the following cruise. On this cruise (Oct 17) the count is a little over 3100.

I did notice a few changes since my last cruise. In Johnny Rockets, they have just received new protocols allowing them to put the napkin dispensers and ketchup bottles back on the tables. They have also added a few more outdoor tables, decreasing the spacing. I haven’t been in other restaurants yet…but I will be!

Also…in the Cruise Compass…tonight (day 2) is listed as ‘Formal Night’. No longer is it ‘Wear Your Best’.
It reads ‘Make it a night out in your best black-tie look - suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns are welcomed.’

Hopefully we keep heading in the right direction as we get closer to being back to normal cruising. Every little bit helps, in my opinion.🤞

Recently back from B2B on Oasis.  We were told about 2,600 passengers on first leg and 2,800 on second, crew was about 70%.   

Embark and disembark was good. 

Crew was great. 

The food was not as good before, especially in the specialty restaurants.  We ate at Chops, 150 and Izumi.  The quality of the food was no different than the Coastal Kitchen.  The filet from Chops and fried pork belly from 150 were pretty much identical to ones at Costal Kitchen.  Portside BBQ was the most disappointing.  Everything was extremely salty.  

Getting on and off at the ports was a breeze.  We never saw a line at the gangway.  

Cococay was great.  No crowds.  Plenty of available beach recliners and no lines at the buffet.  

A couple of sea days were rougher than they had to be and the ship was occasionally uncomfortably warm.  Probably reduced use of stabilizers and cooling to cut down energy consumption.  

Overall a good experience and a good start to sailing again.  Will be on the Anthem next month and expect there will be improvements as capacity continues to increase.