On board availability when UDP was sold out

Marlena

1 hour ago, TB2021 said:

I don’t underhand how the UDP is sold out but yet I can book individual reservations at any restaurant every night through cruise planner. 

Three reasons come to mind.  First, individual reservations cost more which means they make more money with them.  So they are going to set a limit on how many UDPs they sell.  Second, there is a limit to how many total specialty reservations are available each day and it is FAR less than the number of people on the ship.  Every purchase of the UDP takes let's say 10 reservations off that total (for a 7 night cruise).  Sure the big ships have more specialty restaurants but they still don't have enough capacity for everyone to dine that way for every meal.  Finally, they need to hold back a percentage of the reservations for on board purchases (both individual and UDP).  A surprising number of people book their cruise but nothing else in advance.  I say surprising because it seems like everyone on the forums pre-books everything.  That's because the people that research cruises and are active on forums tend to know WAY more than the average cruiser.

On 10/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, Marlena said:

For those whose had the UDP sold out in the cruise planner, did they notice if it was offered on Day 1 of the sailing?

Bonus points if anyone has the price it was offered for! Lol

Keep an eye on the cruise planner.  UDP was available early last week, disappeared at the end of last week and when I checked it was back again today.  I had purchased the 3 day plan and canceled it for a refund and purchased the UDP instead.