Specialty And A Large Family

starbrat

My family and I booked Star class for Oasis in April. This will be our first time cruising with Royal as well as Star Class. I recently surprised my brother in law and his family, my mother in law, as well as Hubby’s best friend. I paid everyone’s cruise fair. They all have balcony rooms and will love it! We have a total of 10 (possibly 12 head nurse won’t know if she can get time off till January) 

Here is my question.  I know Star class is unlimited specialty dining. Booking balcony I know my inlaws and family friends will not have it. I am currently looking at the dining packages for everyone. Will the specialty dining rooms have room to accommodate a party of 12? I would love to keep us all together for dinners. 

If we do end up in the MDR will our genie help put us all together? 

16 minutes ago, starbrat said:

My family and I booked Star class for Oasis in April. This will be our first time cruising with Royal as well as Star Class. I recently surprised my brother in law and his family, my mother in law, as well as Hubby’s best friend. I paid everyone’s cruise fair. They all have balcony rooms and will love it! We have a total of 10 (possibly 12 head nurse won’t know if she can get time off till January) 

Here is my question.  I know Star class is unlimited specialty dining. Booking balcony I know my inlaws and family friends will not have it. I am currently looking at the dining packages for everyone. Will the specialty dining rooms have room to accommodate a party of 12? I would love to keep us all together for dinners. 

I've definitely seen large parties of 8+ in the MDR, so I wouldn't imagine there'd be any issues getting a party of 12 accomodated in there. No clue on specialty restaurants though - some of the venues honestly don't look big enough to have a 12 top table set up, honestly. 

Absolutely the Genie will help you.  They may have to break your large party into 2 tables of 6 but chances are they will be able to accommodate everyone at one table with the Genies help.

Also keep in mind that even though you envision everyone together at one (or 2) table at the same time, the chances are pretty good that someone (or 2 or 5) will have other plans. Trust me on this one.  I have been “in charge” of waaaytooo many group cruises and there will always be someone who has something else to do.  The term “herding cats” comes to mind.  

Personally, I would probably not purchase UDP for the entire group unless you are just feeling particularly generous.  While you would love to have dinners together with everyone, you should (MO) give everyone the freedom to choose what they want to do and for some, that means grabbing something from the WJ or Sorrentos and moving on.  Some may not be into the long, protracted meals that are inevitable with big group specialty dining (or even MDR dining, for that matter).  I would really hate for you to “waste” your money on specialty dining that is skipped.

Anyway….the Genie will help you coordinate whatever you want to do.  This will prove extremely helpful.  Trust me….and enjoy !

53 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Absolutely the Genie will help you.  They may have to break your large party into 2 tables of 6 but chances are they will be able to accommodate everyone at one table with the Genies help.

Also keep in mind that even though you envision everyone together at one (or 2) table at the same time, the chances are pretty good that someone (or 2 or 5) will have other plans. Trust me on this one.  I have been “in charge” of waaaytooo many group cruises and there will always be someone who has something else to do.  The term “herding cats” comes to mind.  

Personally, I would probably not purchase UDP for the entire group unless you are just feeling particularly generous.  While you would love to have dinners together with everyone, you should (MO) give everyone the freedom to choose what they want to do and for some, that means grabbing something from the WJ or Sorrentos and moving on.  Some may not be into the long, protracted meals that are inevitable with big group specialty dining (or even MDR dining, for that matter).  I would really hated for you to “waste” your money on specialty dining that is skipped.

Anyway….the Genie will help you coordinate whatever you want to do.  This will prove extremely helpful.  Trust me….and enjoy !

Thank you soo much for the insight. I’m holding off on buying specialty dining packages. I def don’t want the teenagers bored out of their minds at giovanies etc etc. The teenagers are picky and limited menu spells someone not getting what they want. @WAAAYTOOO you are such a blessing to the message boards. 🙏🏻

9 hours ago, starbrat said:

we had a group of 12 once and in the MDR they gave us 2 tables of 6, next to each other.  You can't converse with half the table anyway if you have 1 big table.  It worked out really good.  We would rotate the seats each dinner so we had different people to talk to, although we still could talk to the other table if need be.