What capacity are ships at now?

DuaneG

Freedom this past weekend had 3,300 guests.  There was definitely more guests on board but 3,300 is still a light load for this class of ship, relatively speaking.  

I rather enjoyed not being the only person in the pub listening to the entertainer.  It was awkward being the only person clapping on other ships.  The ship had more energy and I rather enjoyed it.  

Lines were never too long.  Sorrento's had 3 or 4 people in front of me for the line.  I was always able to sit at the bar in the Pub.  Ice skating show was well attended but not full.

Oasis last week was around 2,800 according to a couple of crew members. The Captain made a comment one evening in the MDR that there was almost a 1:1 crew to passenger ratio on our cruise.

Very few lines. One evening after dinner my wife and I were alone in one of the pools on the pool deck and alone again in one of the hot tubs. I felt bad for the lifeguard... he was pacing back and forth and there was no one in the pool! 

Even on sea days, we never had a problem locating a lounger or table in the solarium or on the pool deck. The only issue at times was the capacity restrictions in the pools (9 on the pool decks and 17 in the solarium pool - not sure why more in the solarium!) and hot tubs (6 for the normal sized hot tubs). Occasionally, they would ask someone to get out of the pool or sit on the ledge.

No lines for any of the activities on our ship... you could walk right up to the Ultimate Abyss, water slides, zip line, etc. The crew was amazing.

11 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

Does this mean the chair hogs are gone?

Oh no.  They just have no impact because there are enough chairs.  It's still funny to be on a near empty ship and see someone putting the effort into hogging a chair at 7am.  A sea of empty loungers and then two hogged.  Like seriously, you went to all that effort?

Old habits die hard. 

9 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Oasis last week was around 2,800 according to a couple of crew members. The Captain made a comment one evening in the MDR that there was almost a 1:1 crew to passenger ratio on our cruise.

Very few lines. One evening after dinner my wife and I were alone in one of the pools on the pool deck and alone again in one of the hot tubs. I felt bad for the lifeguard... he was pacing back and forth and there was no one in the pool! 

Even on sea days, we never had a problem locating a lounger or table in the solarium or on the pool deck. The only issue at times was the capacity restrictions in the pools (9 on the pool decks and 17 in the solarium pool - not sure why more in the solarium!) and hot tubs (6 for the normal sized hot tubs). Occasionally, they would ask someone to get out of the pool or sit on the ledge.

No lines for any of the activities on our ship... you could walk right up to the Ultimate Abyss, water slides, zip line, etc. The crew was amazing.

Going on Oasis in 2 weeks, how were the lines at the Flowrider with 2800 onboard? 

Freedom has been sailing a lot longer than Mariner, I am sure mariner will get more and more guest as she continues on.

But I was following a Symphony, Allure and Oasis live blog and the chair hogs are back. They seem to be more prevalent at CocoCay then anything. I read about one lady who got there and took off all her clothes to reserve daybeds, then never even used them.

16 hours ago, DuaneG said:

We are sailing on Freedom at the end of next month and just wondering what the capacity of ships are right now? 50% 75%? Are the lines long?

We were on Freedom of the Seas from September 13th through 17th and sailed at about 40% occupancy. There was never a line for anything and just the right amount of people to have fun. Reservations are required for almost every activity, including dining options and the buffet was closed for dinner

What activities are aboard? I've been looking at the cruise planner that populated ahead of my sailing in 2 days on the Freedom of the seas and I'm not seeing any shows or game shows or many of the activities I'm used to going to on Royal Caribbean ships. From people who have been onboard are any of these things still going on?