Nov 15th Odyssey cruise still heading to Labadee

I am on the November 15th cruise of Odyssey of the seas and we still have not gotten any letter or notification that our port of call to Labadee has changed. The cruise is 31 days out and I have seen cruises in December get another sea day or port day and not go to Labadee. I am not sure why RC is dragging their feet in sending us notification that we will get another sea day or port day. It is only a 5 night cruise so we only had 2 stops, Coco Cay and Labadee, so I am wondering if they are trying to find another port, heck I would be happy with 2 Coco Cay stops.

4 hours ago, Justwanttocruise said:

I am on the November 15th cruise of Odyssey of the seas and we still have not gotten any letter or notification that our port of call to Labadee has changed. The cruise is 31 days out and I have seen cruises in December get another sea day or port day and not go to Labadee. I am not sure why RC is dragging their feet in sending us notification that we will get another sea day or port day. It is only a 5 night cruise so we only had 2 stops, Coco Cay and Labadee, so I am wondering if they are trying to find another port, heck I would be happy with 2 Coco Cay stops.

These are all of my questions! I have been hoping the delay is because of difficulty in securing alternate ports.

I received this from RC regarding my Nov 28th cruise on Harmony:

"Itinerary Change

As part of the guidance received from the CDC, we've implemented new boarding and arrival protocols and as a result, we'll need some extra time for check-in. We'll now depart from Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida at 5:00 PM, instead of 4:30 PM. Separately, to maintain your safety and wellbeing, we'll visit Cozumel, Mexico instead of Labadee due to the current political and security situation in Haiti. Regrettably, this impacts our visit to Falmouth, Jamaica because of its distance from Mexico. Instead, we'll visit Costa Maya, Mexico and we've swapped the order we'll visit our private destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay and Nassau, Bahamas. We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation, and we're sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. We're excited to take you to new ports and know you'll have an excellent time! Below, please find our revised Harmony of the Seas November 28th, 2021 itinerary."

So I find it unlikely your cruise 2 weeks earlier will still sail to Labadee.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm on the same sailing and don't have an answer.

Matt, 

Now that you’ve sailed odyssey, is harmony still your favorite ship in the fleet and if so why? My wife and I did symphony which blew our minds and we have odyssey coming up in December. I’m just curious what an expert thinks. Thanks and sorry to hijack thread 

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I wonder at what point do people get Coco Cay and Cozumel overload.

I agree. We almost never get off in Coz anymore but I love staying on the ship when it’s in port so I’m good with it.  I think the same will happen with PDCC unless we have a cabana or the Beach Club reserved and even that will only last so long.

17 hours ago, GatorCruiser said:

Matt, 

Now that you’ve sailed odyssey, is harmony still your favorite ship in the fleet and if so why? My wife and I did symphony which blew our minds and we have odyssey coming up in December. I’m just curious what an expert thinks. Thanks and sorry to hijack thread 

I'm going back on Odyssey next month to see where it stacks back up. Odyssey was indeed very impressive.

4 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I called Royal this morning, asking why Labadee was still on my itinerary for the Odyssey November 15th.  The answer was, "Yes, it's still there."   No amount of pursuing my inquiry could change the answer -  "Labadee is still in your itinerary."

The people who answer the phones are likely the last to know of a change related to an itinerary. With Royal, the answer is the answer until it's not.

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

That in and of itself shouldn't promote change, but the fact that hundreds have been kidnapped in Haiti (granted, far from Labadee) should give pause.

If anything RC will have to find a way to really ramp up security when they do return to Labadee, even if there is no real threat to the resort area.

I realize that Labadee is an isolated portion of Haiti, but there is a vast difference between security to prevent petty crime/pick pocketing and security to prevent kidnapping/violence.  I don’t feel comfortable being there in it’s current state.  Not to mention there needs to be a reliable staff and with their country in chaos, that seems challenging as well. 

The strange think is they say it’s because of the level 4 warning out out by the state department that these cruises have been change.  If you check out the state department every island in the Caribbean has a level 4 warning attached to it.  Including Puerto Rico which also hasn’t been changed in anyone itinerary.  In addition there are still traveling that are supposed to be traveling to grand cayman   Yet grand cayman has had a ban against cruise ships since the summer and the cabinet ministry just extended the ban well into next year. But RCL still says we are going there.   

54 minutes ago, GlassSlipper said:

I realize that Labadee is an isolated portion of Haiti, but there is a vast difference between security to prevent petty crime/pick pocketing and security to prevent kidnapping/violence.  I don’t feel comfortable being there in it’s current state.  Not to mention there needs to be a reliable staff and with their country in chaos, that seems challenging as well. 

I think the closures all started with just logistical difficulty of getting Labadee staff vaccinated. That's all been compounded by all the other stuff going on. And with the political unrest, that safety fear (even though safety concerns are probably overstated due to its location) isn't helping things either. 

Received an email regarding the Dec 31st sailing aboard the Anthem....

To maintain your safety and wellbeing, we’ll no longer visit Labadee due to the current political and security situation in Haiti, so instead, we’ll visit Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. As a result of this change, we’ve adjusted the time we’ll spend in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Not unexpected...

On 10/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, smokeybandit said:

I think the closures all started with just logistical difficulty of getting Labadee staff vaccinated. That's all been compounded by all the other stuff going on. And with the political unrest, that safety fear (even though safety concerns are probably overstated due to its location) isn't helping things either. 

easy cure, put vaccine on board a ship and tell the staff take the shot or don't enter the compound.  easy peazy for a big company like Royal.

fence or security will have a talk with you

don't know about any of you , but I've walked the compound line at Labadee, huge fence security everywhere, cameras, monitored, don't get to close to the fence line.

Safest place in Hati for an American, it's all about insurance coverage for Royal

22 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I do hope they go back in 2022...I know things are crazy but I hope they don't make an executive (read: financial) decision to stop going altogether....I really like Labadee and I felt good knowing that the private section was helping some of the locals too....

They'll be back.  They need every Oasis capable port they can find.  Too much invested there.   

On the website, the 11/15 Odyssey sailing lists this itinerary: Fort Lauderdale, Florida | Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas | Cruising | Nassau, Bahamas | Cruising | Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  I'm scheduled for Labadee in May 2022, so hoping things are resolved by then.

3 hours ago, THinPH said:

On the website, the 11/15 Odyssey sailing lists this itinerary: Fort Lauderdale, Florida | Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas | Cruising | Nassau, Bahamas | Cruising | Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  I'm scheduled for Labadee in May 2022, so hoping things are resolved by then.

Wouldn't have my hopes up. I'm expecting it to be on Q3/Q4 2023 itineraries, but can't say I'm hopeful it'll actually stop then either. Haiti is a mess right now, and I'm not sure fresh elections -- which have been postponed again -- will quell things much, if at all.