Dining and The (New) Key

IRMO12HD

I'm going to try to ask this through Royal, but just in case anyone has experienced this and would care to impart their experience . . .

I have The Key for my upcoming sailing on Freedom 29 Nov - 3 Dec.  I did receive the email detailing the changes, and am happy with them, especially since the price I paid for The Key was $1/day less than the Voom-1Device.  One of the changes involves the deletion of the Chops Grill in the MDR Embarkation Lunch.  In its place is the fee-free room service, and the offer of 25% off specialty dining.  I'm wondering if that will apply to booking dining through the Cruise Planner, or if it's only once I board.  I imagine it will be the latter, but am curious to find out if anyone has first-hand knowledge.

I don't have firsthand knowledge but I know the Cruise Planner has no way to recognize you have purchased The Key when making other dining purchases. Trust me, their site is NOT that sophisticated. Plus with being able to cancel Cruise Planner purchases up to 72 hours before sailing, it would potentially be a mess if they did.  Make sure whenever you are using the discount onboard that you remind them to apply it. This is a relatively new change and they likely will not be used to it! If it gets missed onboard you can go to Guest Services and take care of it but it's always easiest if you can get them to charge it correctly in the first place!

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I don't have firsthand knowledge but I know the Cruise Planner has no way to recognize you have purchased The Key when making other dining purchases. Trust me, their site is NOT that sophisticated. Plus with being able to cancel Cruise Planner purchases up to 72 hours before sailing, it would potentially be a mess if they did.  Make sure whenever you are using the discount onboard that you remind them to apply it. This is a relatively new change and they likely will not be used to it! If it gets missed onboard you can go to Guest Services and take care of it but it's always easiest if you can get them to charge it correctly in the first place!

Thanks for the advice, @AshleyDillo.  I have already purchased the Sushi and Sake lunch on Cruise Planner, and think I'll just hang onto that -- although maybe I'll cancel it and hope for a better deal onboard.

• 4 weeks later...

Updates to the Key Program!

Just got this today -- it looks like hanging on to The Key was the right move for me -- hope it helps others who are considering it.  This is on my 4-Night Freedom sailing at the end of November:

Dear Guest,

We're excited to share that our Welcome Lunch, featuring Chops Grille has been brought back to The Key! We hope you look forward to enjoying your exclusive lunch which will take place in the Main Dining Room between 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM! Additionally, as we previously shared, you'll receive a 25% discount for onboard dining purchases, plus complimentary room service! And, our private debarkation á la carte breakfast is back, replacing the "grab and go" breakfast option. Now, enjoy a more relaxed breakfast experience before heading off the ship.

Here's what you can expect on your upcoming sailing:

• Early access at the terminal.*
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 3 by 2:00 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu (open from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM). We recommend arriving to the terminal no later than 11:30 AM for you to have enough time to enjoy lunch with us!
  • Complimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases!
  • Private time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc.
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports.
  • Early access at shows in the Main Theater on Deck 4, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!
  • VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy a private á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*Please arrive at the terminal between 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM. If you are not able to make the early access window, you should arrive within your appointment time and will receive priority access into the terminal.

Lastly, when you arrive to the port for your sailing, please locate The Key signage for priority access into the terminal and make your way onto the ship.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Freedom of the Seas in the coming days!

omplimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases!

I did not see that listed when I was checking out what the key comes with. Either the Jewel does not have that extra feature or they have not updated it yet on their website.

7 hours ago, ditty said:

What is the Key and why purchase it?

@dittyBy now I'm sure you've had a chance to see @SpeedNoodles's link.  You can also get an understanding of what it will be by looking in your Cruise Planner (assuming you've booked a cruise) or by looking at the Royal Caribbean FAQs (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-can-i-purchase-the-key and https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-key-program).  Bear in mind that what is offered on one ship, or on one sailing, may differ from another, especially with current and future COVID-19 protocols.

As to "Why purchase it?"; here are my suggestions:

Consider purchasing The Key if:

1. you only have one or two people in your cabin AND

2. you haven't achieved the higher tiers of Crown and Anchor Society (say, Diamond) AND

3. you plan on purchasing the VOOM Internet package AND

4. the cost per day per person doesn't exceed the going rate for Voom 1-Device + $5 (or so).

I use the AND qualifier because in my view, the other benefits besides the Voom total about $35 per person -- the Chops Grille lunch,  the Disembarkation breakfast, and the (possible) early boarding and reserved seating at shows.  For a 7-night cruise, that would be about $35 over the cost of what you'd pay for Voom (per person), so it would be more beneficial to purchase The Key.  This is just my thinking, of course.  I would recommend reviewing the benefits of The Key and determine what they are worth to you.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:07 PM, IRMO12HD said:

Just got this today -- it looks like hanging on to The Key was the right move for me -- hope it helps others who are considering it.  This is on my 4-Night Freedom sailing at the end of November:

Dear Guest,

We're excited to share that our Welcome Lunch, featuring Chops Grille has been brought back to The Key! We hope you look forward to enjoying your exclusive lunch which will take place in the Main Dining Room between 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM! Additionally, as we previously shared, you'll receive a 25% discount for onboard dining purchases, plus complimentary room service! And, our private debarkation á la carte breakfast is back, replacing the "grab and go" breakfast option. Now, enjoy a more relaxed breakfast experience before heading off the ship.

• Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 3 by 2:00 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu (open from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM). We recommend arriving to the terminal no later than 11:30 AM for you to have enough time to enjoy lunch with us!
  • Complimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases!
  • Private time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc.
  • Early access at shows in the Main Theater on Deck 4, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!
  • VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy a private á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*Please arrive at the terminal between 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM. If you are not able to make the early access window, you should arrive within your appointment time and will receive priority access into the terminal.

Lastly, when you arrive to the port for your sailing, please locate The Key signage for priority access into the terminal and make your way onto the ship.

What is your sail date? I have The Key for a Dec 5 departure on Harmony and this would be great!

On 11/11/2021 at 9:07 PM, IRMO12HD said:

Dear Guest,

What date/port are you sailing from? . As I am sailing January 23 and the information about the Key does not list the room service or discount to dining purchases.

2 hours ago, Jakejosa said:

What is your sail date? I have The Key for a Dec 5 departure on Harmony and this would be great!

I'm on Freedom 29 November (4-Night Nassau and Perfect Day).  If it's available on your Harmony sailing, you'll find it on Cruise Planner on the Internet and More tab.

1 hour ago, Strife said:

What date/port are you sailing from? . As I am sailing January 23 and the information about the Key does not list the room service or discount to dining purchases.

I think that as RCL increases capacity, they may be changing The Key to fit the situation.  In my case, I purchased The Key for my 4-Night Freedom OTS sailing back (out of Miami 20 Nov - 3 Dec) in August.  It has gone through several changes since then (dropped Chops lunch, dropped disembarkation breakfast, added free room service, added discount on specialty dining, limited priority boarding to within stated port arrival check in time, added Chops lunch back . . . you get the idea!), and I think they've adjusted it based on when it was originally purchased.  I would assume at this point what you see on Cruise Planner is what you're going to get.

1 hour ago, IRMO12HD said:

I'm on Freedom 29 November (4-Night Nassau and Perfect Day).  If it's available on your Harmony sailing, you'll find it on Cruise Planner on the Internet and More tab.

I got a letter with the "changes" to The Key a while back (no embarkation lunch, free room service),hopefully RC will add the lunch and breakfast back for this sailing as well. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

On the Anthem…the free room service and 25% dining discount no longer appears as a benefit. That’s too bad as I was depending on that instead of MyTime dining, which still starts at 6:45pm…too late for me. But Chops lunch is back in the MDR and it was delicious as usual.
Also, the early Royal Theater access sounds good, but I have yet to see that in place. In fact, on all of my Oasis and Anthem cruises since the restart…there has been no early access to the theater for anyone; Key or suites…even though that’s listed as a perk for both. Anybody outside the theater when the doors open (usually 45 minutes early) are welcomed…as long as they have a reservation. The only priority service for the shows is that provided to Star guests by their Genies, which is the reserved seating.

31 minutes ago, BrianB said:

the early Royal Theater access sounds good, but I have yet to see that in place. In fact, on all of my Oasis and Anthem cruises since the restart…there has been no early access to the theater for anyone; Key or suites…even though that’s listed as a perk for both. Anybody outside the theater when the doors open (usually 45 minutes early) are welcomed…as long as they have a reservation. The only priority service for the shows is that provided to Star guests by their Genies, which is the reserved seating.

WOW.  That's a real disappointment.  They should just reinstate the reserved section and be done with it.  Arriving 45 minutes early defeats the entire prospect of priority seating.

16 hours ago, Va4fam said:

For my Anthem cruise, looks like we still get the following:

Early Boarding

Chops lunch in dining room

Carry on bags delivered to our room

Surf and stream internet

Priority tender boarding/activities/ and entertainment

Departure breakfast

No longer included-25% off dining and free room service.

Yes, I’m on the Anthem now with the Key. No more room service or dining discount. I saw the Key sign at the terminal entrance on boarding day but it wasn’t needed as there was no line when I arrived and we were just waved in. I didn’t see a dedicated Key check-in kiosk, also because there were no lines and no waiting. They do have Key times for the Flow Rider and the Rock Wall but that’s all. Not Northstar or iFly. Carry on drop off and delivery was fine…and Chops lunch in the MDR was great. Served from noon to 1:30. Priority entrance to the entertainment venues doesn’t happen. The letter says arrive 45 minutes before showtime for early admission but the door open 45 minutes early and they admit anyone with a reservation. Suites also has the early admission perk listed but…no. First come, first entry. WiFi is for one device, but you can switch back and forth between as many devices as you want…just one can be online at a time. I haven’t been to any port that used tenders. Finally, I don’t know about priority walk-off like the Key had pre-pandemic…but the breakfast and choice departure are back. Much better than the grab-and-go bag. 
I know things change from ship to ship and port to port but this is just the Anthem out of Bayonne. Also, as time goes on things will change. For instance, on this cruise…they removed the ‘reserved for physical distancing’ covers from the second row seats in the Royal Theater. And more self serve features are back…such as coffee service in Cafe Promenade. Let’s hope we keep moving forward with #TheRoyalComeback!