Airline walkouts?!?!

DuaneG

27 minutes ago, DuaneG said:

With the recent news of airline walkouts I am starting to get concerned over my travel plans and others travel plans to get to ports to go on cruises. Hope this gets ironed out quickly. We cruise in 45 days and are flying American and they just walked out!

I can't find anything about a walkout at American. They cancelled over 800 flights today because of the severe weather in Texas. 

7 hours ago, DuaneG said:

This is all about the vaccine mandate and it is about to get seriously worse.

That is not true

From Associated Press: Unsupported ‘sickout’ claims take flight amid Southwest woes

When Southwest Airlines canceled more than 2,000 flights over the weekend, citing bad weather and air traffic control issues, unsupported claims blaming vaccine mandates began taking off.

Conservative politicians and pundits, including Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, alleged the flight disruptions resulted from pilots and air traffic controllers walking off their jobs or calling in sick to protest federal vaccination requirements.

The airline, its pilots’ union and the Federal Aviation Administration denied that.

“The weekend challenges were not a result of Southwest employee demonstrations,” Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said Monday.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That is not true

From Associated Press: Unsupported ‘sickout’ claims take flight amid Southwest woes

Do you think the Airline unions would admit to an illegal work action? Is it just a coincidence that the Airlines that have a Dec 8 vaccine deadline because they are consider government contractors all of a sudden have a huge cancellation issue? It wasnt weather for Southwest because other airlines didnt experience it. 

Time will tell what is the true cause but to dismiss this off hand is not wise nor is it a given. I would be VERY concerned if I had an upcoming flight to make a Cruise and would be looking for other travel alternatives.

LETS GO BRANDON!!!!!

37 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Do you think the Airline unions would admit to an illegal work action? Is it just a coincidence that the Airlines that have a Dec 8 vaccine deadline because they are consider government contractors all of a sudden have a huge cancellation issue? It wasnt weather for Southwest because other airlines didnt experience it. 

Time will tell what is the true cause but to dismiss this off hand is not wise nor is it a given. I would be VERY concerned if I had an upcoming flight to make a Cruise and would be looking for other travel alternatives.

LETS GO BRANDON!!!!!

Uh oh...here comes an @Matt lock down! 😉

6 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

Given that the union leaders are usually the ones supporting and organizing sick-outs and protests... yes?

But there are rules that dictate what they can and cannot do and union contracts with the airlines. 

If this was not a Union initiated action that violated their contracts then of course they would not admit it. 

What do you think the plausible explanation for what we saw with Southwest and now other airlines? And United is prepared to fire 232 employees over vaccine mandate

Do you think this all is an incredible coincidence?

46 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

I'd agree if the pilot's union wasn't also calling it unfounded. Usually the union will go along with the "blue flu" statements when the cops do it.

The Unions (at least, Southwest Airlines Pilot Association (SWAPA)) are having to deny that their members are on a "sick out".  They are forbidden from taking job action to resolve labor disputes.  Now American is joining in.  It's going to get worse before it gets better unless the vaccine mandates are withdrawn.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The Unions (at least, Southwest Airlines Pilot Association (SWAPA)) are having to deny that their members are on a "sick out".  They are forbidden from taking job action to resolve labor disputes.  Now American is joining in.  It's going to get worse before it gets better unless the vaccine mandates are withdrawn.

Although we generally drive to cruise ports nearby for cruising, other travel plans usually have us flying SW.  If I trust these professionals in the air with my life and safety, I can certainly trust them to make a personal health decision for themselves.

On a positive related note, I had a SW flight this weekend that was a casualty of this. Fortunately I was already on the getting home leg of my travel.  I was able to self-book on a flight 12 hours later through the SW app and made it home. I have an annual travel insurance policy which covered the extra rental car charges and meals. SW just sent me an unsolicited voucher for $100 as an apology. My original flight was only $59. 

One of my traveling companions had rebooked on a different airline and received an unsolicited $250 voucher.  And one had actually contacted SW to compliment how easy it was to rebook and that the flight attendants and gate agents we dealt with were still pleasant despite the circumstances and she got a $150 voucher. So it looks like they're trying to at least make it right and be more in line with the customer service levels that they used to be associated with.

49 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Do you think this all is an incredible coincidence?

Yes, the pilots said so via the union. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your personal opinion, but it's the truth. Not sure who else needs to say the same thing before you believe it.

And since this thread has gone down the covid conspiracy path, it's now locked. Keep the political discussions and opinions out of this site. Thank you.

• Matt locked this topic