Weather This Week in Caribbean Looks: Bleh!

CJS2766

So, after forever, we are excited to FINALLY board the Symphony this Saturday. I just took a look at the forecast and it does not look the best. I understand that rain is the norm in the Caribbean as we have cruised it many times before and had the occasional rain shower. We have always been lucky with good weather.

My question to you all is? If it ends up being a rain all day at one of our stops, what do you all suggest is worth doing? We had beach days planned for Roatan and Cozumel and Costa Maya. I assume we could get refunds if it ends up being a rainy day. I'm just wondering what is there to do if we don't get a nice warm sunny day?

Thanks all!

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

Weather forecasting in the islands is always problematic.  So hard to tell where a system heads a week away.  

I've had similar dreadful cruise forecasts that didn't come out nearly as badly as it looked.

Thank you for the optimism! I want nice weather, otherwise if it rains, that means I'll have to follow my wife shopping instead! 🤣🤣🤣

The same thing happened with us - we had rain forecasted for almost every day, and even in our day in Cozumel the captain said we had a good chance of rain for a good part of the day. 

The weather wound up being lovely, and any rain we did see was short lived and very early in the morning. Even if it does rain, a rainy day at sea is better than a day at work on land! Plus, on a ship like the Symphony there is still lots to do. 

Remember that the islands and Caribbean always seem to have showers/rain in the forecast each day.  We were on Symphony 2 weeks ago and there were 2 hurricanes headed our way when we boarded.  The weather was stormy leaving Miami and rained when we got back.  Otherwise, blue skies and smooth seas.   

Hopefully your weather will cooperate too.

2 hours ago, Marlena said:

If you don't mind...after boarding do you mind letting us know if flight is back and running? Maybe a pic of entertainment scedule?

Have a great trip! Its a great ship

I'm pretty sure it wasn't running  during our trip 2 weeks ago. 

Looks like rain for at least the first leg of my B2B, honestly don't care that much if it is though because I will be under the water ASAP.  Then the only thing I care about is lightning strikes...

And while on the ship the only thing I care about is a little bit of walking around here and there and not getting soaked all the time which should be mostly doable.  And again the only thing I really worry about is lightning strikes.  Personally I will hit the solarium hot tub and chill a lot of the time.

Question - if it is raining/thunderstorms in CocoCay, is the Thrill Waterpark closed? I saw the weather provision under the hot air balloon attraction but nothing under the waterpark. Asking as the language for cancellation under T&Cs notes that you can cancel CocoCay excursions up to 48 hours ahead of arrival at the port and know that my daughters would see little value in going on waterslides in the rain...

On 10/14/2021 at 7:45 AM, CrusingfromClayton said:

Question - if it is raining/thunderstorms in CocoCay, is the Thrill Waterpark closed? I saw the weather provision under the hot air balloon attraction but nothing under the waterpark. Asking as the language for cancellation under T&Cs notes that you can cancel CocoCay excursions up to 48 hours ahead of arrival at the port and know that my daughters would see little value in going on waterslides in the rain...

I was watching a YouTube video of a recent sailing, and it rained all morning on Coco Cay. RC ended up refunding everyone who purchased admission to the water park. Late in the afternoon the rain stopped and they let anyone who wanted to enter the water park for free. 

3 hours ago, Jennifer Burke said:

Hey Matt. I am going on a Dec cruise. Mexico and Honduras. Is there ever rain or cold weather in December that you can remember? 

I'm not Matt, but I can give a little bit of an answer.  It has been my experience that the long sweeping cold fronts that cross the States in the Winter have pretty long tails that can reach way down into the Western Caribbean.  For instance, three of the roughly 12 times I've done a land vacation in Grand Cayman (not Mexico or Honduras, but close) in Winter, we had a week of cool, cloudy, rainy, windy weather.  Twice, I've seen the main oceanside street through downtown Georgetown closed due to high surf flooding.  Each time it was because of a long cold front in the States.  So will it be cold like in the 30s?  No, but the above description with steady temps in the upper 70s happens fairly often there in Winter.  Having said that, it would not alter my travel plans if I were planning to go there.  There is about an 80%+- chance you will have beautiful weather.

@CrusingfromClayton

We were there in June, they closed down the slides when there was lightening detected within maybe 7? miles of the Island. I believe 7 was the number, maybe someone else can confirm, correct? We had a cabana so we were in the waterpark all day and it did rain a decent amount. Everything remained open during the liquid sunshine, it was the lightening that shut them down BUT as soon as it was out of range everything opened right back up. 

14 hours ago, Jennifer Burke said:

Hey Matt. I am going on a Dec cruise. Mexico and Honduras. Is there ever rain or cold weather in December that you can remember? 

Typically, December is the dry season so rain is not common (but of course, no guarantees).  

In terms of temperature, there is not much of a difference in temps in the tropics between summer and winter, but the humidity may be the biggest change you see. I've found it to be more comfortable to be outside, personally.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Typically, December is the dry season so rain is not common (but of course, no guarantees).  

In terms of temperature, there is not much of a difference in temps in the tropics between summer and winter, but the humidity may be the biggest change you see. I've found it to be more comfortable to be outside, personally.

Great. Thanks so much!