We are paying for our son's buddy to cruise with us. How to get trip insurance for "the buddy"?

Next summer, we are headed back to Alaska on Radiance OS, spending almost a week before in the Anchorage and Seward area fishing. My son is bringing along his buddy, (let's call him DB). The three of us, DS, DH, and I, are covered by our travel insurance policy. I don't know how to get DB covered for the cruise, though. We are paying for all of his expenses except for the air travel to ANC and from YVR. His mom purchased travel insurance for the airfare since she purchased the airfare. However, how can we ensure that he is covered should something unexpected happen (I'm thinking medical emergency/evacuation) DURING THE CRUISE? Or can we? Our travel insurance company says that he cannot be covered since he doesn't live in the same household as the rest of us. To add another nuance to this, he is also unvaccinated and will remain unvaccinated, which could preclude him from the cruise, anyway. I am prepared for that scenario. It is the unexpected medical portion that gives me pause. Does anyone have any ideas on this? @Sharla

4 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Next summer, we are headed back to Alaska on Radiance OS, spending almost a week before in the Anchorage and Seward area fishing. My son is bringing along his buddy, (let's call him DB). The three of us, DS, DH, and I, are covered by our travel insurance policy. I don't know how to get DB covered for the cruise, though. We are paying for all of his expenses except for the air travel to ANC and from YVR. His mom purchased travel insurance for the airfare since she purchased the airfare. However, how can we ensure that he is covered should something unexpected happen (I'm thinking medical emergency/evacuation) DURING THE CRUISE? Or can we? Our travel insurance company says that he cannot be covered since he doesn't live in the same household as the rest of us. To add another nuance to this, he is also unvaccinated and will remain unvaccinated, which could preclude him from the cruise, anyway. I am prepared for that scenario. It is the unexpected medical portion that gives me pause. Does anyone have any ideas on this? @Sharla

Yep, talk to your agent.  

I'm not sure this type of request can be handled online.  

Do I bother with trip insurance from RC (after full payment) while the Cruise Confidence program is still good?

Since we are allowed to cancel within 2 days of the trip and if we have covid we get a full refund, I don't see any other reason to get this. 

2 minutes ago, D Alt said:

Do I bother with trip insurance from RC (after full payment) while the Cruise Confidence program is still good?

Since we are allowed to cancel within 2 days of the trip and if we have covid we get a full refund, I don't see any other reason to get this. 

I'd point out travel insurance covers many other things besides Covid.

7 minutes ago, teddy said:

My "A-HA!!!" moment was watching someone get medevac'd from Haiti.

We were late leaving Juneau last time we were in port due to someone (and their family) debarking and leaving in an ambulance. I wondered how much that trip, hospitalization, and a further trip to the lower 48 (assuming) would cost and if they had trip insurance to cover that (excursion).

39 minutes ago, teddy said:

My "A-HA!!!" moment was watching someone get medevac'd from Haiti.

Last few cruises I've seen people disembark via ambulance. If I recall you were on Adventure with me back in September ... I believe the port was Cozumel, but the ship across the way had an ambulance pulled up along side. I saw it from the pool deck.

Edit: add picture, it was Cozumel. 

PXL_20210909_210119013.jpg

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Add picture